Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Ebay Rafale...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ebay Rafale...?

Electron! Sorry to hear of your troubles....but what size ESC are you useing. Im useing the Don's wicked 4800 and a CC54ESC with a 2200 3s and the thing just screams! Even with the 2200 batt I wouldnt dare go over a 3-4min flight cause it draws so many amps.
The CC54amp is only rated for 3s but sometimes(more often then not) I through a 4s in her and OH my God!!! It has to be reaching 90+mph. wish someone could Doppler my Vid.

As for the cooling question Psycho Synapse. Go back some pages and youll see pic's of how I openned two holes into the airduct so that the battery could be moved back and that the hot air can be drawn into the intake. This also requires an even smaller hole in the canopy. 1"exit hole calls for a 1/2" entrance hole. This creates a vacume and holds the canopy down.

Out of boardom and still wanting even more speed, I covered the entire plane with packing tape. WOW! does it ever go now I did this first with my T-45 and it made such a huge diffrence I just couldnt resist. Im glad I did. Now Im going to add even sharper leading edges with plastic styreen. That should get it over the 100mph range for sure.

Trevor
Old 10-16-2008, 09:05 PM
electron
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the same setup as you a CC54 and Don's 4800kv.. BTW I checked this setup on my power analyzer and it pulls at max 397 watts and 38.8 amps which is no where near the max output for that ESC.. As far as the battery I am using a 2200 Mah 25c battery which is capable of 55amps cont.. Of course there is the one issue that it got hot enough to cause the velcro tape to come loose and fall out of the plane.. Next time I am out I will get some accurate temp readings off the battery, but my guess it was around 120 degress as on the third run I did a feel test and it was warm but not damaging hot.. BTW if you are using the stock velcro you might want to look at a better way to secure the battery ..

Electron
Old 10-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Vettster

Yup I lost my battery inverted once aswell. poxxy a piece of plywood to the bottom and add velcro to that.

I have to take a look back and see what watts I was pulling, but im sure it was around the 550w mark with a 3s and 850w with the 4s with both around the 39a area.

Your amp draw is about perfect. The thing is.. when you go full thottle, ocasionnaly you will peak your amps to about 45A and thats why you need the 54aESC. A 45a ESC is cutting it a litle close and can over heat. What bothers me is why your Watts are so low.

Here's another thead on the same thing. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=rafale

Theres some good reading in here and Don Himself is anwering alot of questions.

Yes: Im getting 470w on a slightly used 3s. So I would expect about 500w to be the norm. Try putting a 4s in her.. Youll love it!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Squirrlybird

Well, my stock motor is burnt out and I really dont want to argue with HL any more about it. They sent me an F-18 motor insisting that it was the same (but it is definately less powerful). Now I am buying the Don's wicked 4800 with a pentium 40. My only concern now is - How am I going to get my 2200mah Kong Power packs to balance in this thing? I'm just not sure that I can hog out enough foam for my Kongs. I really hope I dont have to buy new batteries.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Vettster

check out post #99 make sure you go into the intakes so as to cool the battery. Then put a small hole ontop in front of the batter in the canopy.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:30 PM
electron

I am thinking my watts reading might be different because I am reading it at the battery not at the motor.. Anotherwards I have the power analyzer between my battery and ESC not between the ESC and Motor... I never read it that way because the main thing I want to know about is amp/watt draw on the battery BTW the highest peak I have seen is 412 watts. I did the same thing with the velcro and secured it behind a small piece of plywood.. BTW I went out today and had a blast with Rafale, got 5 flights in with no problems, it really is a fun plane to fly around and do some inverted low passes with..

Electron
Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Vettster

Old 10-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Vettster

well! Its all over. I took a walk into the farmers feild and didnt like what he was growing. Im not going to bother waiting another 4 months for HobbyNobby to come up with fues. On the good side of the news...this means I can through that "Don;s wicked motor" into my L-39 it should really move out with that in er, eh!...

Take it easy everyone! Well meet again when we fly the same thing again

Trevor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21103.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1058736  
Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 PM
electron

Bummer... To bad that was a nice looking aircraft.... Look forward to seeing it in the L-39... I hear you about HobbyNobby they are supposed to sending a replacement motor for the stock one that burned up in three flights and that was over a month ago still no motor, glad I didn't wait at least I have Don's 4800kv motor.. I just plan on selling the stock motor but still the point is they are very SLOW....

Electron
Old 10-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Squirrlybird

Just for an update, I absolutely love the wicked 4800 with the Pentium 40. I did have to hog out a hole for my battery that put it all the way into the ducting. I do like the way it lands with the added weight of the larger battery as it doesnt float quite as far but still sets down nice and easy. This new motor sounds great in the air and very quiet too.

