Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speed 400 ESC, battery, charger choices

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Speed 400 ESC, battery, charger choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 07:31 AM
bobbart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed 400 ESC, battery, charger choices

Matt, can you help me on the purchase of buying the correct Accessories from Hobby Lobby for the C-130.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed400.htm the motors are SPEED 400 6V Motor Direct Drive

I will need a speed controllers Pick out the best one for the four above motors

I will need a Battery pack or packs Pick out the best, remember I need lots of watts......no LiPoly, too much money..but if you think
I should get Lipoly, just tell me.

I will need a battery charger Pick out the best for the above packs

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/propadap.htm

I will need Prop Adapters for these propellers http://www.gws-online.com/products.p...pid=EP05043-6P

Thanks So Much Matt for your help, I will purchase all the above from Hobby-Lobby, if you can just copy and paste each item that
I should purchase, just want to make sure I have the correct items. I have the propellers on hand..... 6x4

Thanks Matt
Bob
Old 10-15-2004, 11:07 AM
smokingcrater

Default RE: ****Matt NEED HELP******

ok, i'll give... WHO IS MATT?
Old 10-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Speed 400 ESC, battery, charger choices

Me. I changed the title of the thread since you replied rkramer.

bobbart, please don't post threads with titles like that. I'm not the only one who is capable of answering questions.

As for your equipment, I will not tell you exactly what to buy for the most part, just what to look for. That should be plenty of information for you to make informed choices of your own.

Each Speed 400 motor will draw about 12 Amps. Since they're brushed motors, you can connect them all together and run them off a single speed control. 4 times 12 Amps is 48 Amps, so you need a brushed ESC capable of handling at least 48 Amps.

You will need an 8-cell pack to run the motors. This pack will also need to be capable of handling 48 Amps, and give you a decent flying time. Large SubC NiCd or NiMH are the best choice, unless you want to go LiPoly. Since you don't want to go LiPoly, I would use CP2400 NiCd or GP3300 NiMH for an inexpensive solution.

These packs will need a decent charger. You can get by with something like a ~$45 Hitec CG340, but the NiMH packs will take a couple hours to charge due to its limitation of 1.5 Amps in NiMH mode. Any peak detect charger capable of charging at least 8 cells with a charge rate of at least 3 Amps will be just fine. Hobby Lobby offers several choices. Don't get too hung up on AC capability. All the best chargers are DC only, because a power supply big enough to run them would make them large, heavy, and expensive.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:45 PM
bobbart

Default RE: Speed 400 ESC, battery, charger choices

Thanks Matt for the Info....sorry about posting like that.