Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Using a WD4 transmitter for what other planes?????

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Using a WD4 transmitter for what other planes?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:53 PM
coloradoair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a WD4 transmitter for what other planes?????

I'm flying a firebird phantom right now. I'm thinking of getting a Wing Dragon 4 as an aileron trainer. I dont yet understand all there is to know about all the parts. Can I use the transmiter from that plane in another ARF plane. If so what planes and do I need to switch out the receiver and servos or are there planes that come with those ready to go just needing a radio??

thanks for the help!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM
3DSAVAGE

Default RE: Using a WD4 transmitter for what other planes?????

here are all the electronic pats in a normal plane
3-4 servos
an esc
a motor
a reciever w/ a chrystal
the radio you control it with
and a battery

now on to your problem. you can use one plane's radio in another on if it is a 72 megahertz one. the reason for this is because this is the normal recognized airbourne frequncy. you can use a 3 channel or higher radio in more than 1 plane, i have 3 planes on my j-line 4ch. also rtf(ready to fly) planes include all you'll need in it. but i don't like most of them because a lot of the time they willl be total crap(parkzone and hobbyzone are exceptions, they are very good, except the servos on the 3d planes). and also, i have heard good things about these wing dragons, but if you want something that looks a little better, get a gws e starter(BEST TRAINER EVER!!!).
Old 12-09-2007, 04:48 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First a tip on posting. It is usually best to provide a link to the plane you are asking about so there is no confusion. Some planes come in many configurations and there may be more than one plane by a particular name, such as Tiger Moth or Super Cub. There are at least 30 planes with those names.

Anyway, is this the plane in questions?
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon4.htm

This package comes with a 4 channel 72 MHz radio. Some packages come with 27 MHz radios.

You can use this one to fly other planes. Basically you can fly any 4 channel plane. There are hundreds to choose from.

For the new plane you will need a receiver, servos, ESC ( if it has an electric motor) and a battery.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Sir Raleigh

Just to help this thread along a bit I'll tell what I'm doing with my Wing Dragon 4 transmitter.

I'm building a Slow Stick.
I've bought the Slow Stick Slope Glider version.
Bought a BL motor/ESC combo.
Bought 2 servos.
And Bought a receiver on the same channel as my WD4 transmitter.

Now I'll have 2 planes on my 1 transmitter.

My Build Log: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784314
Old 12-19-2007, 07:14 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As you build, there are things to take into account.

Since that is a standard radio, no model memories, you will have to reset the radio as you move between planes. You can minimize this by taking into consideration things like servo rotation direction as you build.

Look at your WD set-up. For example, try to get your rudder servo rotation the same as the WD so you don't have to use servo reverse settings that have to be changed between planes. If you have to reset servo directions at the radio as you change planes, sooner or later you will forget and a crash will result.

This is one of the reasons that computer radios are so popular. The settings stay wiht the model. Of course you can forget to change the model profile on a computer radio too. Only Spektrum and JR have overcome that issue.

Try to get your servos centered and your surfaces centered so that your trims are centered for both planes. Otherwise you will have to retrim every time you change planes.

Just some things to think about.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Sir Raleigh

Thanks, Ed.

I have considered those and will do my best to keep from having to flip the servo reverse switches. By looking at the servo arrangement of both the WD4 and the SS, it appears the servo placement (left side for elevator, right side for rudder, and servo arms pointing outboard) will be the same for both planes. I may get away with not having to flip any switches after all.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM
kofi1013

I have a similar issue. I have a Parkzone zx10 transmitter (5 channels) that I use for my T-28. I just built a P47 Thunderbolt ARF. (3channel no rudder) I have two zx10 transmitters both on ch. 19. When building the P47 I used one radio to center the servos. My question is that since both use ch 19 and both planes are warbirds with similar flight characteristics, can I use the same radio for both planes?