In short, if you are thinking of upgrading to this motor, it is well worth it.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:40 AM
fossoman

Ok no activity on this thread in weeks wake up lets not let this thread die this is a good plane just has a few bugs that need worked out. Like the crappy landing gear that bends if you grass land it. I know you guys have been taking the landing gear off. But the landing gear is one of the reasons I bought this plane. Ive got mine put back together or should I say replaced I got a new fuselage wings and tail and put it together. They didnt have any nose cones in stock so I had to rig up an ugly nose for it till they get some more. I plan to get the dons wicked edf or this motor Which Ive heard good things about. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/littlescreamers.htm
Anyway give me an update on how the dons wicked edf and the ESC are holding up you guys have had them for a while now. Assuming your Rafale's are still in one piece I know vettster has given up on this plane. But I plan to work out the bugs and stay with it. At least until the next crash
Happy Flying and good luck. Fossoman/ Oh yeah here is another good plane I plan to buy it hauls stock with no mods. http://www.nitroplanes.com/frarecoedfrc.html

Name:	Xv65078.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1080677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88776.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1080678  
Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 PM
fossoman

well Ive flown my Rafale 4 times with no problems. Havent done the motor upgrade yet but soon. It seems faster than I remember. Of course I was flying the repaired fuselage before so it wasnt straight in relation to the canards being slightly off level so the plane had to be trimmed to compensate. It flew Ok but the new one is much easier and stable. I Guess Im going with the little screamers motor. Since Hobby Lobby has the motor and if theres any problem I can return it without having to wait for weeks for a replacement or refund.
Happy Flying .
Old 12-18-2008, 06:42 PM
getmorc
My Feedback: (6)

Mine is doing just fine with all the up grades I have done. I like it . But I like my airpac f-20 better 70mm
is so cool. now I have a 90mm to play with and I might put it in a tam f-16. lol Bill
Old 12-25-2008, 03:07 PM
fossoman

Got A new edf in my hanger heres a pic with the rafale for size comparison I havent flown it yet got it put together Christmas eve will fly it on the 26th.

Name:	Jh15661.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1096440  
Old 12-25-2008, 10:04 PM
electron

Cool looking plane... Let us know how it fly's..

Electron
Old 12-26-2008, 05:16 PM
fossoman

so far its hell on wings to fly. put it in a briar patch on first take off Luckily only minor damage. the throws were set to high. I had another guy test fly it and set it up but it was too windy for me to attempt my first flight. He said its real tough. It has an option to add 2 more servos to the rear for separate elevator control the wiring is there but it doesnt come with the servos. linkages come with it to hook it up.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 PM
fossoman

Well the F35 is doing great its a little Easier to fly than the Rafale Cant do a slow glide to land with it have to come in hot or you lose too much air on the control surfaces to keep it level. But the Rafale has a lot of slop in the control linkages the horns have holes to large for the linkages. so it wants to rock a little when your flying it. But man it lands itself compared to this new plane. My instructor Greased a couple of landings with the new plane yesterday. Im still working on getting the nose to come down to set up for a landing before im too far down the field.

Ive updated this since I first posted I Upgraded the Exceed F35 with 2 servos added to the tail control surfaces. The serperate elevator control Made this plane go from Good to Excellent. It just takes some getting used to. You have to push the nose down to land it to maintain some airspeed. It went from difficult to land to easy after the upgrade. Its stable even in 15 MPH winds now. Great Plane. One negative is the Radio that comes with it is not even good enough for this plane I just shelved it. So if you decide to buy one just get it minus the Radio Equipment and use your own. Im using an old Spektrum DX6 and this thing ROCKS.

As Far as the Rafale thats been a dissapointment I upgraded the motor and I guess I went with the wrong one or the fan blade is not right. Its barely faster than stock. But still Fun.

Name:	Xu62863.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1102790  
Old 01-24-2009, 04:40 PM
fossoman

Its a shame this thread has gone dead. what happened did everyone trash there Rafale and give up. Im still flying mine. Its no F-35 but its still fun to fly. And Actually easier to see than the F35
Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM
electron

I know for me it's called winter... I have still have my Rafale, love the plane but the weather has been nasty so I have been playing with the heli's right now.. Looking forward to some nice weather to get out and fly the Rafale some more in the spring though...

Electron
Old 01-25-2009, 07:21 PM
fossoman

Ive started a website devoted to Ducted fan planes and Rc Helicopters check it out http://flightwizzard.wetpaint.com/