Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

new to flying

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:53 PM
nickdavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to flying

ok as the the subject say im new to flying. i just picked up a crazy max park flyer from a guy for 45 dollars it has a motor three servos with it also has a motor control a wattage IC-15 the motor i have no clue what it is all i can make out on it is made in china which doensnt tell much. also has a cirrus mrx-4 single 4 channel micro reciever says it is a negative shift that will work with a futaba or hitec radio. just needed a battery and a radio which i have both of battery i a hangar 9 areo pack 700 mah. and the radio is a futaba t6exhp which i bought a few tyears ago when i wanted to get into flyin and i recieved a plane broken in the mail and never reordered a new one.

i charged averythign up and plugged in and made sure things worked. i got all of my servos to work that came with the radio. when i plugged them in the reciever that came with the plane it didnt work witch is not a big deal i can swap out servos or should be able to anyway. but the motor wont start spin or anything.

so what am i doing wrong if anything what would be the best type of motor to get for this plane as a beginer or should i just get a new plane from a hobby shop and start from scratch with fresh things?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: new to flying

Make sure your throttle trim is ALL the way down, and the throttle stick is all the way down. Speed controllers need to see "zero throttle" to arm.

You might need to adjust your throttle endpoints (if it's a computer radio - my 6EX was) to 0 or -150 or something. Once you get more comfortable, the "right" way to do this is with the plane on and everything zeroed, slowly decrease the end point until the ESC arms, and go one more click.

My experience was with a "real" trainer and starting with a club. I wouldn't have it any other way. However my uncle got me inspired to start the hobby, he started on his own with trainers in a park.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 AM
AltaTed

I suggest finding someone with experiance flying model electric planes to check all your things over well and hep you learn to fly also. Do you have a simulator so you can get experiance and practice. Thats a very important part of flying that even experienced  flyers use to stay sharp.

You really need  helpers to work with you getting started at least until you solo. Half the fun of this hobby is being out with others. I finally found my Friends" and even though they are 25 miles from me I have their support and thats priceless.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:19 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I presume this was a used plane.  

If you know what you are doing, buying used can be a good way to pick up bargains.  If you are new, this can be a bad move. 

Everyone has their opinions, but I generally suggest new pilots start wtih RTF aircraft and a simulator. 

The sim help you learn how to operate the controls and gives you a chance to develope some hand eye coordination with the sticks.

An RTF, a quality RTF like a HobyZone Super Cub, a Multiplex Easy Star, a Parkzone Radian, gives you some level of confidence that stuff should work.  If you have a problem you can go back the mfg for help.

I always suggest that new pilots buy from a local hobby store if possible.  Typically they will help you with problems because they want you to keep coming back to buy more.

Fixing used planes is a poor first experience if you have any problems, and you will tend to learn little and give up in frustration.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto what everyone else told you, Don't try and go it alone.

Note. If the receiver crystal doesn't match the transmitter crystal nothing is going to work.
More then likely the original owner ran the plane on a different frequency channel then your transmitter is on.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:08 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Ditto what everyone else told you, Don't try and go it alone.

Note. If the receiver crystal doesn't match the transmitter crystal nothing is going to work.
More then likely the original owner ran the plane on a different frequency channel then your transmitter is on.
Great catch, if that is the issue!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:26 AM
aeajr

How are you doing with your flying?  Success?