BRIO Electric 10-size

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 01:12 PM
krist370

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BRIO Electric 10-size

Hi all!
I have Brio too.
I was thinking to use next setup from UH (only spiner and blades are not from there):
LiPo pack HXT D9 1700mAh or 2200mAh 11.1v 20-30C
motor HXT 35-36C 1000kv Brushless Outrunner (Eq: AXi 2814)
spiner ALU E-FLUG 44/4,0MM
Aeronaut blades CAM-CARBON 11x7"

Will it be enough for pattern and some 3D flying?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:40 AM
richlloyd914

Hi All,

I ordered 2 brand new TP2070's and got them in over the weekend. I soldered on the connectors and tried to fire up the brio on the bench on sunday. So I plugged everything in and I know that all the wiring is correct (connectors soldered on correctly, motor plugged in correctly, etc.). But get this, when I started to push the throttle forward I didn't even get to 1/4 throttle and something sparked either in the motor housing or in the speed control ( I was looking right at it, but it happened so fast I couldn't tell which one it came from). After that spark, the throttle won't work...sounds like the speed control is toast! But, now I am left with wondering whether it was just the speed control or if there was something wrong with the motor. Again for those of you who haven't seen my other posts, the motor and speed control are both brand new out of the box.

I am considering sending both the speed control and motor back to eflite, since either or both of them is defective. Any thoughts, suggestions?

~Rich
Old 05-29-2007, 05:27 PM
cap10b

Rich,
You probably blew a capacitor, my hobby shop told me I was not allowed to solder anything any more after I tried to solder a Dualsky 2250 and touched poles while I had a pair of hemostats holding the Big Deans. Needless to say when a Li-po pack lights off it does not stop even when you pull the offending connection apart. The hemostat was starting to burn my fingers and all I had was a stainless steel sink to throw the whole Roman candle mess into. It still kept lighting off even in the sink. At that time I had vision of the house burning down. Lucky for me it stabilized and stopped. Never again. I have great respect for lil electrics now.

LOL

jds

Old 06-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own the Brio 10 and think it is a wonderful little airplane. This is my first electric, so I followed Quique's Lightweight setup to the letter and installed the rudder servo using the pull-pull setup. The weight with battery is 28.5 oz, only 1/2 an ounce more than the minimum weight on the specs. My center of gravity is 114mm (yes, I know it's behind the recommended envelope, but I like the way it flies). None of the pieces were warped or damaged and the covering only had a few very small wrinkles. I have not experienced any snapping tendencies and it stalls very nicely by letting the nose sink forward. Of course, it will snap, but only if I tell it to. I have never had the canopy come loose during flight and couldn't imagine that happening since you really have to pull to get it off.

Perhaps the air outlet hole is partially blocked/too much air inlet and a positive pressure is building up inside the airplane helping to push the canopy off?

Anyway, this was the easiest airplane I have ever assembled and really can't find any major issues with it. Congratulations to the fellows at E-Flite, this one is a keeper. I'm not sure about 3D performance, but for pattern it seems great. I've been practicing the Sportsman schedule with it.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:18 AM
fetrix

I am thinking on getting the brio but i dont now wat power source to use, my main problem is that I live at 8000 ft (2500 meters) above sea level! I was thinking on a power 25 from e flite, I figured its possible since a guy in the field is using an o.s 25 on the plane..... so what battery do I use and with which motor??
Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Russell Bear

Flew mine for the first time today. Flew great, no bad tendancies, landings were smooth. Love this plane.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:16 PM
mikedsilva

hi
does anyone have any photos of the engine mounting in this plane without the cowl attached?
i am considering buying one but want to try and fit an existing motor i have. It is the Himark 3630/1000kv.
I guess I would like opinion if this is way too much motor for the plane?
My style of flying is sport/pattern and general "yank and bank" so hovering is not something i am too worried about.

if easier, you can email me pics at [email protected]

Thanks for reading.
Mike
Old 07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Doc Austin

