Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Another Superstar Select EP question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Another Superstar Select EP question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 02:46 AM
auto5man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Superstar Select EP question

Hi All,

I have a more or less new, but secondhand crashed once SS Select EP...the only damage is to the firewall. It got damaged from the battery slamming forward into it on impact. It's pretty much toast and I have removed it and made another one from birch ply. Question is...what keeps the battery from shifting forward? ( the way it is now the battery could shift forward during a dive and slam into the firewall again during flight) The forward part of the battery is 1 1/2 inches from the firewall bulkhead and there is nothing to keep the battery from shifting forward. I'm assuming that the battery should be pretty much rigidly held in its spot without being able to shift forward or aft. Am I wrong?? (is it SUPPOSED to be able to shift to adjust CG?)

The manual doesn't address installation of the battery....saying something like ..."now at this point the battery, wing, etc should all be installed" and that is the only mention of battery installation. If the battery is supposed to be rigidly in place...I'll just glue in a piece of balsa to act as a stop, but I didn't want to do this before having a better understanding of how the battery should be sitting in the compartment. I can take pictures to illustrate if my explanation doesn't make sense...

Thanks,

auto5man
Old 03-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Another Superstar Select EP question

You should be able to slide the battery fore and aft to adjust the CG. Once you've established the proper CG, then the only time the battery would need to slide around is if you got a completely diffferent battery.

I'll tell you right now, gluing a balsa stop in isn't going to slow the battery down in a hard landing. It'll tear right through and take out the firewall again.

IMHO, the answer is foam rubber. Once you get the battery positioned, cut a block of foam to act as a bumper in front of the battery. That will absorb much of any impact, and keep the battery from sliding forward.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:33 AM
BCB

ORIGINAL: auto5man

Hi All,

I have a more or less new, but secondhand crashed once SS Select EP...the only damage is to the firewall. It got damaged from the battery slamming forward into it on impact. It's pretty much toast and I have removed it and made another one from birch ply. Question is...what keeps the battery from shifting forward? ( the way it is now the battery could shift forward during a dive and slam into the firewall again during flight) The forward part of the battery is 1 1/2 inches from the firewall bulkhead and there is nothing to keep the battery from shifting forward. I'm assuming that the battery should be pretty much rigidly held in its spot without being able to shift forward or aft. Am I wrong?? (is it SUPPOSED to be able to shift to adjust CG?)

The manual doesn't address installation of the battery....saying something like ..."now at this point the battery, wing, etc should all be installed" and that is the only mention of battery installation. If the battery is supposed to be rigidly in place...I'll just glue in a piece of balsa to act as a stop, but I didn't want to do this before having a better understanding of how the battery should be sitting in the compartment. I can take pictures to illustrate if my explanation doesn't make sense...

Thanks,

auto5man
Here's what I did with mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40404.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	112749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89475.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	112750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91182.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	112751  
Old 03-18-2004, 12:39 PM
auto5man

Thanks for the input guys! That gives me some ideas...

auto5man