Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Mini Titan thread

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Mini Titan thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:28 PM
osterizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Titan thread

Yep, I got mine there in the package deal with the TT swash.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 AM
redvtr1000

I got my kasama from GrandRC as Barracuda suggested. These are the blades I was talking about from helidirect.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=576

Check the reviews on their site, alot of people seem to be pretty happy with them and for 24 bucks for some cf blades I think they are pretty decent.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:18 AM
RC David

Thanks guys.

I've started a list of upgrades for my MT that I will buy as I need them. The Kasama and Sonix heads are at the top of the list.

Kasama:
http://www.grandrc.com/inc/sdetail/100886 ($159.99) (I don't see a matching tail set though)

Sonix/Precision CNC: http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=5250 ($110.00)

As for the CF blades (thanks red) I filled out the "notify me when available" on Helidirect for the "high quality" CF blades as they are out of stock.

I was going to get some "slightly blemished" Cutis Youngblood CF blades for $29.00 but I think I'll wait and try these from Helidirect first.

I think I may end up upgrading the frame with this from Helidirect: <http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...ducts_id=5252>

I already bought a new lower plastic frame but if I trash that too many times (I think I can only weld-bond the landing gear mounts 2-3 times) so after that I might as well get the more durable frame.

It's getting closer to the point that I will have to try to fly this thing outdoors. I'm deathly afraid of crashing so if you guys have ANY "tips" for a beginners first outdoor flights I'm all ears. I did build some new, extra long training gear and plan to fly when the wind is below 5mph. Only about 4 weeks left to fly at the indoor places I've been flying.

Dave D.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:24 AM
osterizer

If it's high over you and looks like it's standing still, move!

You'll like it outside, Dave. It seemed weird to me at first, but after a while I internalized that I had a lot more air to play in and really started to have fun. Just take the increased distances slowly. It can be more difficult maintaining orientation when the heli is farther away, so it's best to work up to it.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 AM
redvtr1000

Yep, outside is definitely a bit less stressful for me. When I started out, I tried to keep the heli low enough where I could practice tail in/sides in and bring the power down for a landing when things got out of hand. The training gear helped out there to cushion hard landings.

After I could do the basic hovers, I moved out of the garage and practiced getting a bit higher. Once you can get some altitude, you can move to nose in without too much fear. You just learn and practice your bailout move. It was tough for me getting used to seeing this small heli up at altitude but it helped alot with my confidence once I found that I could screw up a time or two and have altitude to try and correct it.

I dunno about the frame upgrade. I think the stock plastic is pretty good. I've broken the base plate once by smacking it up pretty good but other than that I hadn't ever damaged it until my last crash where it broke in so many places it had to go in the trash. Check the reviews on the frame if you go that way, I almost remember a post from another forum where there were some fitment issues.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Crossfade
My Feedback: (1)

Got my Scorpion -8 in today, can someone tell me what wire is what ? all 3 wires are black. or does it matter

Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 06:12 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Doesnt matter. If it spins the wrong way pick two and swap them.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Crossfade
My Feedback: (1)

k, thanks

Edit:

I got it mounted and spinning the right way, have'nt flown it yet but i have spun it up a lil bit and i'm guessing the fan on this motor is whats making that whistling noise which makes my titan sound like a jet airplane, lol
Old 03-21-2008, 12:53 PM
apacitto123

Just read the thread on mini titan and just thought i would throw in my two cents. I bought the original MT with ACE esc and ttr motor and have had exellent performance from both. I upgraded the swashplate and rotorhead to alum and added carbon blade (mah). I just purchased the SE edition which included full alum rotor head , alum tail components and carbon boom and blades as well as ACE esc and 3700kv motor (instead of the 3500kv). Earlier in the post someone mentioned a fault motor, this motor was also faulty( didnt fry the esc though. The lhs had the ttr 3500kv so i put in for now untill they get the other one. Its slightly taller so should have plenty of torque. Anyhow the componets used in MT are
-mah blades
-Jr mini heli servo pack (mini digital x3, and a super fast tail servo)
-telebee gyro
-Flightpower 2170mah lipo (3s)
-ttr esc and brushless(3500kv)
-aluminum rotor head and swashplate

MT Se

-ttr carbon blades (these blades are nice, very quiet , non tapered, track really nice)
-Hitec HS-65 (these servos are a little bit to big-you have to file the mounts on the heli a bit)
-Hitec Gyro and high rate servo combo (very nice gyro holds like my gy-611 on my raptor, amazing piroette and tail stopping, absolute night and day betwween telebee gyro)
-ttr power system(3500kv for now)
-Flight power 2170 mah (3s)

The flight power li-pos are a touch on the light side for balancing but give nice duration- easy flying will give 10 minutes
Old 03-24-2008, 04:36 AM
eddienz38

So where do I look next?

After a mild crash of my mini titan I replaced the boom, Flybar and paddles, mixxing lever,feathering shaft and main shaft

i also am running a new set of align fibreglass blades with TT spacers

I just cant seem to get it to track properly now. Balance is all good but just cant seem to get the tracking right no.

