Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Looking for advise on first plane.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Looking for advise on first plane.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:30 PM
akm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advise on first plane.

I have been doing some research and both the slow stick and the easy star look good. As for electronics I need some recommendations, for radios I was looking at futaba and spektrum. I am not sure ware to start when it comes to the esc and batteries. I have been into cars for many years now and flying my 4yo sons air hogs plane got me real interested in flying. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Looking for advise on first plane.

I would go with Futaba for the radio, like a 6EX-PCM, it is a six channel system that will give you lots of room to expand down the road. It can hold up to 8 different models in memory, so you can use only the one TX for up to eight different planes. I would go with the Easy Star, it is a glider and will be a much better learning experience. You will have longer flight times and with the bigger wingspan it will be easier to keep it in the air. Batteries, I would look at Thunder Power for LiPo's, nothing really competes with them, and for an ESC take a look at E-Flite.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:13 PM
billz

akm,

I started with the T-Hawk from readytoflyfun.com and really liked it as a first plane. It can soar like the easy star but is also a bit more nimble when you are ready for it to be. It can be hand launched and landed in the grass, or you can use the snap-in landing gear for rolling take-offs and landings. It is a solid 3 channel plane.

Bill Z.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:00 PM
e-flight22

hey billz where do you fly at?? I live in the twin cities and fly at the saint paul r/c club good to see other minnesota flyers on here!

as for a trainer to recommend id suggest something with around a 60" wingspan like the Sig Kadet, i think they make an electric version. do you want to build a kit or would you like a ARF (almost rdy to fly) or RTF (rdy to fly)? all of these are great options it really depends what you want to do. I learned on an Avistar ARF trainer but its glow. not sure what others thing of the zagi 400x as a possible beginner plane, but they are very durable. I'd try to get one thats a balsa/wood built up plane instead of epp foam. that way if you have a bad landing your plane wont be totalled, with balsa you can fix it up if its not to bad, were with foam it just gets a big dent or piece breaks off.

ive bought my batterys from www.cheapbatterypacks.com the lithium polymer poly/rc ones rated at 20c work great! for esc's id go with castle creations, ive had rly good luck with them and they can be programmed using a usb connector to your computer, much easier than having to work with the radio controls to program it instead. make sure for the charger if you go into lipoly that you get a rly good charger, dont buy a junky one cuz having a $100 pack blowing up sucks.... i use the astroflight 110d or its the 112d one of those.. its the silverish/gray colored one with green writing on it. if you dont want to go into lithium you can always get nicad or nimh they both work great as well. depends on how much money you want to spend. for sure id def. recommend getting a safe or something to store your lithium packs in if you are going that direction, i bought one at walmart for $40.00 it works great and is fireproof, make sure its fireproof safe

both of the planes you suggested would both be great options. ive seen the slow stick fly before and its a great plane. havent seen the easy star fly or at least i dont think i have, haha

hope this information helps somewhat, its alot to take in, i know
im getting started in helicopters and im learning all over again:P

Good luck with your decisions and if you need anymore help feel free to ask.

David
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
sputnikxxx

im new myself... I just got a SS and I love it... the Slow Stick... is cheap but depending on what kind of setup you want to do it can get expensive quick... I went with Lipo setup on mine.. and from buying the slow stick and everything needed to get it together and up in the air ran me about 300.00 but I went with lipo...if you dont feel like putting together a bunch of parts.... and just want something you can get up in the air quick... I would go with a RTF kit... you wont have as much option with it as you would with a arf kit..... but if your like me and enjoy building things yourself the ARF kits are great.....
Old 10-05-2006, 09:23 PM
akm

well I bought a slow stick and built it last weekend, the only problem I had was the vertical stabalizer tilts to the left will this effect the wat it flyes? All I need now is a radio. I keep looking at the spektrum (I have a spektrum dx3 for two of my cars and love it) I would like a radio I can grow with, plus I like the no glitching and no crystals that the specktrum offers. The other radio I was looking at is the futaba 4yf $100 with a 10 rebate, the only problem is no room to grow with this radio. Does anyone have any experience with the spectrum? Can any one tell me why I should go with a conventional radio over the spektrum? O'ya one other nobie question, does the rudder go on the left stick or the right stick?
Old 10-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Leo L

In the USA, the standard mode places the primary steering control on the right stick. In the case of a 3-channel plane, the only method of steering is on the right stick.