Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What Velcro do you use to hold batteries?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

What Velcro do you use to hold batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:11 AM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Velcro do you use to hold batteries?

I’ve observed that most electric pilots are using Velcro with adhesive backing to help keep their motor batteries from slipping, and then of course Velcro straps to hold the batteries down.

In the past when I’ve used Velcro with adhesive backing in my planes I’ve had trouble with the adhesive coming loose when I tried to remove the item that was Velcroed. In other words, the Velcro is so strong that when I pull the component out (in this case a battery), the Velcro wants to peel away from the surface it’s taped to. This is especially problematic during the hot summer.

Given that so many others seem to be having success, perhaps I’m using the wrong type self-adhering Velcro (Velcro too strong, wrong type of adhesive, etc.). Then again, I wonder if others are epoxying the Velcro in place.

I’d like to hear from those who have found a successful approach.

Thanks,
Keith B
Old 01-31-2007, 04:27 AM
darkvader

Default RE: What Velcro do you use to hold batteries?

Hi Keith,

Try using normal Velcro strap with contact glue
Old 01-31-2007, 08:08 AM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Keith what I use I bought at Walmart it's industrial strenght 2" wide X 5'. I do live in Indiana so the air temp is lower than in Texas, but I do heat my batteries to 120 degrees before I fly, and my packs never get over 145 degrees, and generally about 130-135 upon landing. My batteries are configured in a triangle so I don't have but maybe 1/2 to 3/4" strips the full lenght of the batteries, one flight last year I got distracted and forgot to put the straps around the batteries and they didn't move doing the P-07. All are the original strip I put on.
Steve Maxwell
Old 01-31-2007, 08:41 AM
rgreen24

Hey Steve any pics?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:02 AM
patternrules

Not real clear but hope you get the idea.
ORIGINAL: rgreen24

Hey Steve any pics?
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72562.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	610645  
Old 01-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

maybe I missed it,but you have to put a surface on the wood for the velcro to stick to. I usually smear it with epoxy, but I've also used CA. I can only think of oneortwo times in 15 years of e flying that I've had it pull up.
Walt
Old 01-31-2007, 12:33 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

I've been using Light Grey 1" Velcro (single sided) from Vel-Tye on all my planes for under my batteries. I clean the surface first with some alcohol and stick the hook end in the plane and fuzzy on the batteries/Rx. I haven’t had any come off. I also have had a flight at the Worlds where I forgot to strap the batteries down and the batteries stayed put. The straps are the double-sided Velcro from Vel-Tye also.

Couple little things I also do. I take a 1”x1” piece of fuzzy and put it under my tray where my straps are so my straps don’t fall into the plane, or out of while moving it around. I use a couple of 1"x1" squares on top of the batteries to keep the Velcro straps from sliding off the batteries. And I also put little ½”x1” pieces inside the fuse where the straps sit when the battery isn’t in the plane so it is easier to install the batteries without having to push them through a Velcro jungle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89086.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	610727  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:41 PM
KeithB

Thanks for the replies.

Jason and Steve, I assume the Velcro you're using has an adhesive backing already. If so, what does this look like? I've found that there are different types of backing: double sided white foam tape looking stuff, clear double-sided tape (very thin), and maybe others. The one I've had bad luck with had the foam tape backing.

Jason, do you have a particular reason for putting the hook side down? I was thinking the fuzzy side should be down so if part of the battery that didn't have Velcro rubbed on it it wouldn't scratch. Does the hook side stick better?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 01-31-2007, 07:50 PM
KeithB

Jason, I went to the Vel-Tye site, but I can’t tell what you have. Do you have the Commercial Grade 87S Hook, Industrial Grade MVA-8 Hook, or some other?

They have a RC Modeling Kit they sell for fuel tanks and batteries, is that what you bought, or did you just purchase a roll?

BTW, were did you purchase yours?

Thanks,
Keith B
Old 01-31-2007, 08:41 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

Keith,
I am using the same stuff as Jason, I get it at Home Depot it is EXtreme velcro
and the standard strap
http://www.velcro.com/CONSUMER/products_xt.htm
Old 01-31-2007, 08:55 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

Excellent stuff guys, nice to know someone else asks the silly questions (just kidding Keith)!!!! I love the fact that you can ho on here and find out so much information to help do it right, thanks everyone for being so open with what they have found that works.

Chuck Hochhalter
Old 01-31-2007, 10:50 PM
JAS

Keith,

I got a roll of the hook side and a roll of the loop side from Vel-Tye. It looks like regular 1" wide grey velcro. Guessing it's this one: http://www.veltye.com/inc/sdetail/113

"Brand hook 88, 1" Lt. Grey 300PSA 0172" and "Brand loop 1000, 1" Grey 300 PSA 0114" is what it says on the rolls. It's sticky back Velcro brand. Red backing on hook, blue backing on fuzzy. Sticky stuff is right on the Velcro, guessing the clear ultra-thin glue.

I put the hook on anything inside the plane that isn't removable. I was tought, and learned, that the hook side likes to stick to everything from clothes to carpet.

