Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

RCGroups

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 07:52 AM
crossup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCGroups

Man what bad timing for me. This is turning out to be a break thru weekend for me but I am realizing that I'm really crippled when the Micro Indoor forum over there is offline. Its such a resource and I've grown used to checking everything I do with whats posted there.
I've been trying to build the Koichi Tanaka DIY IR gear and just figured out late last night(after having given up weeks ago,temporarily of course) that my second attempt does indeed work! I had posted how I couldnt believe it didnt work because I did such a great job building it and have done comparable stuff before. Anyway, turns out the FET ground pin had so little soldier on it that it "opened" up when I tested it like a too small fuse. Of course I only tested with a pager motor, no actuator coils- pretty dumb huh?. After a through trip around the board with my meter I concluded too much was right for it not to work and connected a 156 ohm coil to the aileron pads. HOLY MACKERAL it works! inspection with a 60x scope revealed the problem(I have to know where to look with that much mag...even then its hard to interpret what I see sometimes). A quick touch with my new soldiering station and voila the motor works too. Gotta tell you guys this gear is SWEET! I could tell from the response of the magnet I placed in my coil...very precise control. The ESC seems a little course but then again the motor was no load so its hard to tell. Now I've got to decide whether to try to setup a 4mm pager with weight on shaft -11 ohm so it should be about right with gears or go with a DD setup..I'm ready to build a Living Room flyer and thats a tough call ..with the 4mm I should be able to use my Kokam 20 Lipo but teh DD setup I would need at least my 60...another gram plus. I' m pretty sure I can get teh DD setup to fly first try but the 4mm is another level below my experiance. Problem is the DD setup will be heavier therefore faster which is not good. Of course I dont know how to evalute without RCGroups..
Old 02-27-2005, 10:48 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: RCGroups

RCGroups states that the site is down for whatever reason. They've probably all gone to the WRAM Show and figured it would be easier to shut it down so nobody can post while they're gone. That way they wouldn't have so many to check and remove any they don't like when they get back. They are kinda stuffy over there. Too bad it's starting to get that way over here too with some of the moderators.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:04 AM
crossup
My Feedback: (1)

The home page has been up on and off and it states they are doing a hardware upgrade I believe. I dont mind the tight ship they run moderator wise...
Old 02-27-2005, 11:35 AM
phat23

If RCGroups was trying to run off their membership, they couldn't be doing a finer job. Between the moderators and hardware/software issues I'm starting to get a sour taste in my mouth.

However, I've been browsing around RC Universe for a fews days now, and I'm beginning to find my comfort zone here. Just a matter of getting used to the different software and layout.

Maybe the RCGroups problems are a good thing!
Old 02-27-2005, 01:37 PM
pockets

I think they are trying to find a way to wedge more Hobby Lobby ads in their pages!

Sorry for the negative first post

P
Old 02-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Nitrocharged

They gotta pay the bills somehow

It's all good.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:40 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GWR - The new rcu rules launched on the 15th (just 12 days ago as I type this) are created for a kinder and friendlier RCU with more information flow. I am trying to get RCU back to what it felt like 3 years ago when it launched. A platform for the modelers to have fun and exchange info. If there are specific moderators here that are going too far or being too strict please PM me privately and I will guarantee I will investigate it and address all issues as necessary. My goal is for people to never be afraid of posting here. We want the atmosphere here to be friendly. All we ask is that profanity and attacks are left at the door.

Within 48 hours of the new rules launch 12 days ago the feedback was extremely positive and our post counts went up alot. People emailed and pm'd me right away that we had done "good" with the changes. I hope you are feeling alot of the same and again if any mods are not grasping the new rules please just let me know and I will of course keep things in confidence and deal with them to ensure all continues to be relaxed, fun and informative.

marc
Old 02-27-2005, 06:09 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

I've always prefered RCU over the others. RCU was one of the originals and still the best. All the others are just cheap copies. I think RC Online was the first until they had problems and they merged with RCU. Hey Marc, when you gonna visit Edison again?
Old 02-27-2005, 06:43 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be up at edison this spring/summer for sure. I usually pop by there a few times throughout the year. I wanted to have Joel fly some of my stuff to see what it can REALLY do

also, thanks for the kind words about RCU. (I didn't pay him to say it either! really!)
Old 02-27-2005, 09:10 PM
66tbird

RCGroups is a great place for research, but does seem to lack that little something that makes it feel like family. Maybe by design or policy,, who knows. It's good to have another place to gather as a group and do the things we do. It should keep both sides of the street busy with policy. I can understand system upgrades, and with the traffic RCG sees an upgrade may well be needed.
RCU was the first RC forum I joined, but it moved a little slow for my eager needs. Over time I've moved over and have done more luring than posting. One thing I do admire is that threads seem to stay the same as they were created. (no over moderation) That to me is the thing I like. In our particular case of micros's, its a small field and a common set of posters in general. If threads get changed to some else's ideal the diverse nature of personalities disappears. With the technical nature of what we do the maturity is a little higher and the understanding that people have different opinions is a little greater. It's a hobby and it is what we do.

crossup- congrats on the IR build I to will do one someday. One thing I do often is save the page (via right click for me) and that put everything in your system for offline viewing. Heck you should see my bitcar file[] IMO I'd gear that 4mm and use the variable prop setup for optimization. That way you can keep it slow and still have the thrust, just a pitch tweak away.