Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini Ultra Stick

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:02 PM
GoldKraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Ultra Stick

ORIGINAL: wedgewing

Gold kraft

thanks for the very detailed set up for the JR, which from what I understand is very similar in set up to the DX7. I hope you did not fly immediately after you typed that (hoping that it was a cut and paste). I will give it a run and get my hobby saw out to free the aileron from the flap again.

Snow is almost gone so it is MUS time

KP
Yep ...cut and paste. Here is the link to the pdf which will be easier to read.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...rogramming.pdf
Old 04-01-2008, 12:09 AM
GoldKraft

Woo...hooo I got the quad flaps installed and working with my DX7. I went straight by the 7202 setup. Had to mess around with some servo reversing to get the full ailerons working right but its all good now. The only thing I couldnt figure out was how to get flaps only. My three position flap switch goes from normal to some crow to full crow. I ll keep playing with it till I figure it all out but its ready to fly as is. The elevator to flap mix should be interesting as well. Probably will be thurs till i can try it out[8D]
Old 04-27-2008, 04:42 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Anybody using a AXI instead of a Park 480? Thanks!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 AM
theskunk

I just tried out a new setup on mine:

3s 1200
10x7E
Hang-it 2217/08

Watt meter shows pulling 21-23 amps static load @ 250w. I got 8 minutes on that pack yesterday flying the crap out of it.

I did have to tape over the joints to control the surface flutter but it really does haul the mail now. I also removed the landing gear via a very specialized maneuver involving the runway, some grass, and a delicate landing. (okay, so i pankaked it and ran it into the grass...)

I noticed immediately that i'm happier with its in air performance, so i'm going to start looking for a lightweight set of landing gear (like they carry at 3d hobby shop)

Anyways, just thought i'd let you know.

for the motor, its about 30.00 from eastrc.org

-Rob
Old 05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

50 plus flights and its awesome ..this plane really moves! Way to much fun!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 PM
skyhawk73

I keep spare MUS parts of everything. Flying the Mini Ultra Stick at home helps keep fine-tuning sharp,
so that weekends at the flying field are more fun.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:02 PM
icejay55

hey guys i just got the mini ultra stick i have an e-flite 480 motor that i have not used will it handle it or what do you guys recommend i dont do 3d i just like to do roll loops and speed
Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 PM
sgf323

The 480 will work fine.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62...tm.htm#6286701
Old 05-30-2008, 08:33 PM
wedgewing

absolutely agree, 480 is great.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:13 AM
GoldKraft

Well I ripped the bottom out of my MUS today. I was doing some crazy over the top landing approaches....going parallel to the runway directly above it about 100ft high ....do a split s right down to the deck ....hit the crow flaps to slow it down after the dive and land her with a 10 to 15ft roll....really breathtaking effect when done perfectly. I have done this at least 30 times....well a gust of wind caught me on the dive today and pancaked me. Its fixable ....but I have so much epoxy in this plane that its time to retire it and get another one.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 AM
wedgewing

sorry to hear that Goldkraft. after the 4th rebuild, I don't know if there is such a thing as too much epoxy in our MUSs.

on the last one I placed it in another room until a rainy day. I guarantee you can just tear off the coating (save the blue stripe to iron back on) and gut it to its box shape. I had removed quite a bit of glue after using some card stock to create a template for a new front. Now it is a solid piece and not a puzzle glued together.

This one is going on more than two years of fun and sometime crazed flying and while the wing tilts a little it is still flying. Give it a day or so before you make the call on it. On this last rebuild I removed all my flaps and restored the plane to simple full length ailerons. when this one finally dies I will build the new one with flaps again. Might as well let the beast fly its final days (who knows how long that will be) without any brakes

KP
Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 PM
GoldKraft

WW...very true on the epoxy....the extra weight is what makes it fly so great in the wind. Ill probably fix it and continue to beat on it like a rented mule
Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
skyhawk73

Been there, done that.
Then, I bought a new RTF - swapped the motor witha 480 and a SpeedControll 40
and never looked back.
If it happens again, I'll seriously concider modifying a MUS RTF again rather than
flying a wrinkled, buckled, repair job again.
Got one on standby.
Sky
Old 06-02-2008, 07:41 PM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: skyhawk73

Been there, done that.
and never looked back.
If it happens again, I'll seriously concider modifying a MUS RTF again rather than
Got one on standby.
Sky
Man yould be surprised at how good my repair work looks....form 20ft away
Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
wedgewing

ORIGINAL: GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: skyhawk73

Been there, done that.
and never looked back.
Got one on standby.
Sky
Man yould be surprised at how good my repair work looks....form 20ft away
Cheers to that! Mine only looks slightly like a crinkled cigarette in areas if you get really close. Michelle Pfeiffer looks excellent at flying distance and who is going to say that a few age wrinkles detracts from the frame's appearance
Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 PM
skyhawk73

Eazy Greezy !
My friend tried to discribe the joy in building and repairing.
I had no clue what he was feeling,
I'd rather fly.
Leave the modeling to modelers.
Let's Fly,
Sky
Old 06-14-2008, 01:10 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Just wondering if the 450 motor will fly this plane with enough authority to have fun with it? [8D]
Old 06-14-2008, 02:51 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I fly mine with the 450 and it does a great job. Plane does a nice slow roll, loops and axial rolls also. I don't find it limited in any way. I'm not a 3D flyer, though.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:21 PM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: rclement

Just wondering if the 450 motor will fly this plane with enough authority to have fun with it? [8D]
450 ...flies well enough. 480...sets your hair on fire
Old 09-10-2008, 03:59 PM
wedgewing

"The Price Increases are Coming.....The Price Increases are Coming!....."