Any thoughts on where to look.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
GRR_Mojo

AH-1 Cobra

Has anyone seen this

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=2711
Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 AM
redvtr1000

I've been watching that scale body, looks nice. I think I would break it before getting it installed though....not to say anything about the quality, just that I don't have the best of luck with things like that.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:22 AM
redvtr1000

Eddienz38,

I've had the same issues once in a while. I couldn't get mine to track perfect after going to some align blades, ended up having to throw some orange tape on one blade and had a buddy watch the disk while I hovered it. If you can note whether the blade with the tape is below or above the other blade you can tell for sure which way you need to adjust it. I've seen people use this method but I always just designated a master blade and would keep trying with adjusting the other to get them right. Until I had a friend from the field go through the orange tape process, I could not get it right.

You may have to give a turn to one of the long links as opposed to the links going to the grips. When you get it close with the long links, you can fine tune it with the links on the grips. If your tracking isn't continously fluctuating during the flight, I would think you should be able to get it in adjustment. If it is fine one flight, then off the next, you might have another problem.

I had a loose ball hiding on me at one point in time, I would get the tracking spot on and fly a pack just fine. Change the pack and tracking would be out again, found a ball that was getting ready to pull out of the plastic. It would wobble up and down and that was killing my tracking.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:00 PM
RC David

Thanks Oster & red.

I'm looking forward to taking the MT outside next month. I will follow your advice and not fly too far away in the beginning. I actually get nervous flying higher than 8 feet right now :-/

Between spring break (indoor school gym closed) and being down with the flu, I have not been flown in almost 2 weeks.

Hope I'm not rusty when I resume.

Dave D.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:58 PM
GRR_Mojo

What flybar paddles can you use on the MT
Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
redvtr1000

I think ive read of folks using some gorilla gear paddles.

You can definitely use the green "shrek" paddles found on the mini titan se.

RC David,

I think you will be fine. I can get a bit rusty here and there, since my mt crashed the last time I haven't flown a heli but once. I've got my titan hanging around but haven't had much time for it. Just take the first battery easy and work back into it. After your comfortable, I'd start working back up to get a bit of altitude. Get comfortable looking at the heli when it is a bit higher up. Once you are good with some altitude underneath you, you can make some strides in learning if you practice your bailout moves. That helped me a good bit, knowing you have enough altitude to screw up and at least try to get it back is a good thing for confidence.

I really miss my MT right now, last crash trashed it and I haven't been able to rekit. My house and car got pretty beaten up by the storms that came through Atlanta a couple weeks ago, 500 dollar deductibles on both of them so no spare rc cash right now. Got me stuck with the planks basically, I've got the raptor still but I'm not pushing my luck with that.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 AM
osterizer

Sorry to hear that, red. Hope the repairs make them better than they were before, though.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Guizmo17

Any 1 has the SE version ? Whats the differents in flight with the pro or the std ?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:13 PM
GRR_Mojo

Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 PM
RC David

Thanks for the encouragement. Now for the latest...

I took the MT out today for the first time in 3 weeks. Two things concerned me.

#1 The whole heli had a little "shimmy" going on that I never saw before. I thought it might be a training gear balance issue so I removed the training gear and rotated it 90 degrees and re-attached it. Same shimmy. Then rotated the training gear another 90 degrees. Still didn't really help. Not a BIG shimmy but a shimmy that wasn't there before. It's been SMOOTH AS SILK until now. The ONLY thing I've done since the last flight was add a small thin strip of carbon fiber between the landing gear and the frame mounts on the front and back to give it a little more strength. This was only about 1/8" x 1 1/4" and only raised the heli 1/16 of an inch. I don't see how it would cause it to shimmy. WHAT'S GOING ON HERE???

#2 Towards the end of 3 out of 4 packs the heli would start "pulsating" or "wagging" the tail just enough to notice. It would pulse (shake) constantly after about 6 minutes of hovering and look as if it was losing power rapidly. I didn't want something bad to happen so I just landed it and let it cool for the next pack.

I recently heard that T-Rex's shake the tails when the battery gets low but I hadn't heard before and NEVER saw my mini-Titan do that until today. I'm not 100% sure but I DON'T think it shook/pulsed at the end of the first pack and I flew a good 10 minutes.

Can ANYONE shed some light on these two issues?

Thanks!!!

Dave D.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Super D

SHimmy? Blade Tracking, Low headspeed, Belt tight -due to temp change.

Wagging? Low headspeed, If you flew 10 minutes your headspeed is probably too low. I can fly 8 minutes if I just fly scale. If I 3d, I get 6 minutes. BTW the better you get the shorter your flight times become, at least following the 80% use of pack rule.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:21 AM
RC David

Flight Report...

All seems fine. Thanks for the info. Super D. I had neglected to mention a few things from Friday.

#1 This was all indoors in a school gym so the temp was roughly 68 degrees.

