Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Havoc Heli

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
krejcik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Havoc Heli

OK, first let me say that this heli rocks! I don't know where you can get more fun out of a $30 investment. My son bought one wih his birthday money. I was out buying one for myself a few days later.

Out of the box, my Channel C (blue) flew almost perfect, just a couple of ticks of trim and it was hovering beautifully. This lasted for the first and second flight. Now I have what appears to be the common problem of a CCW spin. No major crashes caused this problem. All the right trim I can give it will not stop it. I have to hold the stick almost full right to neutralize the spin. I have read through a good deal of the thread and this appears to be a fairly common problem. Has anyone come up with the definitive fix for this? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks for your help,
-Ed
Old 03-29-2007, 11:58 AM
alph

Hi Guys,
I haven't had any problems with the Havoc other than some hair wound up in the tail rotor wich will cause an uncontrolable spin. I read that one has to trim these every few flights. I just get the thing in a hover at 4 feet and trim it till it stops spinning. After the thread on copy rights I could care less about who makes this "Toy" as long as the lipo doesn't blow up in the ole face we're good to go! Anytime you can get a toy that does more than expected you made a fun investment! Easter is coming and I plan to own 5 as we never know when parts will be in LHS. Alph [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 03-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Maxit

This CCW spin I've noticed is from a nasty little vibration when at lower throttle positions and worst yet when fully charged. If you hold your heli in right hand and just turn on throttle do you feel a vibration and as you increase throttle to almost half or higher throttle does it go away?

If this is what it is .. hope you got steady hands to fix this.
I just bought three new Havoc Heli's and each one had this vibration.

If you look carefully you will notice the main rotor (large) spur gear center hub is higher on the bottom and shorter on top of gear. All I did was cut body apart and pull the rotor shaft and flipped this gear around. Meantime while apart I packed between the bearings with a clear moly lube. The bearings dont last which will also cause this vibration. So while apart see how much slop the shaft has in bearings. If its warn because of lack of lubrication and there is slop you might consider the bearing modification. I also balanced the whole rotor with this large spur gear off. I just used scotch tape with a couple of layers on top of each other on the underside on the heavy side rotor tip. Little 1/8 inch squares of tape.

What I have noticed is since this center hub sits higher on the motors pinion gear this vibration comes and the bearings also contribute to this if sloppy. Once there is enough RPM it pushes past this vibration.

Well hope that helps and shed some light on the subject.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
krejcik

I have definitely noticed the vibration at lower RPM. I do still get the CCW spin at full throttle. I'll take a look at the mods to reduce vibration and adding bearings. I did see there were a number of this type of modification at the PiccoZ toolbox. However, I can't seem to get to the Toolbox today? Is it down?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Maxit

There is one other thing to check and not sure if you have read this in threads.

Pull your Tail Rotor off (carefully of course) and you will probably find dust or hairs from your crashes. If there is any crap behind this rotor on the shaft at all.... it will definately affect the rotation and can not be trimmed out. I thought about this after I wrote other message and was just about to reply again as a reminder about "tail rotor garbage".

When putting rotor back on, make sure there is a gap between motor and rotor. Even when off push rotor shaft (with rotor on) to see or make sure this rotor isnt touching motor casing. If you check this also before you clean shaft this also could cause problem.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:01 PM
krejcik

Alright, I did a rear rotor cleaning. I did not find any detectable fuzz, but we'll see how she flies. I did the same on my son's and his had noticeable fuzz to be removed.

I am charging both now. I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
alph

Hi guys,
There really isn't mush more a guy can look for with regards to the way these models fly. In the paper that came with your heli it says to point the heli away from you to sinc the heli to the Radio. I wonder if it has to be done all the time? I had some good flights I like to get a cross draft in my living room and double time the controls to keep it straight And of course mess with the cats! they are content by just watching it hover their heads too Funny! Keep this up and you all with have to buys a NEW CX2 or somethingAlph
Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
krejcik

Mine is still the same. I think I just have some vibration problems in general and will look at those mods.

I'm going to exchange my son's though. His will only fly for about a minute and then won't hold altitude. i figure it has got to be a bad battery.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Maxit

Bummer about vibration. It drove me nuts for awhile till I worked it out.
Heavy vibration to me seems to be the normal cause of the CCW rotation that cant be trimmed out.

