Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Ordered new batteries . . . we'll see . . .

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Ordered new batteries . . . we'll see . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 AM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered new batteries . . . we'll see . . .

These caught my eye as they are 5800 mAh and weigh only 1283g according to the ad. That fits perfectly in my new Pegasus since it has an empty weight of 3663g. It would be great to fly for 10 minutes of practice, but I guess we'll just have to see when I get them whether or not they are junk. I bought 2 sets and it was $280 with shipping. Still only $140 per 10s set . . . not bad. I was staring at them for a while and the website gave me a special ad that said order it now and you can have it for $112 so the impulse hit me. Those darn Chinese; they really are sneaky

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21387__ZIPPY_Compact_5800mAh_10S_25C_Lipo_Pack.h tml]Zippy Compact 25C 5800mAh 10s[/link]

Old 05-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Ordered new batteries . . . we'll see . . .

Let us know how it goes. I'm at the point where I'm getting tired of different batteries, different weights, different balance points, and some lasting and some not. I was at the HK website dreaming about ordering all new batteries last night, but want to make sure I properly plan this time. Experimenting is getting tiring, frustrating, and expensive!

So far, I love the Rhinos. Of course they're made by Zippy battery. I only have one set, but 3 years later (and putting up with the e-learning curve) and they're still strong.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 PM
wagen017

I've got a new solution. I only fly now with one set of batteries (TP4400 25 C) which I can charge at the field with 5C (we now have solar powered battery station at 24-30VDC) with my iCharger 3010. Thus i charge the set in 8-10 minutes.

I now fly a Spark with C50. Power consumption in this combo is really low so I fly 8 minutes using no more then 3000 mAh (so I could fly even longer but by now my mind is so used to flying these 8 minutes I sortof automatically land (-: ).

Joe, I still have one of my original Rhinos (one was in a crash and burned out, the other I gave away to a fellow flyer who needed a good pack). This Rhino now has done >>250 flights but refuses to quit! It is still good, balance is fine and Ir good (25mOhm for the pack). Only capacity is reduced to ~4500mAh. They are incredible!

Volkert
Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 AM
icicles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is a bit off topic.
I am using the Zippy Compact 7 cell 5800mah in my Habu 32
I have over a dozen flights on the packs so far. And so far so good. They balance well .
I'm charging them at 18 amps. Full throttle amps come in at 134. They do get pretty warm after a flight.
But so far i am pretty happy with them.

Yes i do fly pattern!

Chris
Old 05-24-2012, 12:41 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: 2Sunny

These caught my eye as they are 5800 mAh and weigh only 1283g according to the add. That fits perfectly in my new Pegasus since it has an empty weight of 3663g. It would be great to fly for 10 minutes of practice, but I guess we'll just have to see when I get them whether or not they are junk. I bought 2 sets and it was $280 with shipping. Still only $140 per 10s set . . . not bad. I was staring at them for a while and the website gave me a special add that said order it now and you can have it for $112 so the impulse hit me. Those darn Chinese; they really are sneaky

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21387__ZIPPY_Compact_5800mAh_10S_25C_Lipo_Pack.h tml]Zippy Compact 25C 5800mAh 10s[/link]

Joe, these look like good batteries at a good price. But the capacity is a lot more than is needed for AMA Intermediate or Advanced. I flew the Advanced sequence last weekend in some pretty high winds and upon recharging found 2600-2800 mAh consumed. I flew at Stormville the next day in some comparatively light (but not calm) winds and saw 2300-2500 mAh consumed. (strictly flying the pattern with no horsing around afterward.) My main packs now are the Sky 4400 35C's, but I still have some Zippys and Rhinos that are uncannily and inexplicably strong after many flights.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 AM
g_mkoch

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

These caught my eye as they are 5800 mAh and weigh only 1283g according to the add. That fits perfectly in my new Pegasus since it has an empty weight of 3663g. It would be great to fly for 10 minutes of practice, but I guess we'll just have to see when I get them whether or not they are junk. I bought 2 sets and it was $280 with shipping. Still only $140 per 10s set . . . not bad. I was staring at them for a while and the website gave me a special add that said order it now and you can have it for $112 so the impulse hit me. Those darn Chinese; they really are sneaky

Joe, these look like good batteries at a good price. But the capacity is a lot more than is needed for AMA Intermediate or Advanced. I flew the Advanced sequence last weekend in some pretty high winds and upon recharging found 2600-2800 mAh consumed. I flew at Stormville the next day in some comparatively light (but not calm) winds and saw 2300-2500 mAh consumed. (strictly flying the pattern with no horsing around afterward.) My main packs now are the Sky 4400 35C's, but I still have some Zippys and Rhinos that are uncannily and inexplicably strong after many flights.

With 5800mah of batteries you could probably do 2 sequences on one flight
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Jason Arnold

ORIGINAL: icicles

I know this is a bit off topic.
I am using the Zippy Compact 7 cell 5800mah in my Habu 32
I have over a dozen flights on the packs so far. And so far so good. They balance well .
I'm charging them at 18 amps. Full throttle amps come in at 134. They do get pretty warm after a flight.
But so far i am pretty happy with them.

Yes i do fly pattern!

Chris
You fly pattern? :-) Must be nearly 12 months since you have flown with us.

Have you sold that Pegasus yet?

Interesting to see that models are now getting light enough to be able to go above 5000mAh and still make weight.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
2Sunny

Yeah, but that's 'cuz you're way better than Advanced or Intermediate and have better throttle control than me. Seriously though, I totally agree, I just have time and inclination to try lots of stuff 'cuz that's part of the fun for me plus like the man said above I might even be able to fly the sequence twice on one battery AND on really windy days when more weigh is better I might use a pack like that in competition to bring my plane as close to 5000g as possible for added stability.

on another note . . .

