Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:24 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chargers

Hey guys,

I need to buy another charger (the fan control fried on mine and it will need to go in to get fixed). I've been using the Thunderpower 1010 with TP210 balancer for two years now and like it but it would be nice to have internal resistance measurement. How are you guys liking the FMA charger, now that you've had a season to live with it? Would you buy it again?

Let me know, I'm going to get a new charger on order right away.

Steve
Old 09-06-2009, 02:58 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chargers

Steve, I really like the FMA CellPro 10S. It seems to balance the packs quicker than the TP1010C/TP210V. Only thing it is missing is any type of discharge capability. I have 2 CellPros but kept one of the TP1010C just to have some limited discharge capability.

Woodie
Old 09-06-2009, 04:52 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon C and I have connection issues quite frequently with ours. I thought it was just me, but it happens to Jon also. It's weird, I connect everything in the same order every time, sometimes it charges, sometimes it makes me reconnect. Sometimes it happens in the middle of the charge. I do like the charger though. Don't get me wrong. I would probably by another.

When's that new TP coming out? Anyone know?
Old 09-06-2009, 05:02 PM
woodie

Chris, I had the same thing happen and it turned out to be the adapter from the battery to the charger balancing ports. I could get the charger to stop by wiggling the adapter cable. Fixed the loose connection and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Woodie

How is that eMotion coming along? Test flights yet?
Old 09-06-2009, 05:14 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Cool. I'll try that Don! Thanks!!!!!

Emotion, well, I ran out of Dark Red Monokote, and needless to say, the roll I got is no good. I gave up on it last night, and have no interest in it today. Didn't get my paint either. Not looking good for Hollister. May just judge.

C
Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 PM
shannah

Thanks Guys,

I'll probably get the FMA on order. I had occasional connector problems with my TP data link connector so I guess nothing is perfect. As long as you are still happy with it and the features work out OK then its worth a try. I'll still have my TP after I get it fixed.

Steve.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:36 PM
SanJoseDale

Chris, does that mean you won't be doing that clinic for us lower class guys .....

Dale
Old 09-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Silent-AV8R

I use and like the Hyperion DUO chargers. Built in balancers with tap adapters available for about every battery ever made. Charges two packs at up to 15 amps (180 watts per side max), 20 battery memory, fully programmable, updates firmware over the Net, and just a rock solid charger.

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/eos/

The latest model is the EOS0615i DUO3
Old 09-07-2009, 04:46 PM
woodie

Quick question since I don't see the answer in a quick scan thru the documentation. Will the Hyperion charger tell you IR (internal resistance) per cell?

thx
Woodie
Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 PM
elan120
My Feedback: (1)

Don,

Short answer is no, but it will tell you the pack IR.

Kevin
Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

Icharger 1010B+ from hobbycity measure IR; both each cell and total pack. Nice price for a solid 300W, 10S charger.

Kjell Olav
Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: woodie

Quick question since I don't see the answer in a quick scan thru the documentation. Will the Hyperion charger tell you IR (internal resistance) per cell?

thx
Woodie
That it does not do, just for the total pack. But I understand that they are working on doing that and when they do it would likely be a simple firmware update done over the Net.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:14 AM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the Cellpro charger a couple months back and am just now getting to use it. I have two TP 1010s and have really liked how they operated... such a step up from the archaic method I was using the with AstroFlight I couldn't believe I waited as long as I did...

Anyway, the being able to read the IR is pretty neat... I actually like the operation of the charger better than the TP as well. With a combination of the two you really can't go wrong... What would be nice though, is if one could do it all... discharge AND read the IR of each cell. Should be just a matter of time.

Tom M
Old 09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
wagen017

ORIGINAL: 67685

Hi,

Icharger 1010B+ from hobbycity measure IR; both each cell and total pack. Nice price for a solid 300W, 10S charger.

Kjell Olav

Bought two of these chargers, very happy with them. One feature which is neat as well is the ability to upgrade the charger thru the USB connection. You can download the upgrades easily. You can also check the calibration of the charger if you have a good Volt meter. In this way you can balance your packs perfectly.

Volkert
Old 09-08-2009, 01:14 PM
shannah

So, with the cellpro, are you guys charging the pack as a single 10s or as two 5s packs? I would assume that everyone is charging in 10s mode. Are you using the connector board they supply or are you just using an adapter cable that plugs straight into the charger?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

The CellPro and TP charger differ most in the charge/balance methodology. TP puts in power through the main lead and then bleeds excess from the high cells via the balancer and heat. The CellPro charges like 10 (assuming a 10S pack) individual chargers and puts only what it needs into each cell via the balance lead primarily then turns that cell off. It gives a more accurate reading of what you just put in at the end of the charge cycle. The TP counts the energy it sent to the pack including what it bleeds off as heat through the balancer so the amount that actually stayed in the pack is unknown.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:59 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: shannah

So, with the cellpro, are you guys charging the pack as a single 10s or as two 5s packs? I would assume that everyone is charging in 10s mode. Are you using the connector board they supply or are you just using an adapter cable that plugs straight into the charger?
I just bought my second CellPro 10S. I've been charging as 10S after charging the new 5s packs individually the first time. That connector board is a kluge and I don't use it. I shaved some plastic off my Thunder Power 12 inch extensions and plug them directly into the CellPro. You are then good to go for TP and compatible balance connectors. I use short adapters for True RC and Rhino to the TP extension.

Jim
Old 09-08-2009, 03:10 PM
shannah

Thanks Jim,

I'll probably just get the 10" pigtail they sell and splice on the TP extension cable (I've got extra ones, so it's easy to cut and splice). I don't like the connector board either.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:44 AM
flyf3a

Hi

Great chargers, only problem is that it keeps on blowing fuses. Have now changed to 240 volt 5 amp fuses and seems to have sorted out problem. Seems to be a common problem up till know but maybe sorted out on the new chargers.

Regards
Burt