Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini Ultra Stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:43 PM
av8r1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mini Ultra Stick

My nylon LG bolts are Sig brand 4-40 x 1/2". Found them at the LHS. I gave them a real good test today after many flights with no problems. I glanced away from my plane for an instant to see where someone else's plane was and the wind knocked my MUS down onto the runway so hard that it knocked the hatch off. I kept flying expecting the gear to fall off but it's still on there and strong as ever. Those little bolts are tough!

Welcome 66-stang. I had one of those once. Great car!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:26 PM
skyhawk73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the plunge and made the 50 mile X-Country to visit Home Depot and Lowes'. Home depot let me down and Lowes' had nylon screws from size 6 on up. Not a #4 to be had.

Still waiting for a Zippety Do Da Flight with my MUS. Fast and Furious yet my goal is landing on a 30FT RWY. The DITCH at the approach end of the RWY shears my #4 nylon screws. No damage to the FUSE YET.

I'm too green to tap or blindnut a #6 in there. I like #4's. Did a few bounce and goes and the #4 nylon held up good.

I'm so addicted to the MUS that I'm surprised I'm handling the "Patience" thing so well.

Sky

Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 PM
av8r1

ORIGINAL: skyhawk73

Fast and Furious yet my goal is landing on a 30FT RWY. The DITCH at the approach end of the RWY shears my #4 nylon screws. No damage to the FUSE YET.
Do you have flaperons set up? They help a lot for short field landings. Crow slows it down real good too if you go that route.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
skyhawk73

Whats' CROW. I've come across the term several times and figure it's a complex maneuver that I'm not up to yet. I figure it's an acronym for "Curved Runway Over Water".?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:54 AM
skyhawk73

Flaperons ? Hummm...

I fly with a six channel Futaba Computer transmitter. I'm gonna look into the manual to see if I can configure some flaps that way. My ailerons are hooked up to #1 and #6 on the reciever in order to bypass the use of a Y cord.

Flaps would probably help since I'm at minimum controllable airspeed on final and, coming straight at me I can hardly tell how close to a stall I am. The controlls are sloppy at that airspeed but I can't afford much of a landing roll since my driveway is sorta short . I tried landing in the yard but the grass must be too thick because I can't keep the tail down after touchdown in the grass. The "nose-over" doesn't cause damage but it looks terrible. The driveway touchdowns are pretty but I gotta practice allot since I got no brakes.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Cyberflight

Crow is when the ailerons and flaps move to a set point in opposite directions (air brakes). They move together with the control of your ailerons on the transmitter. It just reduces the speed that the plane will travel. This would help with the short driveway.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Fliprob17

Flaperons ? Hummm...

I fly with a six channel Futaba Computer transmitter. I'm gonna look into the manual to see if I can configure some flaps that way. My ailerons are hooked up to #1 and #6 on the reciever in order to bypass the use of a Y cord.

Flaps would probably help since I'm at minimum controllable airspeed on final and, coming straight at me I can hardly tell how close to a stall I am. The controlls are sloppy at that airspeed but I can't afford much of a landing roll since my driveway is sorta short . I tried landing in the yard but the grass must be too thick because I can't keep the tail down after touchdown in the grass. The "nose-over" doesn't cause damage but it looks terrible. The driveway touchdowns are pretty but I gotta practice allot since I got no brakes.
If you have the Futaba 6EX-PCM, you should be able to set it up so that the adjustable knob on the top right (to the right of the antenna) is used to adjust the flaps as you come in. But you may have to go with the Y-cord so the ailerons are on the same channel, not sure though, have not tried it on my 6EX-PCM yet, you may be able to set the channels for each aileron seperately?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:54 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

CROW is generally found in Glider programming. If your TX has glider programming, check your manual.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:11 PM
av8r1

