Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby-Lobby SU-34 Full Back

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Hobby-Lobby SU-34 Full Back

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby-Lobby SU-34 Full Back

ORIGINAL: xviper

OK, it's ready to fly. I will be doin the maiden thing in the morning. Hope it flies! [X(]
Let us know how the maiden flight goes. I have found that the SU-34 takes off & lands with better pitch control with vectoring ON... but at a low rate. A rate of about 55% works fine.

Got my Blue 360 version a couple of days ago.. yet to build it..plan to start within a week or so.

Finished the F-35 360 today and flew it a couple of times. Wow got a lot to learn about using the 360 vectoring. I think I need to cut the amount of movement down on the nozzle cause it is very effective. This thing has been perfect out of the box. Seems to me HL is cranking up the quality of the servos, and D/F & gear as they come out with newer Jets. I've installed a 7/8 channel Futaba 2.4 receiver in the F-35 controlled by my 14MZ transmitter. I'm going to set up conditions that will allow me to adjust the amount of vector while flying..so I can save some time getting it set right for me.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:39 AM
ftjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it may have to wait a couple of days. We are getting winds from the north which will give me a good cross wind to deal with so i think i'll plan on test flying it on tuesday. I usually fly in just about any weather but have too much invested in this one to chance it. Until then maybe i can get some feedback on the set up. One thing that is worrying me is the amps. Individually, the motors pulled 41-43 amps at WOT but with both spinning at WOT i am reading 101 amps. Comparing it to my stock SU-34, which again pulled just over 40 amps each, it only pulled about 60-65 amps with both fans. The HM fans stay under 60 amps up to about 3/4 throttle or maybe a bit more but then shoot up to 101 in the last bit of throttle. The largest battery i could fit in it was a 4000 but it's only 20C which gives me 80 amps. My 3300 30C gives me 99 amps but won't last long at that draw i'm sure. I'll be fine keeping it below 3/4 throttle but i want some high speed passes. That's why i modified this thing. Any idea why the motors stay at what i would consider the expected power consumption but blast off to 100+ amps in the last little bit of throttle? Also, the instructions suggest low timing but the motors sounded like they were missing a beat so i programmed mid timing which settled them down but now they miss at one point around half throttle. After i pass by that position they settle down and smooth out. Drawing the amps they are, i don't even want to try high timing.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Silver182

In my stock SU-34 I'm now using a Rhino 3700ma pack 20c pack. A four minute flight uses up about 3600ma, but that's with the stock motors. The 3700ma Rhino pack just fits in the battery box.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:24 PM
ftjets

I guess i must have been dreaming or something because i re-tested the motors and they are drawing right around 60 amps individually. I suppose that would answer the question about drawing 100amps total. I did get rid of the miss in the motors at half throttle. HM suggests low timing but the miss/vibration that occurs at low throttle with low timing and mid throttle with mid timing has dissapeared after re-programing with high timing. Both motors spin up very smoothly with no hesitation or vibration with the ESCs set to high timing. Of course, the amps bumped up to around 104-105. Again, it is only at the last bit of throttle. At half throttle, they are drawing around 40-45 amps which is great and slowly progress to around 65 until i hit that last peice of stick and then they shoot up to 100+ amps. They sound good though. Tuesday is the day weather permitting. It will either scream or burn up. I won't be stupid enough to say that it will not go to full throttle during the maiden. If anyone else can resist the temptation my hat is off to you but at some point i'm going WOT and see what this thing will do. By the way, how do you put out a LiPo fire? [X(]
Old 12-22-2009, 09:45 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

I maidened my stock bluebird last weekend and I have to say this is one of the best building and flying out of the box planes I have ever had. FUN! Can't believe how this thing lands.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:17 AM
James_Fairweather