#2 My headspeed IS probably too low but that's how my mentor set it as I'm just hovering. I plan to increase it however VERY soon just to see what it's like.

#3 I'd guess you could say I'm getting better as I'm starting to accelerate faster, turning right, left and forward 20-30 feet and then straightening out with tail in again so I guess that's using the pack up faster. I still think my FMA Revolectrix packs are better then my Thunder Power eXtreme V2's.

Sat night was better (but colder in a non-heated golf dome at about 50 degrees). I had much less shimmy so I think it WAS related to which way my training gear was attached (I marked a leg so I can put them back on the same way next time).

There were NO wagging issues at all. I'm not sure what caused them Fri but I'm going to leave well enough alone and just FLY THE DARNED THING! It's getting close to the first outdoor flight but I found a cool place that is a recessed retention pond that should be very low wind. I hope to go there in the next 2-3 weeks.

Next thing I have to do is buy some Gorilla Gear. Not sure where I'll buy from but I thought I'd wait until the next crash so that I can order several parts at the same time to save on shipping.

Lastly, I'm REALLY thinking about getting the MT SE. Has anyone bought and flown one extensively that can give me a "report"? I'd like to know how it compares to a (dare I say) T-Rex 450 SE V2. I'm looking for EASY TO FLY/CONTROL here ;-).

THANKS!!!

Dave D.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 PM
redvtr1000

David,

Those wagging issues you spoke of on 3 of 4 packs sounds like the low voltage warning. The esc has a "soft cutoff" where it will reduce the amount of power to the motor in pulses to warn you that you are getting close to the point of overdischarging your packs. Some esc's have soft cutoff followed by hard cutoff (complete removal of power to the main motor but you should still have power to the rx and electrical components).

If you are using the stock ace esc, it has this feature. It will pulse the tail and cause the main rotor to lose rpm as well. If this is what is going on, you will learn to know when its coming and land before. A timer helps on this once you get it set. I just fly till I hit the cutoff and then land. You can set the point where the soft cutoff kicks in by going through your esc setup procedures and selecting the correct option.

I wouldn't worry so much about the slight shimmy, kinda hard to make everything disappear but I would check everything anyhow seen as it wasn't there and developed. A very mild tracking issue can cause the slight shimmy you described, could also be balance. Trial and error with some tape and the blades can often cure this if you have already confirmed that there are no tracking issues.

I had a slight shimmy develop, got worse over a few flights. Ended up being a ball link working itself out ever so slowly, it would throw tracking out as it wobbled around in the hole.

I would skip the MT SE, just buy a kasama head and jgf 500th motor with a 14t pinion. Pick up a set of the se paddles if you want them and you are set. You could upgrade to the metal tail and carbon boom as well if you felt like it but I don't see much need for it. The aluminum boom is pretty cheap for crashing and I haven't got any bad feelings about the tail so I haven't bothered to upgrade it.

I managed to talk my better half into letting me grab another mt kit this weekend, I'll be building and back in the air by the weekend hopefully.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:03 PM
osterizer

ORIGINAL: redvtr1000
I managed to talk my better half into letting me grab another mt kit this weekend, I'll be building and back in the air by the weekend hopefully.
Good deal, redvtr- glad you'll be back in the mix soon .
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 PM
RC David

Thanks red.

That wagging was just wierd as I'd NEVER seen my MT do that. I am using the stock ACE ESC but didn't know it had that pulse feature as part of it's "soft cutoff". That's good to know. If I didn't mention it before I also installed an HRPoly-X Li-Po Alarm on it 3 weeks ago. I have it set to beep/flash at 10.5 volts and land when I reach that point. I was just getting too nervous worrying about over discharging my $70.00 packs. The alarm works great so far but during the sessions where the tail wagged, it wagged BEFORE the alarm sounded. Oh well. I guess it will take more time before I get a real good feel for the batteries.

As for the shimmy, I'll double-check my ball links but hopefully it's nothing. I've only got about 40 flights on it so I feel I might be over reacting to the "little things". It flew pretty darned well last weekend and I'll be taking it to the gym this Fri again so hopefully all is well.

I received a reply from GJF about whether I should use a JGF500 or 450 motor. Here is their reply;

<500TH is our over 3000 RPM 3S Motor that runs cool with plenty of power.
450TH is more of a 2600 RPM 3S Motor for sport flying but very popular and also runs cool. But in comparison at higher power the 500TH runs coolest.>

Based on that, I guess I'm better off getting the 500TH as long as it will be ok to run it at 2000-2300 RPM. Right now I'm at about 2000 RPM

I probably won't upgrade the head just yet so is it safe to assume the 500TH motor isn't too powerful for the plastic head? I know you like the Kasama head but the other thing I'm concerned about is getting replacement Kasama parts. The guys at the hobby shop said it's better to get the Thunder Tiger head as it will be easier/faster to get their replacement parts.

Glad your better half let you get another kit. I haven't yet TOLD my better half I want another kit :-/ I need to break these things to her SLOWLY.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.