Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 08:34 AM
jatoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ailerons

I've been thinking about moving up to ailerons. I don't plan on moving too soon as I've only had my new plane (Tiger Moth) for a while.
My first question is how are planes with ailerons moved? I know in a real aeroplane it is banked with the ailerons and the turn is coordinated with the rudder. Is this how it is done with RC planes as well?
My second question is would I be ready for ailerons? I have flown an aerobird and a GWS Tiger Moth and I am confident with both of these. I am also doing real flight training so I understand all the theory and how to do it in a real plane.
My third question is would the Great Planes DC-3 be a good first aileron plane? (I've got a load of other questions about this plane too but I'll save them for another post.
Thanks for all your help.
Alex.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:21 AM
NMPhi767

Default RE: Ailerons

I would not recommend the DC-3 for a first aileron plane. Get a good stable aileron trainer like the GWS E-Starter or the Mountain Models Dandy Sport. I have heard some postive things about the Wattage Mini Blue Max but I have no experience with that model. If you don't want a aileron trainer and feel you can make a bigger jump, try the GWS Formosa. I know plenty of people that learned to fly with ailerons on that plane, even though they did crash it a few times. Scale models like the DC-3 tend to get pilots in trouble unless they have some intermediate aileron skills.

Coordinated turns are exactly how you described. Bank the plane with the ailerons and feed in some rudder. Many pilots also use the ailerons to bank the airplane 45 degrees, pull up on the elevator to make it loop around and then level the plane back off with the ailerons. This technique, though not as pretty or scale looking as a coordinated turn, does give you a very fast turn.

If you get a good trainer though, you will have little or no trouble switching to ailerons.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:59 PM
jatoo

Thanks for that. The main reason I was lookin at the DC-3 was that it looks so good and also I thought twin motors would be nice. When I moeve up to ailerons I will definately go for the trainer. I have experienced being over confident and thinking "it doesn't matter I'll manage" but it never works out, so I'll definately go for the trainer.
The method you talked about secondly, does the plane sideslip and that is just ignored?
Old 04-05-2004, 07:35 PM
NMPhi767

I have noticed a little slideslip if the plane is moving slowly. At full throttle though, I have not seen this in my planes. They just whip around and keep moving.