RCU Forums - View Single Post - What Velcro do you use to hold batteries?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:24 AM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Velcro do you use to hold batteries?

Thanks Todd and Jason. BTW, Todd, I don't think you and Jason are using the same stuff.

Jason, Based on the specifications you gave me I was able to find this interesting information about Velcro, types of hooks and types of adhesive. Notice that the Red Label adhesive is standard strength and recommended for high temperatures. The blue back is a stronger adhesive, but not recommended for high temp applications. That's probably my problem.

Hook Side

The rough side of VELCRO ® brand fastener is made of hundreds of tiny flexible HOOKS.

HOOK 88 - The standard heavy duty hook comprised of over 400 hooks per square inch with 8 millimeter diameters, made of woven nylon. (Used in 90% of all applications.)
HOOK 65 - A lower strength hook with slightly higher cycle life comprised of over 300 hooks per square inch with 6.5 millimeter diameter, made of woven nylon.
HOOK 805 - A less expensive thinner profile molded hook for light duty applications. Will not attract lint.
HOOK MVA#8 - A very high strength molded hook with 180 "T" shaped hooks per inch.

Loop Side
The soft, fuzzy side of VELCRO ® brand fastener is made of hundreds of small, soft LOOPS

LOOP 1000 - The standard heavy duty loop, made of woven nylon, is designed to mate to all VELCRO ® hook. Considered "napped" tape, the loops are randomly oriented which offers greater holding power. (Used in 90% of all applications.)
LOOP 2000 - The "unnapped" loop tape with loops oriented in neat rows. This tape is slightly better looking but offers less peel strength.
LOOP 3610 - A less expensive knitted loop for light duty applications. Used with HOOK 805.

Adhesives

PRESSURE SENSITIVE (PS) - The adhesive type of VELCRO ® brand tape which has a peel-off backing. The tape is also sold under the STICKY BACK ® Brand name.
Adhesive 0172 - An acrylic PS adhesive used in most applications. This adhesive is the standard that comes on most tapes and has RED logos printed on the peel-off tape.
Adhesive 0115 - An olefin based PS adhesive with high strength but low temperature applications, and has BLUE logos printed on the peel-off tape.
0140PRECOAT - This "dry" adhesive is pre-coated on the tape for later activation by ultrasonic sealing or with a solvent such as acetone. This is the tape to use in conjunction with liquid adhesive for a most secure bond.

All this info and more was found at [link=http://www.hookandloop.com/site/department.cfm?id=velcro_product_definitions&level=2000]www.hookandloop.com[/link].

Keith B