Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Nitroplanes Canadair Twin

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitroplanes Canadair Twin

I have a Nitroplanes "Canadair" CL-415 that I am considering an electric install. I would like some help with motor sizes and how to run 2 battery packs together in the fuselage running dual ESC's. I would like to use standard Master Airscrew 11x7 3-blade props. What are my options using outrunners and how do they hold up to water? Plane is 81" wingspan and a flying weight of 10-12 pounds is suggested. I could put the batteries in the nacelles but would rather link them together for even power to both engines. I would also like to keep the weight centralized in the fuselage instead of out on the wings. Seems to me the model would fly better that way. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm34268.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1343910  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Nitroplanes Canadair Twin

Not selling after all? I was tempted

If I was doing a plane like this (which I am, a 96" scratch built version) I'd run the motor's ESCs separately and mix them with the rudder so you have better water taxi ability
I'll be mixing the throttles on the 91 4c engines, I think this is vital if it's at all windy with a plane like this

I'm a noob to electric, can't help ya there, I'm trying to learn too

Good luck, I'd love to see it fly
Old 12-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

No...it's still for sale but I figured to build and fly it if no one wants to pay my price. I have had a couple "tire kickers" but no one has stepped up yet. The engines are located well inboard on the wing so I do not think the rudder/throttle mix is an issue. I do not intend to be flying it in rough water any ways. It has a huge rudder and a water rudder at the step in the hull plus big sub rudder/stabilizers on the elevator.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:16 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

It may not be necessary all the time, but if you have a good 7-8 channel or better computer radio, and if you're running 2 ESCs, it will be easy to set up weather you need it or not
I'll only be using for slow speed taxing,, never during flight or take off/landing. a mix switch will turn it on/off

Don't mean to steal the thread,,, good luck
Old 12-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

No problem! Your input/comments are appreciated. Keep it coming. Speedy
Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
hpiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size nitro engines does it need? That will be the easiest way to figure out what electric motors it needs. Do searches about .46 to brushless or whatever you run in this plane. You'll find the answer. Some websites even have a comparable chart you can use. Go to a place like Common Sense R/C or HeadsUpRC and send them an email asking what they recommend. E flite has outrunners named 25, 45, etc, making it super simple to convert.

As for running two batteries, very easy. Put both in the fueselage, and run one battery to one ESC and one battery to the other ESC. Connect the throttle channel to both ESCs with a Y harness or your radio may allow you to mix another channel to run the second ESC the same as the first on the throttle channel.

You'd put the motors and the ESCs in the nacelles of course. Make sure the ESCs get some cooling air, but they shouldn't get wet.

Outrunners will have no big issues with a little splash. There are numerous brushless planes that run off water like the Seawind, PBY, etc.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM
hpiguy

Asan example, here's a .46 brushless equivalent: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4046A

Now you can take those Amp and Watt ratings and find other outrunners and their ESCs, programming cards on places like hobbycity.com for much less.

Something like this: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...8_900Kv_/_770W and get the recommended ESC and the programming card.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Yes! I have been looking at the TURNIGY line of motors at HobbyCity. Their stuff is usually a pretty good deal for the money as are the ESC's,Lipo batteries, and chargers they sell. I read somewhere about dipping the ESC in something to waterproof them and allowing to dry, but I can not remember what it was. As I recall it was a liquid of some sort. Any help here??
Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 PM
hpiguy

You can dip them in epoxy, but then they can't cool off as well.

If you open up the back of the necelle to let air in the front and a little out the back I'm sure you'll be fine. They come shrink wrapped all up, so unless you dunk them, they'll work.

If you crash the plane, the ESC is the least of your worries.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
leadtongue

Exceed rc has monster power series of electric motors similar in specs with e-flite motors but at half the price. Also electrify has a silver series esc. It is a 45a esc with dual battery hook ups! Might just be your ticket!