Need some help here. I just received the new 360 vectored unit, but I'm not understanding how to connect it to the 7-channel receiver because there are three servo plugs for the vectored thrust servos, but there are only twoports on the receiver available for them. The manual doesn't mention how to connect the three servos. Maybe I'm supposed to use a y-harness somewhere? Anyone have one of the 360 versions connected to a 7-channel receiver?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:40 AM
ftjets

I did maiden the new SU-34 on tuesday. I've been pretty busy and forgot to report. Here is the video. [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6zghJgom-4&feature=channel[/link] It was faster than stock but i kept the throttle down for the first couple of flights. I'll open it up the next time. There was one act of stupidity but i'll have to report on that later as i have to leave for an all day trip shortly.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:57 PM
jimmymac52
My Feedback: (4)

Manfred,
I think you need to plug vector 1 (right) into aux 1 or your next open aux channel, and vector 2 into aux 2. Vector 3 is connected to a Y with the steering servo and plugged into the rudder. Vector 3 is the servo located between the vectors. Everything on mine works great. Waiting to give it the maiden.
ORIGINAL: James_Fairweather

Need some help here. I just received the new 360 vectored unit, but I'm not understanding how to connect it to the 7-channel receiver because there are three servo plugs for the vectored thrust servos, but there are only two ports on the receiver available for them. The manual doesn't mention how to connect the three servos. Maybe I'm supposed to use a y-harness somewhere? Anyone have one of the 360 versions connected to a 7-channel receiver?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:02 PM
jimmymac52
My Feedback: (4)

sorry, i meant james. D'oh!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:02 AM
James_Fairweather

Thanks for that information, it sounds reasonable to connect vector 3 to the rudder channel. Did you deduce that on your own, or are there instructions from Hobby Lobby for that?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:37 AM
James_Fairweather

Never mind, I see from another look at the manual that the rudder input is supposed to move the vectored thrust nozzles along the horizontal axis, no mixing with other channels is required.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Rugs

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you who have been unfortunate enough to crash your H.L. SU-34 or F-35 beyond repair, I need another Battery Box for an SU-34 project I'm working on (need two battery bays), would be much easier than fabbing one from scratch.

Be willing to pay $10.00 plus shipping...Thanks

-Rick
Old 01-10-2010, 05:38 AM
ftjets

The 60mm HM fans didn't blow my skirt up. It's a good thing i ordered two spare mighty mite motors because i have used both of them due to defects in the factory mounted ones. I decided that i would try something else so i used the stock 64mm SU-34 fans and installed the HM motors in them. The power appears to be much greater but that is on the ground. As soon as the global warming thing settles down and the temperature gets above freezing here in south Florida i will test fly it. I am now up to 118 amps at WOT. While i had the 60mm HM fans installed, the maiden went fairly well but i was not impressed with the speed. The second flight suffered a left engine flame out which resulted in a beautiful slow flat spin all the way to the ground. I wish i could do that on purpose. I lowered the landing gear before hitting and gear damage was all i had. With the gear fixed, the third flight resulted in a total flame out which again only resulted in gear damage and broken wingtip missile mounts. I then reset the cutoff parameters in the controllers and the next flight went well but again, this whole experiment was a wash. I hope that the current setup will add some fun to the project. If i keep playing with it Rugs sooner or later i should have a spare battery box and you would be welcome to it. I have come to the conclusion that these foamies do not posess the performance that i am looking for and trying to achieve it is futile. I think i will move on to the next level of EDF jets (composite airframes) and configure my own power system from scratch. But hey, it was fun and i learned a few things so what the heck. I'll keep flying it until it is no longer flyable and may come up with some nice looking maneuvers because when you get to the point where it really doesn't matter if it crashes or not, you tend to take more chances and push it to the limit. Then again, that may inspire me to get another one. Who knows.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:58 PM
ftjets