Here's the manual. There's a picture in there.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi..._corrected.pdf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61684.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	723786  
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Mr. Mugen

Well I finally maidened mine yesterday. I had a blast until I tried a flat spin and it did it! I could not believe I did a flat spin! Well the short is that I did not allow it enough recovery room and tried to pull out with not enough airspeed, throttled up and it torque rolled into a knife edge and hit my pick up truck and took the left wing clean off. I have to say I love this plane but need to learn some of the important things about flying....lol. I am slowly going from foam planes to balsa. This is my 4th balsa but my first "real" performer. I am going to put a new wing on and give it another try soon.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:34 PM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

throttled up and it torque rolled into a knife edge and hit my pick up truck and took the left wing clean off.
I am suprised your pick up truck had wings. Does everything fly out there?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Mr. Mugen

Most things with wings fly around here.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Mr. Mugen

Man this plane amazes me. Like I said earlier I have the power 10 set up in it. It is so fast I think I will go to the 480 set up. Has anyone esle done both? If so is there one you liked better? How about 3D with the 480 that they recommend for it? Thanks guys/gals Kevin
Old 09-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Don McCullough
My Feedback: (1)

Mugen,

I tried both the 480 and Power 10 in the same Brio. With the 480 light setup using 1320 3S TP batteries, I found it flew great but I could not perform the masters pattern in the wind very well. It seemed to need most of the power of the 480, pushing the batteries -- too warm. When I switched out to the Power 10, the plane seemed to fly the same, only I now would fly it at reduced throttle the whole flight using full only for a few seconds. It was much more relaxing to fly, had much better speed management. With this setup I used the 2100 3S TP. Both were with an 11-7 prop.

For pattern flying, I highly recommend the Power 10 over the 480. For sport flying the 480 is fine.

Hope this helps.

Don
Old 09-03-2007, 03:48 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

I have used only the Power 10 set up with 2200maH batts. The performance is great. flying in wind is pretty good too.
the prop I am usining is a 10 X 7 which pulls just under 300W. the 11 X 11.5 pulls just over 300W. An 11 X 7 pulled over 34A which was making my lipo too warm. I found out that the lipos that said they were 20C were in fact 20C BURST. Propping down to 10 X 7 makes all work OK. In fact there is enough pwer for all manouvres and unlimited verticals, so I have nothing to complain about. I get longer flight times with the 10 X 7 anyway.
If you are finding the speed too high then I should try the 10 X 7. As I said the 11 X 5.5 is far too slow for F3 style aerobatics and the 12 X 6 just uses loads of amps for no great benefit.
I am very, very happy with my little Brio 10 (It thinks it is a much bigger plane when flying) so lets enjoy them and get out there.
See yer all.
I'm off
Old 09-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Mr. Mugen

Thanks for the input fella's. I am going to reprop it to see if I can get it slowed down and bring the amps with it. I use 2100 20C Hyperion 3s with a 12x6 and it eats it up way too fast with too much heat. I will fix that asap, I also ended up taking off the wheel pants and put some larger wheels on it. I guess they designed this for smooth asphalt runways.......wish we could have one of those.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:58 PM
roller252
My Feedback: (4)

Hello to all. I am new to the forums, but have been watching the threads on the Brio 10. I bought mine with the 480 e-flight motor. I installed it first with the recommended 1320 mah pack. It flew very well, but not enough speed up in the vertical. So I switched to the power 10 with a 2100 mah pack. What a difference. The vertical is with authority. Will perform the intermediate pattern very well indeed. I read some of the threads that mention snapping. I have not had any issues at all with snapping. Some might have the balance too far forward. As the plane slows, more and more up elevator is needed to keep the nose up which can and does cause a plane to snap, but if the Brio is kept at the proper balance and flying speed, it flies beautifully. By the way, I fly this setup with a 11x7E.

Great Plane!!!!!

