Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

To or Not To Shottky Diode

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 11:56 PM
JBoss
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To or Not To Shottky Diode

Hello All,
I have been looking around and from what I can make out a shottky diode may help out cooling of the speed control and add some power to the motor.
I have a speed 480 Race graupner and a JETI 180 speed controller on my plane.
Would installing a shottky Diode help me , Hinder me , Or is it not reccommended with the Jeti controller. I did email JETI direct and will respond with thier reply But what do you guys think.

Thanks In Advance,
JimB
Old 06-20-2004, 08:39 PM
mdiehl

Default RE: To or Not To Shottky Diode

Using a diode across the motor will not hinder you in any way that I know of, and will help eliminate motor brush noise. As to effect on the ESC it will help prevent high voltage spikes from making it to the ESC which is also a very good thing!

Just make sure you connect it correctly, (Cathode(Banded end) to motor Positive, and Anode end to Motor Negative).
Old 06-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Definitely make sure it's connected correctly. A friend of mine slipped one in on me. When the motor ran backwards, we swapped the leads, but didn't flip the diode over. Next time we went to fire it up, BAM! Smoke starts rolling out from the fuselage. The diode had exploded from the roughly 40 Amps that was flowing through it.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:18 AM
JBoss
My Feedback: (1)

Hello All,
I did get the responce back from JETI lots fasted then I am posting it. Cheers to rapid support response from Jeti.
tHE jeti 180 ALREADY HAS THE DIODES BIULT INTO IT.

"It is not necessary to add any diode. Protection diodes are inside of controller." WAS THE EXACT RESPONSE.
Thanks all for the responces

JimB