I've used flaperons on Hitec 5 & 6 channel transmitters, and the Futaba 9C. I'm not familiar with Futaba 6 channel radios, but if it's a computer one, I would think there's a way to do it. Good advice on using the knob if it's that one and checking the manual for your radio. I believe you need at least 7 channels to do crow, that's what I have the 9C for. There may be a way to do flaps with 6 channels and a "Y" cable, but I'd go for flaperons first. They should be the easiest to implement and they work very well slowing this plane down. Crow and flaps require more work and may or may not be any better than flaperons, but I just had to try 'em.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:40 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

av8r1

I use a Spektrum DX6 with my MUS and have programmed it for flaperons. However, I've experienced smoother landings without flaps than with them. It becomes a little unstable when I turn the flaps on and does not really slow the plane down.

I'm using only 30% throw on the flaps. Is that too little?
Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 AM
kevestes

Took the plunge and made the 50 mile X-Country to visit Home Depot and Lowes'. Home depot let me down and Lowes' had nylon screws from size 6 on up. Not a #4 to be had.

I dedicated my Saturday doing the same thing. I did locate them at ACE Hardware after hitting four other places. My visit to Home Depot discovered a 6-32 with a toothed thumbscrew head that works great for the wing.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:41 PM
skyhawk73

I don't know why I'm so concerned with the undercarriage. Now that you mention it, all my other planes have nylon screws holding the wing on. It's a no brainer that a MUS should have nylon screws on the wing as well. Thanks for shineing the light for me. Ma Bad. I'm gonna go get some nylon 6X32's from the lhs for my wing fix.. He's been trying to sell em to me along with some #6 blind nuts to replace the 4X40 setup holding the undercarriage on. I just don't have the nerve to do it fore one of you guys has tried it with success. The lhs guy did say that my changing from a 12X6 prop to a 11X7 didn't help one bit. I'm trying to slow down not speed up. I didn't notice the melodeous sound from the 11X7 nor any speed difference since I'm mainly seeking to become competent flying off my drive-way. Once that hurtle is crossed with adequate proficiency, I'll move on to evaluating speed and doing a few maneuvers. Right now, I'm engrossed in the challenge of short field LANDINGS. I got it goin on with the flaperons without a Y cord during preflight but haven't tried slow flight with full flaperons. ( I'm still grounded cause I can't find any 4X40 nylon screws. ) The idea of using flaperons might just be another factor adding to the complexity of a dooable sort field landing. I'll probably try doing it clean before I complicate things by using flaperons.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Cyberflight

I would like to see pictures of where you're trying to land.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Retired Fighter Pilot
My Feedback: (4)

I'm new to electric. On the PNP, will a Hitic Micro 05S receiver work with the installed servos?
Thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 06:59 PM
skyhawk73

Before going to the lhs to get some 6-32 nylon screws for my wing, I checked the MUS assembly manual only to find that it calls for the perverbial 4-40 screws there too. Are you sure that a 6-32 nylon screw will fit the wing fittings?

I recently changed my shaft in my 480 brushless motor. Not a big deal with the .050 allen wrench. The shaft (EFLM1501) cost $4 from Horrizon.

I asked Horrizon what they recomended for a receiver and they said the Hitec Electron 6 with eflight S75 sub micro servos. I told them I like getting hitec S55 servos from my lhs. Horrizon said the PNP is outfitted with eflight S75 which have been found to out perform the hitec S55's and cost the same price.

I use a hemostat to remove the sheared nylon screw from within the fuse. I can't believe I've done it ten times without damage to the fuse. The manual calls for a 4-40 1/2 inch screw for the landing gear but if you use a longer nylon screw it's a piece of cake to remove when it shears.

I hope to advance to a point where I no longer shear the nylon screw holding the landing gear on. Today, I'm bummed out because shipment of 4-40 nylon screws is delayed.