Will
Old 09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
ntsmith

That was the way that I set mine up. Never did I have an issue with snapping. Even though the design of the tapered wing aids rather than inhibits snaps. That is their intention after all.
The only trait that mine had with the 2200maH battery was that quite alot of down elevator was required in inverted flight. I personly like it to be only a tad or zero incerted as the rolls can be made moer axial.
Glad you like the plane. Mine gave me many many hours of fun (and flying) and talking of issues found on forums, never once had au undercarriage problem as others say. Saying that I never once had a hard landing and that was in up to 25mph winds. Thats testimony to the flying characteristics. It came in to its own though on early warm calm summer mornings before the people even get up and the skylarks are singing. When the birds start to fly because there is something in the air. However, I digress . . .
MIne was eventualy sold to pave the finacial way to a larger aircraft. Just hope it is as good as the Brio 10
Old 09-25-2007, 02:15 AM
babbott78

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is my first time posting in this Brio forum but i’ve been flying this thing for quite some time now changing setups to get the best performance.

I started out with the following setup:

CG at the 110mm mark
S-75's all round (Rudder and elevator servo rear mounted)
Power 10
Dual-sky 45Amp
Flightpower 2170 3C
APC 11x7E

This setup worked fine, however it definitely flew better with the CG forward from the 110 mark to around the 100 mark. I put it through a number of flat spins the plane recovers fine at both CG's.

The main issue I had was the flight time on the plane was only around 6 minutes. So after some experimenting, I changed the prop to an APC 11.5.5E and the pack is now a flightpower 2500.

The plane does feel solid now and performs in high winds a lot better and with fly the pattern routine like an arrow but you can notice a little bit of the extra wingloading(Very little, however doesn't affect anything). It is more than traded off with the 10minute flights though.

The best performance for the plane is with the APC 11x5.5E and the flightpower 1800 3 cell pack. In calm conditions, the plane will feel invincible with combination, unlimited vertical, arrow tracking, fast snaps and great knife edge, but you won't get the flight time out of it.

The only piece I would comment on is the landing gear and it's attachment inside the fuselage. This area should be strengthened a little as even with the best of landings, on a thick grassy field you are bound to bend or crack this area.

I experimented with different landing approaches to see the best way to land this machine(As mentioned earlier in this thread, you almost have to fly it to the deck and then you can very carefully flair it) and even at the slowest possible touchdown speed (On the verge of stalling) the landing gear will still bend a little on a grass field.

Apart from that, the Brio flies extremely well for it's size! flies like a much bigger plane than it actually is. It can also be pushed reasonably hard and still remain responsive.

I've put mine through 4 set's of Lipo's now with no crashes (touchwood!) and multiple props and configurations and the plane will basically respond to what the pilot feeds it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97399.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	769675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99755.jpg
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	769676   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27047.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	769677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47709.jpg
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	769678  
Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 AM
ntsmith

Thanks for the input. Personally I found although the vertical performance with the 5.5 pitch prop was the best, the overall speed was down significantly enough to lose the arrow like performance and tracking. That was far better with the 7 pitch prop. Its nice to know others experienced the same problem with flight times. I think e-flight should try to give us a design and setup that will give us 10mins as that it about what most of us are looking for.
Nice flying shots. Did your flightpower pack require a different balance plug or did you buy one specifically for it?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 AM
BadBoy__MadMikey

