Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

To B(ec) or Not to B(ec)

Old 08-29-2009, 09:09 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To B(ec) or Not to B(ec)

I've been working on getting back into pattern with an 8s setup in a scratch built plane that I am going to build from scaled down and modified Gator Giles plans. I pretty much know the rational for running a separate rec battery and regulator, especially in full 2m planes flying Masters and FAI. Right now I am pricing components and have to work within a pretty tight budget. I will be flying intermediate with a plane that is about the same size as a Focus Sport, but hopefully a little lighter. My planned setup so far is;

AXI 4130-20 (fixed- I already have one)
Rhino 4s3700 x 2
Servos-probably some Hitec 625's I have laying around.
ESC- Turnegy 100a BESC, or ??? Would anyone suggest any thing else?

Opinions appreciated.

Also, when I get the budget for a backup, what do people think of Scorpion Motors. A guy I fly with around here is really sold on them, but he flies mostly 3s and 4s stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55363.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1265165  
Old 08-29-2009, 10:51 AM
jumper666

Default RE: To B(ec) or Not to B(ec)

I LIKE Scorpion. They are in several of my planes. I did have trouble with one, build thousands of anything and a problem will have to crop up sooner or later, but Randy at RCDude.com came through to make things right. Check his offerings out when you get around to shopping for Scorpion.

The Corsair and Addiction here are mine: http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/.fc11d...onSetups5/Page

gb
Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 AM
randy10926
My Feedback: (19)

Not to BEC. If the 8s pack goes you not only lose power; you also lose your plane as you have NO control.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: randy10926

Not to BEC. If the 8s pack goes you not only lose power; you also lose your plane as you have NO control.
Pretty much what I decided. Looking at the CC 85HV. Turnegy makes a 100HV that is $70 less, but ~60g heavier.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:46 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

You can special order the Castle controller without the heatsink which saves a lot of weight.
It runs so cool you really don't need the heatsink. This summer I flew at a contest with Chip
Hyde and Todd Blose who were running the Castle HV85 with no heatsink and they had no
problems in the south Texas 105 deg summer heat.

tommy s
Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 PM
dreadnaut

Just went to CC website, and they appear to have a new product called CC ICE.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...oenix_ice.html

Their 75 amp model seems adequate, but is a BEC type ESC. They recommend using an add on BEC/regulator if you are planning a high servo load. There goes the cost and weight savings.

The specs on the website claim that it can deliver 5 amps out of the BEC at full power on 8cells. Will this be enough? (I've never run any thing bigger than 3cells and have no experience with what servos on this size plane draw) It would be great if I could disable the BEC, and run a 2cell with a Jaccio type reg for the receiver. I sent an e-mail to tech support at Castle about this. I should get a response in a few days.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

Their 75 amp model seems adequate, but is a BEC type ESC. They recommend using an add on BEC/regulator if you are planning a high servo load. There goes the cost and weight savings.

Oops. I misspoke. I had read the specs for the Phoenix ICE LIGHT. The Phoenix ICE HV is not BEC. At $120 msrp, and Castles rep. My mind is made up.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
flyboy91
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would recommend staying away from BEC's. It is just to much of a risk. If something burns up in your aircraft you have now just lost the entire airframe. I've had it at times where a battery can come disconnected in flight or ejected then you have just lost your plane. With Lipo's being very inexpensive from China get a cheap 730 2 cell pack and a regulator and you will not have to worry.

Andrew Jesky
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM
dreadnaut

Andy,

Thanks for the reply, I already have a couple of 640 2s Rhinos on order. (should be fine for a .110 sized setup) Have not yet ordered a regulator. Is the Jaccio still available?
Old 09-06-2009, 05:10 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Jaccio's are still sold at Central.

[link]http://www.centralhobbies.com/Electrical/voltage_regulator/Perfectstch.html[/link]

Chris
Old 09-06-2009, 08:41 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also consider Ed Alt's regulators from Tech-Aero Designs. Ed really goes the extra mile with the features found in his regulators.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 PM
dreadnaut

Thanks all for the opinions and advice. I will defiantly be running a separate Rec. battery. The workshop is almost ready and I will be ordering wood in a week or two. There may be a build tread coming, if it looks like I will have time to get this done quickly.

EDIT:

Would anyone recommend a regulator with a "safe switch"?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Alaska Reeves
My Feedback: (3)

Hi, I would recommend the Radio South regulator with fail safe switch. That is what I am running now. Reeves in Alaska.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:34 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last weekend, I saw with open eyes the differences that Tech-Aero Regulators from Ed Alt have going for them. I removed the heat shrink from a R.S. and a Jaccio regulators that I had laying around and compared it to his . They(R.S. and Jaccio )have worked and have been around for years, but Ed's have significant and additional design features. I'd suggest you contact him to get the low down.