I live across from a golf course. I do maneuvers over fairway #5 then approach with a long final to a 50 foot driveway. My truck is usually parked in the last 18 feet so I'm trying to land in the first 30 ft. I don't know how to put a pic of my runway on here but after doing several successful landings, I know it can be done in 30 ft. I love the way the MUS kicks to the left at the end of it's landing rollout. If I could only perfect the precision touchdown point, I'd be a happy flyer. It will happen in time. Those successful landings were with a 12X6e prop and then I went with the 11X7 because one of you guys said it sounded better and thats when all hell broke loose and I sheared several #4 screws. My LHS guy intellectually said go back to the 12X6e prop but now I can't find a #4 screw.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:25 PM
av8r1

ORIGINAL: jmir

av8r1

I use a Spektrum DX6 with my MUS and have programmed it for flaperons. However, I've experienced smoother landings without flaps than with them. It becomes a little unstable when I turn the flaps on and does not really slow the plane down.

I'm using only 30% throw on the flaps. Is that too little?
Unfortunately, I've since split my ailerons into separate flaps so I can't check how much my flaperon deflection was. I don't remember for sure but I don't think it was a whole lot. It doesn't take much, and too much will make it hard to control. I usually program 2 levels of flaperon deflection and usually end up using the lower amount. It will get less stable the more flaperon you use. It might take a little getting used to the flaperons before you get comfortable with them. I'm not sure how much 30% on a DX6 is, but you might try less, although I don't understand why it's not slowing it down. Mine landed nice and slow without flaperons as long as I kept a little power on and kept the nose up a bit, but a little bit of flaperons slowed it down even more. I always used them to land when I flew it at my little home runway in my back yard. I don't know if your prop might be a factor in keeping it from slowing down. I use an APC 12x6E prop on mine.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:55 AM
jmir

I'll try less flaperon to see if it helps. I was using a 10 X 3.8 prop for a little more power, trying to hover, but I was not very successful. I'm currently using a 10 X 7 prop which works very good for me. I take off and land at a regular airfield with a 2,800 foot runway and lots of open space. But, they don't mow the grass very low, so the shorter prop works better on grass landings and take offs.

I don't have any problems with smooth landings without flaperons. The MUS is very stable. Just wanted to experiment with it and see if I could slow it down even further.

I've been looking at the ultra stick 25E and hearing good things about it. Maybe, just maybe, that may be my next airplane since I like the MUS so much.

Thanks for the comments/advice.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Cyberflight

This is my conversion for a tail wheel on the MUS. Works great and the magnet is more than strong enough to hold the wheel in place. With the magnet there is no stress put on the rudder servo. I've put in 4 flights since the conversion and it works great!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26436.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	509844  
Old 08-20-2006, 09:23 PM
traxxboy

Hello, I am about to loose my land flying field and need a sport plane on floats. I like the MUS pnp. I want to keep it cheap so I wanted the mini. Has anyone put floats on it. Thank you
Old 08-22-2006, 08:55 AM
planetwister
My Feedback: (17)

I going to put floats on mine, my LHS is ordering me an MUS today. I am going to use GWS floats.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: jmir

Once nylon screws brake off, do you have a problem digging them out?

ORIGINAL: mrdakota

Twisting a #11 x-acto blade does the job for me.
If you're lucky the bolts will shear off with enough sticking out to get a grip on, but if they break off flush it's more diffcult.
Jamming an Xacto blade into the bolt and twisting it like a screwdriver will work and we did it that way for years, but that's the hard way. I've found it easier to use longer nylon bolts, pull the wing off, and twist them out from the top side with a pair of hemostats or plyers.

EDIT

I use a hemostat to remove the sheared nylon screw from within the fuse.
I posted before I read this.

Those successful landings were with a 12X6e prop and then I went with the 11X7 because one of you guys said it sounded better and thats when all hell broke loose and I sheared several #4 screws.
Uhhhhh, sorry about that. I haven't found my planes lands any faster with the 11/7, but I fly at a pretty big field so it doesn't really matter as much as if I were flying out of somewhere tight.

