Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Whats this? How to make it fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Whats this? How to make it fly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 11:27 PM
hooty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats this? How to make it fly?

I recently acquired this sail plane from my niece and I wonder if someone could tell me what brand or model this is. Hopefully I can upload a picture. I normally fly glow, so I am not familiar with electric. It has a wing span of 78.5" length 42", airframe w/servos and receiver wo/power system is 2lbs6oz. I would like to get this airborne, but am unsure just how to proceed. Its missing the battery pack and it uses a micro switch and a servo, no speed control. Research has lead me to believe this is a speed 600 can motor. The name Mabuchi is stamped on the end. It is 60 mm long, 35mm diameter and weighs 6.8oz , voltage ??, no other markings. Has a 3:1 (12:36 teeth) gearbox with a damaged spar gear and a 12.5" Master airscrew folding prop. Should I find a replacement gear box and get a battery pack (what kind) . I think defiantly a speed control. Or throw the motor and replace the whole system. I don't need unlimited vertical, just good climb and 10-15 min flight. Maybe some ideas as to how to proceed without sinking a whole lot of money into it.

Hugh[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58682.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	182947  
Old 10-14-2004, 11:48 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Whats this? How to make it fly?

This has to be an Airtronics Eclipse. I just got rid of mine after losing the place I would fly it at and this glider needs some room to search for thermals.[] I had a 35 amp speed control and an E-Tec 2400 2s2p battery to meet the amp draw but it would get warm. Great plane, I had mine up over 700' numerous times and wish I could still fly it but that is another story. Yes that is a speed 600 motor and mine flew fine with that so if it works I wouldn't replace it.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:51 PM
INeedHelp

Just thought, are you refering to the servo the plans called out for the motor control if so I would remove that and just use the speed controller to save the weight. If there are three servos installed then that is what it was for.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:56 AM
hooty

I did some searching and yes , it is indeed an Airtronics Eclipse. That already helps for setting up a power system. Yes there are three servos, one has a micro switch attached. I'll repace it with a speed control. What is the voltage of that batery pack?
Old 10-15-2004, 07:52 PM
INeedHelp

I was using a 7.4 volt li-poly but then I don't have any nicads or nickle metal batteries so I was stuck. I would try what ever batteriy type you have just make sure they can handle 20+ amps.

I am not that good with the other battery types to make a suggestion but if you use li-polies then the 2100 Thunder Power should be ok.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:59 PM
hooty

Thanks, INeedHelp. I'm doing a lot of reading and things are stating to make a little sense.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Eclipse was one of my first electrics.
I found the performance with 6 and 7 cell nicads to be poor.
With the Master Airscrew gearbox on a 600 sized motor, 8 cells, a 13x10 prop, the plane has more than pleasing altitude capability, with low capacity battery packs. I use 800 to 1400 mah cells in mine, as the weight of the larger cells detracts from the glide performance, and the lighter packs let the plane climb more than high enough anyway.
Here's mine and my brother's, taken about 12 years ago.
I've used the Eclipse wing on a photo plane recently... it's on the foreground plane. The other wing is based on the Eclipse, but has different wing tips. for testing the effect of tip dihedral.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75564.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	183209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29740.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	183210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15528.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.1 KB