Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

TX Recommendations wanted

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

TX Recommendations wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 10:02 AM
spaz4plastik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX Recommendations wanted

I am shopping for a 6 channel TX and would like some help. Any recommendations or web sites to research???
Old 10-06-2004, 11:22 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TX Recommendations wanted

If you're going to bother getting a 6 channel radio, I recommend skipping the analog sets, and get a computer radio. Here are a few options:

Futaba 6EXA
JR XP6102
Airtronics RD6000
Hitec Optic 6 (not yet available, but promising)

I don't really think you can go wrong with any of those. [link=http://www.servocity.com]Servo City[/link] is likely to have the best price on hitec and futaba stuff, and you would need to find a horizon hobby dealer (or order direct) for the jr and airtronics.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:25 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Futaba 6EXA, that is what I have and I would not trade it for another. Great radio and the 6 plane memory is a plus.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Kickflipkid687

I got my Hitec flash 4 off servocity for awsome price! Its a great radio with alot of features for the price. I maybe should have gotten a 5 channel so then i could have seperate aileron servos, but.. maybe I will upgrade later on. I would get either a Hitec or Futaba radio if i was you.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Hatty

Anything from Hitec or Futaba will be a great choice. Both are great companies and I have not had one problem from their products.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Mikerjf

If you want a radio that will cover all the bases for quite a while the 6XAS (or something with similar functions)is the bare minimum. It has dual rates on 3 channels and can be programmed for helis. The 6XAS is at its limits with a 3D setup (just covers it), the 6EXA will not get you that far.

Mike
Old 10-07-2004, 08:52 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, for a few bucks more, you could have a 7 channel radio. Hitec's Eclipse 7 is an excellent radio (I have had one for a year and think it's the best thing since sliced bread), and users of the Futaba 7C I've spoken to are very happy with that as well. Not to knock the 6X, but several heli pilots in my club had them and ditched them because of their difficulty in programming--the 7C is supposedly much better.

It looks like Futaba has shifted enough sales from the 6X series to the 7C and 6EXA that the 6X is dropping out--I can't find it listed at Tower or Servocity anymore.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:30 AM
IRONfistedFLYER

I am a semi-newby... and since this forum is here I thought I'd add my question to it... many moons ago I purchased a full Glo powered heli setup... heli engine radio gyro and the works... never even fired the thing up... was too chicken to try on my own and couldn't find anyone in my area that could help me... anyways... I'm looking at getting into electric planes... and possibly one day getting into 3D (to fulfill my "heli" needs)... my question is this... can I use the 7ch JR radio that I purchased with my heli on a plane? and if so will I be operating the neighbor's blender while doing so? would really apreciate any help.... thanx
Old 10-07-2004, 10:41 AM
3dandpatternflyer

ive heard the Futaba 6 exa or sumthing like that has no EXPO. So if u fly 3D, Id recommend a Hitec Eclipse 7

TTYL,
Andrew T.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:35 AM
lwien

ORIGINAL: 3dandpatternflyer

ive heard the Futaba 6 exa or sumthing like that has no EXPO. So if u fly 3D, Id recommend a Hitec Eclipse 7

TTYL,
Andrew T.
WRONG....!! The Futaba 6EXA HAS expo's.

Ya know what irks me. Many beginners such as myself come onto these sites looking for valid information to help with our search for the correct gear or just general information. It's important that if we are going to post up and give out advice, that we do the necessary research to find out if the information that we are giving out is accurate.................It took me 2 minutes to go to the Futaba site and see if the 6exa had expos...................Don't post up heresay and rumors. Post up facts.............ESPECIALLY if you're giving out advice.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:21 PM
3dandpatternflyer

LoL LoL LoL LoL

I was thinking of the Futaba T6xa LoL

TTYL,
Andrew T.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:52 AM
lwien

WRONG AGAIN.......

The 6xas ALSO has expo's................!!

You may think it funny that you're passing out bogus information like this, but if you were a newbie coming in here looking for advice, I don't think you would find it one bit funny.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Mikerjf

6XA's no longer available and it's worse than the 6EXA (2 channel DR, no expo, 3 model memory). Apparently Futaba's pulling the same stunt that they did with the 6X's. 6XA was released and was followed shortly by the much improved 6XAS. 6EXA hasn't been around very long and Tower's listing the new 6EXAS.

Mike
Old 10-08-2004, 10:03 AM
spaz4plastik

I have been looking at the Hitech and Futaba models closer...
Futaba seems to have a bigger presence in the industry but Hitech prices are a skosh better. Would the Hitech connect to a futaba for training? I dont think I will use it. I could be wrong since my ultimate goal is to build a Hangar 9 Corsair and my experience so far has been hobby zone products. I have shredded and treed a few planes, God help me if I have to visit my prize rig every day for 2 weeks while it hangs 80 ft in a tree!!! It was hard enough when it was my ABX.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Mikerjf

HiTec and Futaba are compatible for training. Neither has tree avoidance.

Mike
Old 10-08-2004, 09:18 PM
IRONfistedFLYER

wonder how hard that would be.... hhhmmm[>:]..... take the "radar unit" out of the back of the cadilac... some heavy duty USB cable to wire it to my PC... a little C++ programming.... dump it all into an airplane... and whala... the first "anything avoidance" model plane
Old 10-11-2004, 09:25 AM
spaz4plastik

Tree Avoidance?!?! I wish!!! I understand the attraction the plane has to hard horizontal surfaces, but what is that sucking noise I hear when I get to close to a tree???[X(]
Old 10-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

spaz. I would also recomend the 7C, its a great radio and great price. Even if you dont need the extra channel it has a lot of really good features. Super easy to program.

Answering an earlier question. All your Hitec stuff will plug into the Futaba Rx and extensions. In order to use your Futaba servos with a Hitec Rx or extension you will just have to cut off a little tab. Its super easy.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:50 PM
spaz4plastik

I see that the Hitec Optic 6 is available now. Has anybody heard anything about this yet?
Old 12-11-2004, 02:30 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

futaba 6EXA certainly has expos's and you need them particulary if your thinking 3D..I upgraded my old futaba 6 with the computer and I am now one of those that wouldnt dream of ever going back to non computer radios..I suspect hitec and jr 6's are extremely user friendly but at least get a 6..I own the 9cap and love it..both radios can fly more planes than I own or carry to the field..I use nimh batteries too as the programming etc eats your nicads and besides you get much more time and for me that means piece of mind when flying all day..