Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

need help to find a good first time plane

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

need help to find a good first time plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:45 PM
RC_kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help to find a good first time plane

I am not a new pilot but need help on finding a good plane for my friend. he has never flown before and needs a plane.
this is what he needs the plane to have.

1. to be not much more then $200

2. not to be a toy like air hogs

3. to have at least 3 channels and not be controlled by the motors changing speeds

4. to be able to fly at a park no bigger then a base ball field

5. be easy to repair and last him a while

6. it can not be glow or gas only E-powerd

Thanks for your help
Old 02-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Alliot

Default RE: need help to find a good first time plane

RC Kid> First of all, tell your friend that R/C planes are not toys. The concept of flying an R/C plane is similar to that of flying a full-scale. Many newcomers still ignore this concept and give up the hobby after their first attempt. The point is that you need to know some basic aerodynamics in order to fly and control a model airplane in the air, but it isn't like throwing a tennis ball.
I recommend your friend to start with the following models:

GWS Slow Stick (easy, but flight instruction is recommended for the first flight)

Aerobird by Hobbyzone (flight instruction is required; the plane can't turn well at slow speed)

T-Hawk (very good, but instruction may be required)

Firebird Outlaw (very easy, no instruction is required but you may loose it quickly!!) This twin-motor aircraft has a good reputation compared to others twin-motor flying toys for the same cost.

I vote for the T-Hawk and slow stick
Old 02-02-2005, 06:54 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Go to AHC in North Bergen, NJ waving your money in the air and blindly follow the advice they give.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:34 PM
RC_kid

Thanks. you were a big help. I think he will like the T-Hawk best.

Will
Old 02-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Rat1

ParkZone has some nice models that will fit the needs quite nicely. If he wants to spend some more then I suggest getting a economy transmitter sush as hitec flash 4 X or something similar then then check out Mountain Models . com and take a look at the Magpie. Shoot them an email also on the Magpie because I know they were going to offer and more complete kit including radio system, batteries, and a charger also for I think it was around 260.00. This would include a hitec 4 channel radio and receiver along with GWS naro servos to control the model.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:22 PM
svt3640

Try out the parkzone j-3 cub. it was my trainer and it was perfect for me

Incredibly durable for those beginner nosedives under full power and flies well and easy to control.

I highly reccomend this plane.
also it comes ready to fly all you need to do is charge the battery with the included charger and go.

Joel
Old 02-09-2005, 12:23 AM
tclaridge

I have trained a lot of folks, and I like the Hobbyzone Challenger. Flys good, and offers pro mode when you get better. You can also buy modules for combat and dropping stuff like chutes. I reco getting someone to help with your first three flights. If not, fly a nice square pattern like the outline of a football field. Climb at full throttle to 100 ft after hand launch. Fly 8 mins at half throttle, then drop in for a gliding landing. Then do your square in the opposite direction. After a few flights, you'll be a pro.

The biggest reason for crashes has been flying in wind, and the control reversal when flying toward you. Practice on a sim like FMS is recommended. Don't fly if the wind is more than 5 mph until you get better.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:09 PM
basher25

have any of u tried the watt-age micro flyer? it looks fun for indoors to just cruise around, just wondering if any1 knows anything about it.