Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Monster Pitts EP - Anyone Try It ?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Goldberg Monster Pitts EP - Anyone Try It ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Monster Pitts EP - Anyone Try It ?

Does anyone have the Goldberg Monster Pitts 38". What do you think ? They are only $99.00 at Towers.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:24 PM
SackOHammers

Default RE: Goldberg Monster Pitts EP - Anyone Try It ?

Funny, was looking at this myself today. I found this which might be helpful:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676743

I think I'll keep looking around to find a good Pitts. The size is about what I was thinking.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Don M.

After reading that thread I see why their $99.00. I think I'll keep looking also. The Zero Gravity one is double the price but seems worth the extra cash. But it's not as pretty []
Old 02-15-2008, 03:00 PM
SackOHammers

I definitely like the color scheme on the Goldberg over the Zero Gravity. The Zero Gravity is also a little larger, heavier, etc. Closer to the Hangar 9 Fokker DVII size.
Have you run across any build threads or reviews of the Zero Gravity?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Don M.

In the same area as the other one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710402
Old 02-15-2008, 05:47 PM
SackOHammers

People seem to like it. I wish I were skilled at covering, though... it would make it easier for me to decide.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 PM
SackOHammers

Don I've been drooling over that Zero Gravity plane all evening.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...t=74539&page=5
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710402

I've gotten through about 70 pages, but I can see now between the E-flight, the Goldberg, and the Zero G, that the Zero G is the way to go, hands down.

I want to thank you for telling me about this model.

Thanks,
Hammers
Old 02-16-2008, 10:25 AM
jrwilliams27

I have the ZG Python and it flies incredible. I love it and it does take a lot of abuse. The CF gear really take a beating. I have been using a Hacker A30-10XL, 40 amp ESC, and a 3300 mAh 3s lipo and power is not a problem I have dressed up mine a little and it looks great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40596.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	880149  
Old 02-16-2008, 12:33 PM
SackOHammers

Thanks jrwilliams.

What would the total shopping list look like for this plane? Did you get the plane and power package from Zero G?
I need to put together a complete shopping list and since you've already done it I was wondering if you could help out.

I'd like to know everything needed right down to how many servo extension cables, y-cables, spinner, etc. If you don't have time that is fine, I can do the research, I just thought I'd ask someone who has put it together already.

Thanks,
Hammers
Old 02-16-2008, 10:29 PM
jrwilliams27

Here is what is needed:

Python - this is a good start[8D]
Hacker A30-10XL
40 amp brushless ESC (you could go up to 55 or 60 if you would like) - I like the switching BEC versions like the Hacker has, but it doesn't have to be switching
6V BEC - if the ESC does not have a BEC built in, most do, but if not then you'll have to get a BEC (the 6V will give you best performance if using a seperate BEC)
(4) Hitec HS-65HB or equilavent
(1) Y-connector
(2) 4-6" servo extensions
(1) 12" servo extension
(1) set of deans connectors
receiver - I love my Spektrum AR6000
MPI spinner - I read that someone used an MPI spinner for scale appearance. You can browse this forum [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710402]here[/link] and see what they used for spinners. There are a couple different ones that can be modified to work.
I would recommend a 3000+ mAh lipo 3s or a 2200+ 4s and, of course, a charger
Thin CA
Medium CA
Allen wrenches
phillips screwdrivers
ruler

I haven't done a ballpark figure if that is what you are looking for as far as price, but I could guestimate if you like. I did not get the power combo, since I went with the Hacker motor I had lying around waiting for a good home (it found the home its been waiting for.

I believe that is everything. If you have any other questions just let me know. Have fun!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Don M.

Well you convinced me I ordered a ZG Pitts today
Old 02-17-2008, 01:28 PM
SackOHammers

jrwilliams,

Thank you very kindly for making that shopping list, I really appreciate it.
I'm not familiar with Hacker's product lines. Can you tell me the difference between using the A30-14L vs the A30-10XL?
I was wondering about that MPI spinner myself. Milandrah is the one that brought it up, on this page:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...710402&page=47
And I was wondering if it would work with the Hacker. This is good news.

Is this a good choice for the ESC w/ BEC? Not necessarily this vendor (its the first that came up in google):
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...RS-HACKER.html
That hacker seems to have a 3 amp BEC so I wouldn't need an additional.

What about motor mount? If I buy that motor will I need a mount separately?
Prop adapter?

I'm assuming the Spektrum AR6100 Receiver would be fine for this plane? I have a DX7 radio.

Don M.
Did you buy director or from a vendor? Which vendor, the 'Quiet' RC guy's site seems to have it on backorder.

I'm ready to buy, hehe.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Don M.

Yep I bought it from Quiet R/C. They will get a new shipment this week and are shipping out on Wed. or Thurs. I wanted the combo with the Hacker 30 - 10XL but they are out so I ordered the 10XL from a Canadian dist. RCToys.com I had to settle for a Thunderbird 54 ESC but all in all I think it will come together just fine.