I did get to fly with the stock 64mm fans and HM mighty mite motors. It seemed to scoot along pretty well until i blew a fan blade. I was able to land safely this time. Next will be an attempt on three cells if i could only get new blades. It appears that the Chinese new year will hamper that as they are on back order until february. Any one have extras they want to sell? I'll be glad to pay a reasonable amount plus shipping. I have no desire to replace the fans again or spend any more money on this and hope that 3 cells will bring down the rpm's enough to keep it flying. We will see. I am now officially a born again nitro fanatic! This can get embarrasing after awhile. [&o]
Old 01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
RadarController

Just bought this in the kit formation. I plan on putting in two 70mm fan units that draw 56-60amps per engine.
Am I safe by saying I need to get two 60-75amp speed controllers? Any other suggestions for you guys who have had this?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Juan Garcia
My Feedback: (7)

60 Amp. is a lot.
You will get your battery very hot.
I have'nt try yet but stock motors with 70mm fans might work fine.

Juan.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM
ftjets

ORIGINAL: RadarController

Just bought this in the kit formation. I plan on putting in two 70mm fan units that draw 56-60amps per engine.
Am I safe by saying I need to get two 60-75amp speed controllers? Any other suggestions for you guys who have had this?
While i think i printed some wrong info somewhere concerning amps per motor, mine actually pulled over 60 amps each at WOT for a total of about 120 amps battery draw. The 60 amp ESC's handled the draw from each motor but the battery couldn't handle the total draw very well. The only battery that would handle it was a TP 3300mah 30C which is about the largest you can drop in without making it way nose heavy and didn't last very long on airtime. A 4000mah 20C didn't work very well either. So, the biggest issue i can advise you of is having a battery large enough to handle the draw without putting the plane way out of balance. I am running on four cells by the way.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:18 PM
ftjets

ORIGINAL: Juan Garcia

60 Amp. is a lot.
You will get your battery very hot.
I have'nt try yet but stock motors with 70mm fans might work fine.

Juan.
I think Juan might have a good idea there. I went for the high performance motors and had nothing but trouble trying to get them to work. I would consider Juans suggestion if you want to try to bump up the performance a bit. They will draw a bit more on the larger fans but not enough to cause all the headaches i went through.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 PM
RadarController

These are the motors I planned on getting:

http://parkrcmodels.com/product_info...roducts_id=272
Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 PM
ftjets

I don't know about those Radar, they claim 3.3 pounds thrust each. You are putting two in a three pound foam airframe. If they work, it will be a short flight for sure if the wings stay together. Battery Required: 14.8V 4S 2500mah or higher Li-Polymer i am sure pertains to one motor. I had to really coax a 4000 20C into the battery box and it wouldn't handle my setup. But then again, i didn't listen to these guys and decided to experiment anyway. I guess that's part of the hobby. Do your research before laying out the cash. I didn't have the results i was hoping for but i learned a lot about EDF's and electrics in general. Basically, i learned that i am going back to nitro!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM
RadarController

I really don't think the wings will rip off. Lol. I would only use the juice for passes. I know what you're saying though. 2500mah or higher, but you're using one 14.8v 3000mah batt for TWO motors. Honestly I only want 4 minutes of total flight time. 3 minutes of various throttle transitioning followed by 1 minute of slow passes then landing. Check out this video.. This guy has a 4900mah batt, x2 65amp ESC's and two 35amp 3000kv motors in his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT2X-...eature=related

This guy put a rate reducer on his LG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h2xB...eature=related
Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Juan Garcia
My Feedback: (7)

I beleive is too much power for single battery and two 55 Amp. motors, Radar.
I think you may blow your battery.
Be carefull. please.
Xviper experiments are good. Teaches us a lot.
Study them whenever you can.

Juan.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 PM
hotpod

I posted an in-flight on board video of my SU 34 launching, flying then crashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9RB9VaSjvw
Old 03-04-2010, 03:30 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice video, high quality image.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:19 PM
kirk.lara

Nice video.

Look at mine at http://www.youtube.com/watch#!videos=D_GEnw5eqDE&v=XwAArrP-syY.

There I mixed some sequences from the maiden and second flights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.