Great input Babbott!!! i'm on my 2nd brio!!! my 1st one is alive an well but need a landing gear and cowl. i put the gear on a seagull extra. my new one i got off the net. someone had got it and had a cowl tht pit terrable!!! so they sold it. i fit the cowl best i could but had to trim some off the bottom and then the bottom of the fuse and cowl didn;t met. so i cut the bottom off my other cowl and peice it on and then did a custom paint job to cover the sems. it looks great!!! i'm running the power 10 outrunner with a cc35 esc. 4 eflite s75 servos and a jr 610 receiver. i'm using tp 2100 3 cell prolites!! i get between 7 and 7.5 minutes of flight. i fly imac so i love to use my brio to practice manuvers and design freestyle routines!!! mine came out a little tail heavy so i took the cross brass off the canopy and used depron to make a new battery mount up in the canopy!!! it helped aton!!!! i was having to use alot of down whe inverted but now it's fine!!! i perfer to use just a touch of down when inverted then try to balance it perfect!! i have used a apc 12x6 e prop some but run times a low around 4.5 to 5 minutes and the packs great pretty hot!! i amp checked it before on brio number 1 and it was pulling right at 50amps!!!!! OUCH!!! so i proped it back down to a 11x5.5 e and the performance is great!!! actually it trims out beter on the 11x5.5. the 12x6 has do much trust it was jerking it around too much. i figured out that by the amp and mah number the power 10 was putting out with the 12x6 i was getting about 70 to 75 ounces of thrust!!!!! if i had a bit bigger pack with about 60 to 65 amps of discharge i would run the 12x6 but it's too much for the 2100 prolites!!!
but i love the brio!!! it's a great practice plane, fun flyer, just an all around great plane!!!! can't be bet!!!! i hear QQ has his hand on some new planes. one from eflite it's a pitts s-12 electric, 15 size!!! i got one on order!!! and his company is doing an electric version of the turbine Toucan bipe!!!! lots to come over the next winter/building season!!!!

Mikey

ps. i'm mad over eflite planes!!!!!! MadMikey
Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 AM
babbott78

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys! I love the little Brio as a good little practice plane so thought i'd share anything I could on it(I'll get some more pics soon). Getting the plane to fly for 10 minutes was my goal and yes, I agree 100% with you Nigel, the 11x7 did provide more speed than the 11x5.5 and a bit more tracking but it wasn't worth the reduced time in the air I found anyway. The plane did perform unbelievable with an 1800 flightpower pack and the 11x5.5 setup but flighttime is fairly unusable. EFlight should have put a bit more thought into a design that would at least be flyable for 10 minutes but you can play around with the plane a bit to get this time with good performance.

With the Flightpower packs, the balance plug is a bit of a pain, Flightpower changed their standard plug about 6 months ago I think so now I try and source the old plugs and fit these on the new packs at the moment as my balancer has the old plug on it. I'll have to change them all over to the new standard soon.

Madmikey, that's a great idea for mounting the battery! have you got any pics from your Brio setups? the plane would have went awesome with the 12x6 but would have hammered the packs (Would have been hard to trim as well). I've also heard of people replacing the two piece landing gear with a one piece with eliminates the weakness in the landing gear area, anyone seen a good one piece carbon gear setup for this thing?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 AM
ntsmith

Try Carbon Copy. If anyone has a carbon fibre version or something that will fit. They will
http://www.carboncopyuk.com/acatalog...carriages.html
Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 AM
phillip4
My Feedback: (3)

I have the 480 with the 11-7 prop, no complaints. But has anyone tried the 11-7 slo. Thanks
Old 10-26-2007, 11:38 AM
BadBoy__MadMikey

Hey Guys,
i'm doing an experiamnet with my brio 10. i know alot of you have seen pattern shaped planes with the little horizontal wing behind the canopy. i've done this before on an eflite tribute fx and it really helped!! knife edge flight really improved and overall rudder movement was reduced!!! i saw an pic a while back of QQ wit his larger 2m brio and there was a horizontal wing behind the canopy. so i designed on last night and mounted it. it's about 4.35" ws and about 2.35" wide, not sure what the area is but it looks great. i leveled the plane on my work bench and i set it level with the center line down the fuse. it's about 1.75" above the fuse. i won't be able to test it til this weekend, i will post some pics as soon as i can and let you know how it does. cause i figure that if the biger brio uses on then this size could only benifit from one too!!!! we'll just have to see!!!

MadMikey
Old 10-27-2007, 07:31 AM
ntsmith

My personal opinion: Its all in the mind. Like most spoilers on cars. Ninety percent make very little difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.