Suggestion to keep sons for who knows parts? And just buy another one they sure are cheap enough.
Parts sure come in handy later on because there is none available.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:42 PM
RoDnSuE

Does anyone know if the charging regulator for the LIPO battery pack is on board the heli or in the controller? The reason I ask
is batteries are expensive and I can rig up an external carger to save the batteries.

Thanks,
RoD
Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
redmoon

krejcik

Check each battery individualy in the TX with a tester. If all six battereis are not charged (1.5V) sufficently it will effect the charging of the Heli. This is the most likley the problem 75% of the time.

Redmoon
Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
RoDnSuE

On the other hand, How many charges do you get from a fresh set of alkaline batteries?

Thanks,
RoD
Old 03-29-2007, 06:38 PM
redmoon

RoDnSuE

I have found that the regulator seems to be in the TX. Although there seems to be some circutry on the battery, unless you can provide the LIPO with the required voltage and amperage (Build your own) it will either over or under charge. I use a car starter emergency battery or a AC adapter wired directly into the TX. I then take the TX and solder several charging ports to it so I can charge up to three Heli's or AA's or Both. The adapter I use at home and the battery on the road. Works great. You can by rechargable batteries for your TX and charge them when there low, though some report that the rechargables provided an over all lower voltage. (1.2v per as apposed to 1.5v per regular).
In my expierence I have found no difference and use them as well.

Redmoon
Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 PM
redmoon

About 10 to 15 full charges. Since only 3 batteries are used during flying and all six during flight if you have a meter or tester you replace only the batteries that are depleated from both charging and flying.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Maxit

Just buy another havoc heli.........one TX to fly......one TX to charge! Two planes to fly. Get three.......no waiting!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:23 PM
MINICooperS

Alph,
I wasn't looking for any specific engineering information. Anything that has legitimate patent protection has a patent application number assigned to it. If these guys have patent protection they ought to be able to provide a number but since there is no patent number to be found on any of their products I'm tending to believe that all their ranting about lawsuits is so much sour grapes.
Here is the link. If there is a patent on the Havoc/PicooZ I can't find it. A design patent covers the shape and physical characteristics. None found. A process patent covers the steps in manufacturing the product. None found. They certainly didn't invent the IC's or carbon fibre or plastic tape. Patents have to demonstrate novelty.
http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

P.S. (since you asked)
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes.asp
Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 PM
alph

Alright I'm still not following you? Silverlit are the ones suing some company over selling bogus mini helis Good Luck!
Alph
Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Dave ESPI

ORIGINAL: whiteshark107

Just wondering if anyone knew if it would affect the flight any buy removing the plastic covers for the main rotor gear. My left one was bent out of the box and only flies to the left. So far I haven't had good luck with these but haven't given up yet.
Hi, I tore both mine off the first day I got it as it landed in the cat bowl and had water inside the housing... LOL

No ill effect to the flight at all, and perhaps it made it "lighter" if only by a fraction of a gram.....
Just keep an eye on it for pieces of fuzz and hair to get wound around the gear if you crash on the carpet.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Maxit

I posted a slightly different bearing modification using stock steal pin if anyone is interested.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5648287/tm.htm

Hope you guys like it. Worked good for me!
Old 04-01-2007, 02:51 PM
MINICooperS

Thanks Maxit......
I'll be giving it a try. Will probably "press" the main gear off rather than hammer it.
What adhesive did you use? 5-minute epoxy or the like? Are there any that are better suited for fixing steel to carbon fibre?
Old 04-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Maxit

Just used 15 minute epoxy nothing special. The main thing to adhere to bearings are they are grease free on sides. Any grease or oils from hands or manufacturing epoxy wont stick.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

I just bought one this morning at Walmart for $30.
Target had them advertised for $25 but wal mart is just around the corner.
Its pretty cool.Nice to be able to mess w/ it in the house.

I flown some rc planes so this is kinda different.

Oh yeah,I used to be a moderator severeal years ago for the nitro truck forum.
Havent been around in awhile,Ran out of $$$ playing w/ rc trucks!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:00 PM
whiteshark107

Thanks Dave I will keep that in mind. So far thing flys great. In fact I just ordered my first 4ch rc heli. This from some one who said he would never fly helis. Now I think I got the Heli bug.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Djstinger

Where can I get some bearings? Is there anyone else that would like to in on some the best deal I can find is 10 for about $50 to $60 shipped. I have 2 Heli's and need 4 bearings.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 PM
alph

Y'all make me laugh hard! I can see you bouncing your Havoc's of three walls befor actually gaining control over it! Talk about turning a tapdance into a crusade. These little helis are just toys!Alph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.