ORIGINAL: KeithB

Jason, I went to the Vel-Tye site, but I can’t tell what you have. Do you have the Commercial Grade 87S Hook, Industrial Grade MVA-8 Hook, or some other?

They have a RC Modeling Kit they sell for fuel tanks and batteries, is that what you bought, or did you just purchase a roll?

BTW, were did you purchase yours?

Thanks,
Keith B
Old 02-01-2007, 12:24 AM
KeithB

Thanks Todd and Jason. BTW, Todd, I don't think you and Jason are using the same stuff.

Jason, Based on the specifications you gave me I was able to find this interesting information about Velcro, types of hooks and types of adhesive. Notice that the Red Label adhesive is standard strength and recommended for high temperatures. The blue back is a stronger adhesive, but not recommended for high temp applications. That's probably my problem.

Hook Side

The rough side of VELCRO ® brand fastener is made of hundreds of tiny flexible HOOKS.

HOOK 88 - The standard heavy duty hook comprised of over 400 hooks per square inch with 8 millimeter diameters, made of woven nylon. (Used in 90% of all applications.)
HOOK 65 - A lower strength hook with slightly higher cycle life comprised of over 300 hooks per square inch with 6.5 millimeter diameter, made of woven nylon.
HOOK 805 - A less expensive thinner profile molded hook for light duty applications. Will not attract lint.
HOOK MVA#8 - A very high strength molded hook with 180 "T" shaped hooks per inch.

Loop Side
The soft, fuzzy side of VELCRO ® brand fastener is made of hundreds of small, soft LOOPS

LOOP 1000 - The standard heavy duty loop, made of woven nylon, is designed to mate to all VELCRO ® hook. Considered "napped" tape, the loops are randomly oriented which offers greater holding power. (Used in 90% of all applications.)
LOOP 2000 - The "unnapped" loop tape with loops oriented in neat rows. This tape is slightly better looking but offers less peel strength.
LOOP 3610 - A less expensive knitted loop for light duty applications. Used with HOOK 805.

Adhesives

PRESSURE SENSITIVE (PS) - The adhesive type of VELCRO ® brand tape which has a peel-off backing. The tape is also sold under the STICKY BACK ® Brand name.
Adhesive 0172 - An acrylic PS adhesive used in most applications. This adhesive is the standard that comes on most tapes and has RED logos printed on the peel-off tape.
Adhesive 0115 - An olefin based PS adhesive with high strength but low temperature applications, and has BLUE logos printed on the peel-off tape.
0140PRECOAT - This "dry" adhesive is pre-coated on the tape for later activation by ultrasonic sealing or with a solvent such as acetone. This is the tape to use in conjunction with liquid adhesive for a most secure bond.

All this info and more was found at [link=http://www.hookandloop.com/site/department.cfm?id=velcro_product_definitions&level=2000]www.hookandloop.com[/link].

Keith B

Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 AM
JAS

Man Keith that is way too much info for me...lol. But I guess I picked the right one's for the job. Red for the not super smooth surfaces, and Blue for the smooth plastic surfaces.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:52 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

Me ug, make simple, paint picture, thats the way i like it baby!!!!

Keith you rock!

Chuck
Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I have quit using velcro on the base. I now use light foam under the packs. Then I use 1 velcro strap. Easier on the pack than hard mounting it I figure.

Chris
Old 02-03-2007, 11:38 AM
sparky925

FUNNY!!
who would have thought 17 posts about velcro!!!
got to love the forums
Old 02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
JAS

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

I have quit using velcro on the base. I now use light foam under the packs. Then I use 1 velcro strap. Easier on the pack than hard mounting it I figure.

Chris
Chris,

The only problem I see with this is the packs are so heavy, that any foam you put under it will probably compress, so I don't think it would be softer than the velcro. And unless you're landing like my "landings" I have sometimes, then there is no more load on the pack with velcro over compressed foam. Good thing about the velcro under the pack is when you have a lapse of memory and go fly for 11 minutes at the Worlds without the straps around the packs, at least the velcro that's always there does it's job.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Yeah, you're probably right Jason. I just don't see the need for the extra velcro anymore. Unless something like what you are saying happended to you at the worlds came up. Hadn't heard that yet. Sounds like it turned out alright, I hope.
As for my landings, they are definitely very soft. I haven't seen yours(except your big ships) but I assume they are the same..
The foam I use is pretty soft. Probably doesn't help much, and I'm sure it's not needed as I don't know of anyone having battery failures caused from stress on the packs. The foam I use does keeep the packs from sliding really good though.

Thanks for the input!

Chris
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 PM
jameslundy

HAs anyone tried the VELCRO ULTRA THIN with the adhesive backing? It almost looks like thin felt, but I cant find it where I live yet.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Hans Meij

These are great:
http://www.f3alorenz.homepage.t-onli....htm#klettband
Old 04-26-2008, 07:07 PM
aa2dd

you can solve the velcro pulling loose problem by installing the velcro with a good application of goop to the glue side. gar-un-tee that it will not pull loose!

Bruce