I am really impressed with the service I got from Quiet R/C. I e - mailed them yesterday about a couple of concerns and got an answer back on a Saturday night. I placed the order this A.M. ( Sunday ) and had a personal e - mail back already from a guy named Chris thanking me for the order and telling me that he would take extra care in packing everything because it was going acrossed the border and everything. If the plane is as good as the service it will be great.

I've been flying glow / gas for over 20 years and just got hooked on this electric thing ( also have a Mini Funtana X ). In 3 or 4 months I already have about $1200.00 into 2 planes and equipment [X(]

Oh well I just turned 62 and the EXIT sign maybe just around the corner - got to play while I can
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 PM
SackOHammers

I agree with you Don, you can't take it with you.

I'm having trouble finding a vendor that has the motor and ESC in stock. QuietRC has neither. RCToys has the motor, but not the ESC (plus they're in Canada). I might just buy direct from their outlet.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Don M.

I ran into the same problem with the motor ESC that's why I ordered a CC ESC, it really doesn't matter to the motor what ESC your using as long as it's a good quality like CC.

Hey what's wrong with buying Canadian ? I buy from the US of A all the time Even when our $$$ was worth crap [] I leave my money where I get the goods & services I want
Old 02-18-2008, 11:26 AM
SackOHammers

Don,

Thanks for the advice on the ESC. I'm still a newb, but working things out.

I agree with you about rewarding good companies with your business, I'm just not familiar with that vendor. As for doing business with Canadians I have absolutely no problem. I was just wondering about shipping, customs, etc.

However... I will say that I was supposed to have a webmeeting with a guy in Ontario this morning. It was supposed to start 25 minutes ago. Finally I got ahold of the switchboard and they told me that today there is a new holiday in Ontario. Its called "Family Day". I couldn't tell if she was joshing me or what, haha. He did schedule the meeting for today, afterall. Good times.

I need to get this shopping done and get my parts ordered... so maybe it is beneficial that the meeting was cancelled.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:19 PM
jrwilliams27

SackOHammers,

Sorry it took so long to get back with you. I have driven almost 1000 miles in 2 days and had a meeting, so I am trying to get caught up. Don is right the 55 amo ESC will work fine. I use the 40 amp and it works great. I don't see a reason why the AR6100 receiver would not work. I use that in my EF Yak-54 and have no problems at all.

The motor includes the mounting plate and prop adapters. I got the MPI spinner, but you will have to do some modifications to make it work. I did not use the spinner since it was so nose heavy with my 3300mah lipo, but you can make it work.

I have ordered several things from Canada as well. I get FP lipos from [link]http://www.rcmodels.ca/[/link]. I have had some great service from this company and they have always treated me right[8D]

Did you find a Hacker motor yet? The big difference between the 14L and 10XL is that the 10XL is more powerful motor capable of running at higher watts. It looks like the 14L will top out at 490 watts which would fly the Python okay, but you will not have as much power in vertical manuevers. The 10XL tops out at 650 watts which gives you much more oomph on those vertical pullouts and hovering. From experience the 10XL is the motor of choice even if you will be just doing sport flying as you will have more power to get out of trouble. You may want to try ordering the 10XL from [link=http://www.aero-model.com/motordetails.aspx?series=A30&style=XL]here.[/link] I have used them before and they have sent me free replacement parts and have great customer service.

You will not be disappointed with this plane for sure! If you need anything else let me know.

JW
Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
jrwilliams27

ORIGINAL: Don M.

Well you convinced me I ordered a ZG Pitts today
Nice! I hope this didn't break the wallet too bad[X(] Chris is a great guy and you will like working with him for sure. Now it comes to the hard part - waiting for it to arrive! I waited 4 months and I thought I'd go crazy before I got it
Old 02-18-2008, 03:12 PM
SackOHammers

Great, thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
Also, Aero-Model is Chris' distributor, so I won't have any luck getting from them, hehe.

EDIT:
Found it at espritmodels.com
Here is my BOM, I pulled the trigger on it. I'm excited!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1787
Old 02-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Don M.

Well I got notice yesterday that my Hacker and ESC were shipped - should have them in a few days. I just got notice that the Pitts was shipped today. That will take longer while the Can. Customs does their thing but should have everything in a couple of weeks. I'm 3000 miles away from home right now and won't get back until March 5, so maybe we'll arrive together

JW what prop do you use on the Hacker ? I have a 12 - 6 & a 13 - 6.5 APC E. Any of these good for a start ?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 AM
jrwilliams27

Don,

I am sure you very excited about the Python and the excitement only builds during the build and then especially during the flying!

The 13x6.5 would be okay to start with. I use a 14x7 APC e and it flies it with authority. If you're into 3D you'll like the 14x7 better. The 13x6.5 will be a good one for IMAC and sport flying.

JW