Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BIG

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BIG

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:49 PM
sputnikxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BIG

I am new to electric flyers.. I am currently working on a slow stick... I got the kit.. still waiting on the rest of the parts to come in the mail.... but my question is I think once I get the hang of flying the slow stick and feel comfortable with flying I am gonna want something bigger... something that wont hurt my wallet... something that is not too advanced...that can be hopped up... I would also like to know can anyone recommend a good trainer simulation ?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BIG

Are you new to flying or just to flying electrics?

At rcgroups, there's a thread about a Slow Stick Speed competition--some got up to 50 mph or more. Is that hopped up enough for you?

If you're new to flying, I'd recommend something like the Estarter as your second plane. It isn't bigger, but it will handle the wind a bit better, is a four channel plane, and it's a good transition to your third plane.

Simulators? Once you're paying around two hundred dollars, they all seem good, but each has it's own strengths. Aerofly Pro Deluxe and Realflight G3 are the two big names right now.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:07 AM
jooNorway

Why not a Magister. A long thread here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2924323/tm.htm

Maybe a BladeXL...? Small throws and it is as kind as a trainer. I have reviewed it, but you propably can`t read the text I think... Take a look at the pictures: http://www.modellflynytt.no/articles.php?articleId=145

I fly both BladeXL and Magister with Hyperion 3025-10, on 3S LiPo it will work in the Magister but I run both on 4S4000... Then I use my Magister as a TUG!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 PM
sputnikxxx

Well as of now Im too broke lol... I outfitted my slow stick with lithium setup... I think for now I am goig to try to find out different ways to hop up my slow stick... the only thing I see so far that I am not gonna like is its limited ablility to fly in high wind...... I also wanted to add I don't want to buy any rtf kits... I want to use arf ... that way I can use the electronics I got
Old 09-23-2006, 04:17 AM
jooNorway

The main problem flying foamies is often the wind, these planes require calm days.
But first of all you should have fun with your Slowstick, try to get a lot of hours in the air. Take care not to fly in too windy conditions and do not try too advanced maneuvers too early! Then the plane might last and you don`t have to buy new stuff too soon!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:44 AM
sputnikxxx

yah... I did a lot of research on the slow stick and found a lot of ways to make it a more solid plane... the ez connectors was one thing I found that helped a lot...
Old 09-27-2006, 07:33 PM
wedgewing

You may want to consider the E-Flite Mini Ultra Stick. It is an ARF made of monokoted balsa and wood. I can tell you from experience it is tough as nails in the long run. It is spec'd for a 450 Park outrunner, but I had placed a 480 on it because I could not find a 450 anywhere. the 480 is not overkill, and I started with a 4 channel set up, no flaps. The plane flies well and if you take time to set it up right is really stable. My first flight I went out to the local soccer fields with my 9 year old son as my instructor (dumb of me). I gave that 480 everything she had and wound up doing some colossal damage to the aircraft, smashing the entire front of the fuselage.

After I stopped feeling sorry, I got out the glue and put it back together and it has flown fantastically as I have repeated the learning cycle enough for the plane to carry a few Newbie scars. I did get instruction and now even fly flat out foamies in the wind.

I liked the Mini Ultra Stick because I was looking for the next plane from the trainer or small backyard flyer. The profile is a top wing and is stable, but it will fly fast, and aerobatics are a reality with it. It is definitely not a trainer, but if you are proficient on the slow stick, you might enjoy moving up to this one.

After about 6 months of flying it, one of my complaints was the landing gear would not stay on (totally the result of my first flight gravity check) so I have kept it off and built a small foam skid.

My chief complaint about this aircraft however, is that it is currently stuck too high in a 70' tree surrounding the lake I fly around. Its wonderful red and white color scheme taunts me through my window every time a good wind storm blows. You can definitely see it from a quarter mile away.... Its solid build has kept it together as it is thrashed by the branches in the wind. I can even see the prop still spinning through a telescope that has been set up by my wife to remind me where that $300 is.

The now offer a plug and play version and this bird may rejoin the fleet once I am able to find someone dumb enough climb the tree and retrieve my maiden aircraft
Old 10-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Cheesehopper

I definately agree with jooNorway. Magister AWESOME! Just shove in brushless is my advice - depends on the size of your club/park. With brushless you can expand how much you can kill an airframe.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Fliprob17

You will have a tough time jumping from a slow stick to a Mini Ultra Stick, two way different worlds, it's like going from a hanglider to an F-16 [:-]. You have to be very alert and on the sticks all the time. Take a look at the E-Flite Cessna 182, or the Hobby Lobby Cessna 182 Aileron Trainer. Two good aileron planes, and you can tone down the Dual Rates, exponentials and end points until you get the hang of it to make it an easier learning experience.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:07 PM
packyj

I can even see the prop still spinning through a telescope that has been set up by my wife to remind me where that $300 is.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:53 PM
flyingace451

Magistar II for the "big" plane rec (if you are completely new to flying in general, not just electric), and Realflight G3 for the simulator.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:38 AM
IWC

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...rch_02Index_01

70 inch wingspan
Old 10-06-2006, 08:40 AM
IWC

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/kadett.htm

63 inch wingspan