Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Havoc Heli

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Rc Matt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Havoc Heli

We have the Havoc Heli in our Hobby Shop. It's very popular and very hard to get right now due to a shortage. If anyone is looking for one we have them and we also have the Xtreme Micro copter which is a good quality alternative.

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Air_...p/spn44295.htm

Old 03-15-2007, 07:47 PM
darticus

Will a thumb tack hit any wires in a havoc heli if put in the nose for forward movement? Ron
Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Maxit

If you look back a few posts I put some photos up that shows you the internals of a havo heli.

Depending how long the needle is on the thumb tack and where you place it depends on what you could hit.
So long as you push tack in slowly you should feel if you hit anything when pushing it in. Just dont push hard.
Not alot in the nose to harm if you go easy. I'd say if you place it on the very underside of the nose you
would pretty much miss the li-pol bat even if thumb tack had a long spike to it.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Lawfree

darticus; Gotta be carefull with those Push pins! I learned the hard way with My Havoc Heli. I used one of the colored plastic type push pins.
The have a longer "pin" than most. I thought I was safe only pushing it in part way. That was until the next crash that drove the pin all the way in and pierced the pouch for the LiPo battery. No fire or explosion but that was the end of that battery. If you cut off about 1/2 of the pin with your side cutters you should be safe

BTW, Can anyone source the 1mm X 3mm X 1mm ball bearings for the bearing CF shaft mod?

They are out of stock in most places and the last place I found charged a fortune & is also out of them now.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:02 PM
zoil leader

i hear about the pin in the nose thing do i stick it in all the way...lol...
Old 03-16-2007, 12:19 PM
darticus

I don't know. I might tape it on. Maybe a washer would do. Anyone know how much weight is needed.I'm trying to get forward motion but the aluminum weights it comes with don't seem to be enough. Ron
Old 03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
darticus

I just added a small 3/8 in washer.I taped it to the bottom and I think its good to go.Good forward motion without toooo much weight and no pin to cause a problem.What do you think? Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71211.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	643337  
Old 03-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Maxit

Looks like it will work. Your nose weight.

I think you guys are making me mad!!!!

Its a snow day here in maryland and me without a working Havoc Heli!
Gonna be a boring day! All snowed in and nothing to play with!
What a rip!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
darticus

I'm in New Jersey with 4 inches of snow now and 8 more to go.Gotta test my heli! Ron
Old 03-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Maxit

Rub it in! Rub it in!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:18 PM
alph

Hi Guys,
I've been playing with all sorts of model heli's for years. If one spent anytime in front of the TV lately you'd know that AirHog Havoc is all the rage in a low end starter heli[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif].
I have three myself as you never know when you might experience an accident. But these little helicopters from Walmart are GREAT! I've been watching the mods guys are making and still want to see if Airhog is going to actually offer the mechanical sets to fix them if one goes bad. For a first heli this is a best buy unles you want to jump into a llama or CX with No experience.[sm=cry_smile.gif] They tell you to do certain steps to get the Havoc flying,But I found that after charging just go full throttle and adjust the trim in flight. Keeps you on your toes but work!
alph
Old 03-18-2007, 09:53 PM
jmann71

have any of you tried this site [link]http://www.piccoztoolbox.no-ip.com/[/link]
great place for mods and repairs. they also have alot of ideas on making new bodies for the havoc/piccoz.
jason
Old 03-18-2007, 11:12 PM
alph

Thanks for the link Jason! Been wondering about such mods. Still would like to see Airhog put out spare Chasis for these machines. We'll see how long this craze lasts.alph
Old 03-19-2007, 08:36 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Alph, don't hold your breath. Allerc.com has main rotors and tail rotors. You guys might want to check out the piccoz thread as well. The havoc heli is the same thing, silverlit sold the rights to the picoo/picoo z to air hogs(silverlitflyingclub.com). The toolbox is also a good resource. Tim
Old 03-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Dave ESPI

I did the washer with tape thing also. I had a few I messed around with, and found the perfect weight one to get a nice forward motion. I had a huge dump of snow here also, but the batteries came out of the havoc heli, and into the Storm Launcher radio, and I had a blast with it out in the snow