I hate to be the Pricing Paul Revere but..........did anyone see the new pricing through Horizon on the MUS? Someone had tipped me of to the increase on RCG

I have posted a similar point on the MPXT page since many of us fly that plane too

Essentially a 30% increase in price now with the cost going from $99.99 at my LHS on existing stock (mirrors Horizon pricing) to the new prices posted on Horizon's website of ............$129.99......

$30 upcharge on the MPXT too......Now $139.99

I know costs go up and increases in costs are a norm but American's get out the pitch forks and torches when pharmaceutical prices go up 5%. The next time you are looking at your MUS......take a good stare at it and attempt to guess the price of it based on the parts....

Don't get mad about this massive price increase......Just tell yourself that the $30 is going to the workers.......

I was just looking at my 2 year old MUS that I have repaired many times after high speed ground kisses and considering picking up a new one when the backorder had cleared and stock arrived at the LHS. Now, I am seriously considering how much balsa and basswood sheeting you can buy for $30..... I now think the crinkled cigarette look mine has is a proud badge of courage

The MUS is still less expensive than the MPXT and in my mind E Flite just moved that product off my pricing tolerance chart (relative to similar size products within that class).

Only time will tell as to how the increases will affect sales of these products or the other ones affected by the $30 increase on new stock. My concern is they are really big and have a better ability to manage economies of scale than the more "boutique" products from smaller companies. The price gap between E Flite, GP and smaller operations is reduced with an increase like this and I now see some planes listed at $199.99 from a smaller player as "more within reach" since I am already going to get boned on the brand I have supported for a long time now.

I know the guys from E Flite read these posts and I hope the "reflexive" answer just doesn't come back to the standard "cost of shipping, fuel, etc" because those are known and I see nothing on the website as this 30% being a temporary surcharge to be reduced as Oil costs come back down.

Dear E Flite.....I like the MUS product but I am going to send you a letter with a tea bag stapled to it. You are not "minding the gap" when it comes to the pricing breakpoint between picking up your box and going somewhere else.

[sm=punching.gif]
Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 PM
GoldKraft

I hear ya and considering I can buy a Precision Aerobatics Katana Mini for $119 which I consider superior in quality why should I even give Eflite a second look[>:]
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
wedgewing

I have my Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 one day away from completion.

http://www.extra260.com/photos.html

Now that E Flite's price increases walk them within $60 - $70 of something like the PA, why wouldn't you just go for it. Enjoy the Katana...

PA just came out with their Ultimate Bipe. Had thought about doing the new E Flite, but I am really diggin the PA stuff. The stiff $$$$ stuff may just make me walk

http://www.ultimateamr.com/

Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: wedgewing

I have my Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 one day away from completion.

Youll love that plane ....Ive had mine for a couple of months now. I still fly my MUS every time I go out though. Also you can buy the 3DHS 47" Extra 300 for $159.....another great plane for $30 than the MUS now. I have that plane too....its my favorite after only a handful of flights with it....its so stable in a harrier and so forgiving.....the PA260 is forgiving but not as stable in a harrier(more wing rock). The 300 handles wind better than the 260 also but the MUS has both of them beat in wind handling ability.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:56 AM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

Donald's Hobbies has the best price on the MUS. [link=http://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=47563]best price[/link] You have to add it to your cart to get the sale price. $110

Here's mine. I have a speed 400 setup but plan to upgrade in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75972.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1050112  
Old 10-12-2008, 02:48 PM
wedgewing

Check out this bad boy.....I saw others starting to spec the Turnigy 35-36C 1100kv on the MPXT and figured I needed some additional pucker for the MUS now that this thread has drifted a little.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3886&Product_Name=TR_35-36C_1100kv_Brushless_Outrunner_(Eq:_AXi_2814

for the grand amount of $25.10 you get this motor (I have flown it several times before putting it up here as a recommendation) and add $34 for the Turnigy Plush 40 amp ESC and I know have a plane that feels almost twice as fast and growls!

I chose USPS express and I still break even on the cost of the Park equivalent.

I was just out herding the neighborhood pigeons when my friend the Red Tailed Hawk busted out of the trees after my MUS (it hates it). This time I was outpacing him at 1/2 throttle as he attempted to chase me. I soon pointed it skyward and was gone!

This motor has opened up a whole new chapter for the MUS, so if you are looking to add some incredible power and zip to the MUS, I highly recommend it. I am going to add some additional cooling ports to it.

enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86790.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1050355  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.