Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

moving on to jets

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 11:34 PM
hytek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving on to jets

g'day all,

after many seasons of flying glow prop aircraft, (scale mainly and a little racing) i'm looking to take a step up to the world of jets.
rather than go all out on a DF model (terrerfying thought :stupid: ) i'm thinking about an EDF model.

which poses the question.... where to start?

is there an EDF trainer?
is it possible to install an EDF unit on a glow trainer (say .40)?

cheers
Old 04-19-2003, 12:55 AM
Tippie

Seems to be a lot of interest in a GWS A-10 Wart Hog. Has twin ducted fans on it. Foam construction. Since you have flying experience the transision should be fairly easy. Just remember you need to keep speed up to maintain control. No prop wash over the control surfaces. Dead stick landings could be a little hairy unless you have a rapid decent (or it will result in rapid decent) and takeoffs will lack good directional control until you build up a little speed. You might do a search in the forum for the GWS model and see if you can learn a little more about it or look for some reviews on ezone for the plane.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:10 AM
hytek

thanks for your speedy reply
i've been having a bit of a look at the GWS A10 and i like what i see
however, for my first model of this type a twin seems a bit expensive and complicated, while it's not too much of a problem i'm really looking for something slow and VERY easy to learn on.
i'm assuming the A10 is a pretty fast ship?
do you know of a relatively slow flyer, preferably single engine?
Old 04-19-2003, 06:46 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Since you're already used to glow models and their speed, you might also consider the Kyosho FV-1000.

fwiw the A10 is a VERY slow flyer - I'd describe it more along the lines of floating around the sky and being pushed along once in a while with the EDF's. It's extremely easy to fly around dead stick as it really stays up there.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:51 AM
hytek

ok, i've had a bit of a read adound
i'm impressed

before i head down to the hobby shop could i ask do the fans, motors, batt. etc. come with the kit of the A10 so i just have to assemble it, or will i need to by all this stuff?

thank-you so much for your assistance
Old 04-19-2003, 05:10 PM
Tippie

Go to the GWS web site for the A-10:
www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/a10.htm For the info on the A-10 It is an ARF kit so there is not much assembly, again do a search and check to see if anyone has experienced any problems with the model. For all GWS products go to: www.gws.com.tw/english/english.htm
I haven't bought one myself but it appears that you get the two ducted fan power units and the airplane. Servos, radio system, batteries, esc are not included. Check the web site for the recommended components, but be informed they will list the component products that they sell/make and you can substitute for equal.