My LHS guy intellectually said go back to the 12X6e prop but now I can't find a #4 screw.
Almost any hardware store will carry them. I've gotten them at Ace and Lowes and even Home depot. They are much, much cheaper there than at a LHS. I believe in supporting the LHS, but if I can buy the screws for 10 times less at Lowes, that's where I'm getting them. Also, you can get them in different lengths at hardware stores, whereas I believe the Dubros come in only one size.

More Editing

Since I fly off a hard runway, this is a little tough on the tail skids. Thbe little studs that extend from the skid into the stabilizer aren't very long, and it doesn't take much to pull them out. One thing I discovered it the studs are spaced exactly like the ones on the skids that come with the mini Edge 540 and mini Funtana. If you drill the eixisting holes a little larger and deeper the Mini Edge/Funtana skid fits just fine, but then if you glue it in, you give up the ability to remove/adjust the stabilizer.

I got around this by using a Dubro allen servo screw. The screw is long enough that it goes through the stab and into the plyweood on the bottom of the fuse, so you don't have to worry about it pulling out. If I break a skid, I just remove the screw and it comes right off.

Also, with the 480 motor and big 2100mah battery, the Minis usually come out a bit nose heavy, and the Dubro screw is long enough that I can run it through an 1/8 ouch of lead before I install it. This makes for a nice, adjustable tail weight mount. I hate to add an weight, but I've got everything as far back as I can get it.

I suppose with a little more effort I could just as easily instal a decent tail wheel and that would give me a litte needed weight back there, but I'm waiting for E Flite to update the plane. They are putting tailwheels on the 25E and the new Mini Pulse has one too. The way those wheels are installed they don't look like they will cause any problems. The one on my 25Eworks beautifully and I didn't have to do a thing to it. It came pre-installed on the fin assembly and all I did was put the fin on the exact same way I do with the mini. It's very well though out and executed.

E flite hasn't updated the Mini Ultra Stick because enough of us haven't been complaining over it, so make your feelings known that you'de like a factory installed tailwheel for your mini. I would rather just buy a replacement tail section for $15 or $20 with the tailwheel installed than chop up my existing plane. I'de pay $20 for a mini kit if it came with the tailwheel installed, especially if it's done as nicely as it is on the 25E

Old 08-22-2006, 02:01 PM
skyhawk73

I have really enjoyed flying the Slow Stick with uneventfull landings in my front yard and back yard. However, enough already with only the rudder and elevator. I'm not kewl enough to install ailerons on my Slow Stick. Therefore, I asked my LHS to find me a plane symetrical wings and ailerons that might be flown in tight spaces.

I was thrilled when he produced such a fine plane as the MUS. He cautioned me to fly the MUS at the flying field for awhile before attempting to fly it at home. Flight in "wide open spaces" was sooo enjoyable with the MUS. Even Short Field approaches and landings were predictable. However, the transition to flying at home has not been pretty nor enjoyable. I'm on my third MUS still trying to stay out of the trees, ditches and power lines.

It took me three hours to get my newest MUS out of a nearby tree and the frustration has me thinking that the MUS is much too fast for tight flying. I'm to the point where I think nothing can replace the Slow Stick but I hate to go back to it after getting to know the MUS. After a taste of the MUS, the Slow Stick will be boring. If I'm goin to the airfield, I'd rather fly my Nitro stuff and keep the park flyer stuff for at home. Sadly, the MUS falls "in between".
Old 08-22-2006, 07:06 PM
jmir

Take a look at E-flite's Ultimate FX. I fly mine in very tight spaces as well as open fields. No problem flying it in my front yard, especially doing harriers and hovers. I must admit, I like flying it in open fields much better, without having to worry about trees, power lines and the house!!

Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 PM
traxxboy

ORIGINAL: planetwister

I going to put floats on mine, my LHS is ordering me an MUS today. I am going to use GWS floats.
Tell me how that works out
Old 08-22-2006, 11:02 PM
planetwister
My Feedback: (17)

I will, I probably will have It ready to fly off water by saturday or sunday maybe earlier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.