RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Lightning Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/10146381-lightning-build.html)

Viper Driver 04-25-2012 06:36 PM

RE: Lightning Build

Tim,

You are welcome. You can use Profili or Compufoil to print out wing ribs. I am using Profili Pro version for a future project and it works very well. It has some nice features, such as the ability to adjust the trailing edge thickness, that come in handy for pattern plane design.

Jeff

69 roadrunner 05-03-2012 06:20 AM

I have a evolution 26 gas motor will that be a good choice. What does this plane come in at in the weight. Thanks RoadRunner

rcpattern 05-03-2012 06:27 AM

Weight shouldnt be a problem with this plane. I'm sure Jeff will chime in with the exact number, but I believe last year at the NATS he was around 4650. The plane is ultralight and flies very well,

Arch

Viper Driver 05-03-2012 08:56 PM

RoadRunner,

It would be possible to use a gas engine, but the are a few changes that would have to be made. The Lightning was designed to use an electric motor, so there is no cowl. Additionally, since the electric motor has much less vibration, the airframe was designed lighter. With a gas motor, the front end of the fuselage should be strengthened. These modifications will add weight, but it should be posible to stay under 11 pounds. The official weight of mine at the 2011 Nats was 4612 grams.

Jeff

rmh 05-04-2012 04:32 AM

Under 11 lbs - EZ.

I have built stuff using ZDZ40 -well under 11 lbs
The BIG problem in using gassers is was and will still be the power pulses inherant in the rpm band used

Good balsa construction is the best forsoaking up th pulses (motor mounts will NOT fix this basic condition-just soften the condition some)
So I am doing - again a design using balsa /spruce -
I do have carbon fibre but basics will be wood.

gdaddy 06-04-2012 06:03 AM

My Lightning is done! Should be flying it this week. I will post pictures as soon as possible. Very excited to get this thing in the air. Since I have Dave Snow's Dynamic wings and stabs,, I am dubbing this plane "Lightning Dynamic"

More to come soon!

astropuppy 06-04-2012 06:21 AM

Congrats; Bring it up to the pattern contest in Boise, ID this coming weekend. We would love to see it.

[link]http://www.nsrca.us/d8/2012/TreasureValleyPatternContest.pdf[/link]

http://www.nsrca.us/d8/2012/Treasure...ernContest.pdf

gdaddy 06-04-2012 06:29 AM

Thats the plan . If I cant get out to fly it a few times beforehand, I'll have to fly Jesky's 2M Osiris prototype. Sad,, I know...

astropuppy 06-04-2012 06:36 AM

Is Andrew and Darrin coming up? I haven't heard from them and hate to pester.

gdaddy 06-04-2012 07:05 AM

Yes. Darin and Andrew and I along with about 6 others as I understand it. We are all really looking forward to it!

astropuppy 06-04-2012 07:06 AM

Maybe I need to plan on two flight lines....

gdaddy 06-04-2012 07:30 AM

Maybe!! One for the Utah contigent and one for everybody else!!

Viper Driver 06-04-2012 05:04 PM

Congratulations on completing your Lightning. I am looking forward to pictures and a flight report!

gdaddy 06-07-2012 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Hmm,

I cant get the pictures to show up Upload finishes fine. Just . No.. Pictures!
</p>

gdaddy 06-07-2012 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Whoops! Lets try this again

gdaddy 06-07-2012 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Once more with bigger size!

gdaddy 06-07-2012 09:29 AM

All pictures taken with my IPhone and my one good eye.

Plane flys well. Moving the CG around right now. Does everything it should. My finish is ok,,, all paint.. I had started on a much more involved finish and ran into issues, I sanded it all back down and did this finish in a couple days with waterbase AutoAir and Chromaclear. Using the inexpensive A60 7S motor, DX18 radio, Spektrum servos throughout. Flying a contest this weekend with it. I have been flying the 2M Osiris for awhile now and Ireally feel comfortable with it. I will still fly this one, however, as I have been working on it since October and I'm pretty psyched!

tschmidt 06-07-2012 11:06 AM

Excellent Job! ;) I bet it shows up in the air good...

gdaddy 06-07-2012 11:16 AM

Shows up pretty well. The fuselage size is a fair bit smaller than the Big O. It appears a little bit smaller to me. I'm sure it will go away once Ifly it a bunch more and pick my spot in the sky more appropriately

Excited to fly my first contest in 20 some odd years. The last one I flew was in Vegas and I was flying one of my new Ariel's Ihad just started kitting. This is going to be fun!

69 roadrunner 06-07-2012 11:19 AM

Looks great going to order one today for my fathers day gift. The wife just dosnt know that is what they are getting me. Steve

gdaddy 06-07-2012 11:20 AM

Wives are great that way. Mine has ok'ed or bought me so much stuff she doesnt even know about.

JRgraham 06-07-2012 04:03 PM

gdaddy, what is different about the wings??

Looks great, Im sure you will be pleased with it. It will be interesting to see how you think it differs from the Osiris

maustin 06-07-2012 05:04 PM

gdaddy,
How do you like the A60 7S V2 motor? What prop, bats and ESC are you running? I have a new A60 7S in my Pentathlon but need new bats to really tell what the motor will do.

Thanks,
maustin

Viper Driver 06-09-2012 07:11 AM

WOW, your Lightning Dynamic looks fantastic! It is the first one I have seen, other than my own, and you made it look great. What a satisfying feeling to break ground with an airplane you have spent 6 to 9 months of your time on.

Good luck in your first contest back. I have had to take a few extended breaks from competition and everytime I realize I have missed it more than I thought.

Congratulations!

Jeff

Jason Arnold 06-09-2012 02:38 PM

Nice job mate. Looking great!

Cheers,
Jason.