I was at the field today from 12 to 2 and got to fly all 10 of my packs. No one else there [&o]

And,

I just want to add how much I love the fact that the internet can bring together the whole world. My other hobby is saltwater aquariums [link=http://web.mac.com/joepeck66/iWeb/The%20Coral%20Gardner/Intro.html]TheCoralGardner.com[/link] and I hang out on the Aussie websites once in awhile which is just to say I love having Aussie input here. Thanks everyone!

Joe
Old 05-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Jason Arnold

AND on really windy days when more weigh is better I might use a pack like that in competition to bring my plane as close to 5000g as possible for added stability.

Joe
Do bricks really fly better? :-)

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: Jason Arnold

Do bricks really fly better? :-)

Cheers,
Jason.

I don't know about bricks, but for sure I've heard pigs fly better especially when it's really, really, cold or so the saying goes

Here's to you mate!

Joe
Old 05-24-2012, 03:37 PM
cmoulder

Yeah, but that's 'cuz you're way better than Advanced or Intermediate and have better throttle control than me. Seriously though, I totally agree, I just have time and inclination to try lots of stuff 'cuz that's part of the fun for me plus like the man said above I might even be able to fly the sequence twice on one battery AND on really windy days when more weigh is better I might use a pack like that in competition to bring my plane as close to 5000g as possible for added stability.

on another note . . .

I was at the field today from 12 to 2 and got to fly all 10 of my packs. No one else there [&o]

And,

I just want to add how much I love the fact that the internet can bring together the whole world. My other hobby is saltwater aquariums [link=http://web.mac.com/joepeck66/iWeb/The%20Coral%20Gardner/Intro.html]TheCoralGardner.com[/link] and I hang out on the Aussie websites once in awhile which is just to say I love having Aussie input here. Thanks everyone!

Joe
Can you make it to Stormville Saturday or Sunday?

I would go Monday but I'm picking up a Caelestia, which has priority that day!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Jason Arnold

Sorry Joe,

I couldn't help myself with that throw away comment...

Seriously, the lighter the better the model will perform. A good example of this statement can be seen and experienced with indoor foamies. The lighter model always flies better.

I used to fly a Pinnacle with a 140RX. It struggled in the verticals so I sent it to weight watchers. Managed to pull 250 grams out of it pretty easily. It made a massive difference to the vertical performance. I could actually make a radius on the top rather than flop over the top.. lol

Power to weight usually rules...

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
2Sunny

Look for a PM. I'm coming back from a trip and arriving in Newark around 2PM, but I could make it to the field 5Pm or so and that would be awesome but that's right around dinner time so if that's no good then no worries.

Joe
Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 AM
cmoulder

Look for a PM. I'm coming back from a trip and arriving in Newark around 2PM, but I could make it to the field 5Pm or so and that would be awesome but that's right around dinner time so if that's no good then no worries.

Joe
No problem. Keep me posted. We can work on the slow rolls with the "left-push-relax-right" mantra that gets me through them.

And I just gotta see that beautiful Pegasus!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:15 AM
christian_oele

Are there any news on the real weight of the 10S 5800 mAh Zippy compact packs ?

Christian
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: christian_oele

Are there any news on the real weight of the 10S 5800 mAh Zippy compact packs ?

Christian
HK lists 1268g and that is probably within a few grams of actual weight, depending on your connectors and the discharge wire length.

I have purchased more than a few batteries from HK and they were all very close to advertised weight.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 AM
christian_oele

Thanks, I was also satisfied with the actual vs. the advertised weight of HK lipos until now.

Neverthesless, 1268g seems to be very light for 5800mAh 10S packs - therefore I would like to have a confirmation from somebody who purchased these packs yet.

Christian
Old 06-11-2012, 04:27 AM
cmoulder

My thought as well, since a pair of Rhino 4900 5S is 1235g, however technology is improving and these are 25C rated which is a little less weight also.

I wonder if Joe has received them yet, because shipping from (Hong kong, Singapore??) is pretty slow.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: christian_oele

Thanks, I was also satisfied with the actual vs. the advertised weight of HK lipos until now.

Neverthesless, 1268g seems to be very light for 5800mAh 10S packs - therefore I would like to have a confirmation from somebody who purchased these packs yet.

Christian
1268 grams = 44.7273838 ounces
Am I the only person on RCU who still uses ounces???? Mike
Old 06-11-2012, 06:29 PM
cmoulder

1268 grams = 44.7273838 ounces
Am I the only person on RCU who still uses ounces???? Mike
I always have the conversion figure - 28.35g = 1 oz - and a calculator handy!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I always have the conversion figure - 28.35g = 1 oz
lol I remember that one from 10th grade

15C packs are a bit lighter. If you're not running a huge current load, 5S 15C packs are cheap and light.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
2Sunny

New batteries are in and so far so good. I'll post IR's in a bit, but here's the weight.

1265g with APPs (They were 1270g before APP)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76868.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1771529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91496.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1771530  
Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 PM
2Sunny

Initial IR's as measured on a CellPro 10S for both batteries I bought are between 1.7 and 2.5. Very promising start!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 PM
cmoulder

New batteries are in and so far so good. I'll post IR's in a bit, but here's the weight.

1265g with APPs (They were 1270g before APP)

Good to know..... As usual the advertised weights are within a few grams.

I guess the retailers figured out we have pretty good scales too.

That is indeed an impressive weight for 5800 10S. And it has the lucky yellow wrapper like the Rhinos, and you can fly Advanced twice before reloading.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:08 AM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Any more word on how you like the new batteries - 2 sunny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.