Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Power switch for battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 12:22 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power switch for battery

Alright, I give up. Last week I happened across a post about someone asking about a power switch for his electric plane that would allow him to cut power to the receiver/ESC without having to unplug anything. At the time I didn't pay too much attention because I was just thinking about getting a plane. Now I have a Mini Ultra Stik that I'm working on getting together and I'm having the issue of trying to figure out how to turn off the power to the internals without having to unplug anything. I would prefer to be able to just flip a switch because 1)Dean's plugs are a pain in the **** to get apart (can be a good thing) and 2) the wear and tear on the plugs seems unnecessary.

So, in summary, does anyone have any suggestion for a switch that I could use?

Thanks in advance,
Beardking

BTW: I'm using an E-Flite Park 400 brushless with a 20amp E-flite controller and 11.4v 1500mah battery.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Power switch for battery

Main switches are a bad idea. It's dangerous in that anyone can flip the switch by accident and cause your plane to turn into a raving wolverine in the pits. It's expensive in that it's not only extra cost, but a moment of forgetfulness will cost you a battery because the ESC is always draining energy any time the battery is connected. It's an extra point of complication. It's an extra point of failure. It's extra weight; we're not talking about a little toggle switch here.

There are too many disadvantages and not enough advantages. I would highly recommend that you seek out some of the techniques people have shared on loosening up Dean's Ultra connectors to make them easier to connect. Personally, I will plug a male end into a female and give the male end a good bit of torture with the soldering iron to loosen up the fit.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:13 PM
george2005

Possibly an in-line automotive fuse, the common modern blade type fuse, on one of the battery leads would be easier to install and use than a switch, and weight would be less than a switch. Just be sure to install one with a fuse that is of adequate size to handle the amps your power system will be requiring of the battery. I have never utilized this concept, but it seems better than some alternative approaches and it is simple. Good luck - - -
Old 03-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Dsegal

Arming switches were common with brushed power systems. But you cannot use an arming switch with a brushless motor. When the switch is closed it will fry itself totally due to the large capacitors within the ESC. See the explanation in Bop Kopski's column in the August, 2004 issue of Model Aviation.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:09 PM
tahoecrest

I have a new Hyperion P51 which required removing the wing for battery install and hookup. I wanted to be able to have the battery installed and hooked up and be able to connect battery through a switch or something. The switch method is not feasable so I installed a deans male ultra connector on the posotive side of the battery leads. I fashioned a balsa block to hold the male connector and glued it to the inside of the fuselage and connected the posotive leads on each side. I cut a small whole in the fusealge only big enough to plug in the female side of the connector which I made a shunt from by connecting across the leads. Now when I want power I plug in the female (shunt) connector and it completes the circuit. When I want power off I remove the shunt. It works very well and is secure and allows me to keep the battery connected inside the plane and only remove the wing for battery changes and no waisted elecrticty or charge.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25568.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	434849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13358.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	434850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15592.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	434851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26980.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	434852  
Old 03-29-2006, 09:46 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Well, actually I found a BEC switch at the hobby shop that is designed for use with brushless motors and I'm using that now. I'm not too worried about the weight penalty because as long as my plane flies, I'll be happy and I don't see this thing weighting it down too much. I know I can't just turn off the switch and store the battery in the plane plugged in, but it'll help me with making sure everything is out of the way before I get the battery plugged in to begin with.