Maxit, ya just need a few more toys
Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 PM
alph

Hi Guys,
You know where to get this foam these heli body's are made from? I found alot of it in one of my DVD player boxes. If one is good with carving you can have any fuselage you wish. I have a buddy that works for Circut City and he brought several square lengths for me to make some different bodies. I take three view drawings and scale them to the Havoc and in theory it should work! But you have to carve the complete Fuselage before you split it in half. I'll keep you posted!
Alph
Old 03-19-2007, 06:44 PM
alph

I might add if guys are gonna add new engines to the PiccoZ or Havoc it would behove you to invest in the cold soldier iron rather than use an iron as they are way too hot to be used near a Lipo blatter. Just a suggestion
Alph

Name:	Yw67449.gif
Views:	31
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	645467  
Old 03-19-2007, 10:12 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Alph, A 15w soldering iron is fine for these batteries. A 25w is better, less time on target. Tim
Old 03-20-2007, 12:54 AM
UltraBob

I cut some "surfaces" from card stock and made slits in the foam with a razor blade to hold them. They "catch" the rotor wash and give a nice forward motion.

Name:	Om31910.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	645738  
Old 03-20-2007, 02:07 AM
sohoninja

Just bought this little heli a few hours ago... hehe..... what fun, and so much easier to learn to fly than my blade cp.

Charged it up, locked the cats out and within a minute I was zooming around the room, I even managed to do some trick flying, up over the ceiling fan blades and back down. I must admit I was a bit sceptical about its performance but I was pleasantly surprised.

One question I have though. I noticed one of the tie rods from the main blade to the stabiliser blade has a slight bend in it (hardly noticable but its there). They don't seem to be as securely fastened compared to my larger heli, theres a bit of play in them, so will this bend affect the flight characteristics or can I just let it be? As it is, it flies and is controllable, would a perfectly straight rod improve the handling at all?

Anyway, at least I can fly while I repair the "ding" on my other heli, I just swapped to 3d blades and discovered I'm not as good at flying inverted as I thought hehe.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:13 AM
Maxit

I would probably leave the tie rod alone. If it flies well dont mess with whats working (as they say).
Parts are very hard to find in first place (in USA) if you break it trying to straighten it out.
Do read the PizooZ threads for Pizoo and havoc heli are made from same company.
There are alot of mods people are trying so might be some interesting reading.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:23 AM
alph

Hi Guys,
Lately I've been reading where some guys will stick a push pin in the nose to cause forward motion. I've found with some control manipulation the heli does actually move forwards. Testing how much weight to use is as simple as taping ball bearings to the nose then test it!
I've gotten quite addept at trimming this little bird right off the pad. I'd recomend to anyone Treat yourself to a couple more of these as at this point AirHog has limited support. The CX2 I have is sitting feeling neclected I'm sure. Another thing I'd have to say to any new pilots is to watch and learn especially if you don't plan on buyin an extra Hovoc. Things happen quickly with any radio control aircraft. Our cats love this model the just sit on the carpet of mantel and watch. Great Fun!!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:09 PM
sohoninja

Well the tie rod really doesn't seem to be hampering this at all. I did do a makeshift cannard mod, just cut a 1" x 1/2" strip off the plastic packaging and taped it to the front, and I can fly all round the house following it. I need to fly pretty close to the ceiling though, my cats eyes grow to the size of dinner plates as they follow it around. I guess I'll end up doing the cf shaft and ballbearing mod too, just off to my heli shop to see if they have suitable sized bearings.

Anyway since I got it last night I've done 30+ flights.... I can see this getting more airtime than my 4 channel hehe.

Name:	Mj24528.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	646002  
Old 03-20-2007, 02:13 PM
darticus

Looks like I should buy that big heli from you and try my luck with it. Maybe it would be fun. Ron
Old 03-20-2007, 08:09 PM
alph

I've decided to save the tips on this Havoc and installed tip guards on the larger blades. I was looking at my Cricket and remembered thats just why we did that back then. "To Save the tips." All this is is Clear tape on the top side of the lower blades tips No difference in flight by doing it but save chipping if you tend to hit things. This was also promted by another forum of guys chipping tips and not knowing wher to buy replacements.
Alph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.