Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Apprentice 15e Nose wheel steering

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Apprentice 15e Nose wheel steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM
jarih

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apprentice 15e Nose wheel steering

One my hard landings my nose wheel steering came out, it is the pastic assmebly that is used for steering, does not appear it is broken but how can I get it back in, what options do i have

Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 AM
phillipmorris

Default RE: Apprentice 15e Nose wheel steering

Should be able to simply epoxy it back in, but a pic of the damages others might give better info for you...

I was going thru the same delema on landings with the 4 channel and expecially low wings, I can deadstick in a Super Cub and do touch and goes, but some reason the other models gave me some issues...

Ended up recently with the Hanger 9 T34 Mentor tho a warbird has these progressive settings with flaps and droops it simply refuses to drop a wing and even if I flare early it keeps flying to an increadible landing even in the grass, Im still ecstatic with this one, but prefer you have some prior low wing experience, with outside help read threads where clubs had newbies maiden with this one tho with buddy box etc to get the feel for flight, its been a winner for me...Trust me this one flys, large bird, tho balsa, has a tuffer nose wheel than other planes, yes alot more durable nose wheel than even the Apprentice, tho you can certainly damage the front end hitting example a post overshooting the runwy, etc, but no excuses here, this puppie lands beautifully right side up in the grass, take advantage of that on your maidens !

I had many flights with the Apprentice, its a nice larger ship, but I eventually had the same delema flying w/winds and my poor landing skill...just takes practice....

You may need some filler as pieces of foam to correctly fix your nose gear, again others likely have more info for you...hang in there..BEST ....
Old 10-23-2009, 08:16 AM
jarih

Thanks for the Tips, What I ended up doing was cutting the edges of the steering arm where the nsoe gear is inserted, seince the steering arm was originally installed from the back
you would need to remove the entire firewall to get it back in, with the edges trimed I sliped it in from the front, also I installed a larger and tougher nose gear since the original one is quite fragile also added 3 inch wheels it works on grass
Lets see if it works,

The plane is good and I enjoy the flights, I was actually looking at the T39, I am now thinking of getting the DH2 Eflite , it is a larger 68 inch span model should be fun to fly
Old 10-23-2009, 09:31 AM
phillipmorris

Ok on your fix...good job..adding heavier nose gear and larger wheels is going to be a big plus for you...smart...

My flying partner is still working on his Beaver plane, not sure if its the Eflite model but certainly is huge...has abit invested in it so far, however should fly great...

But I wanta tell you, the Hanger 9 T34 Mentor has been fabulous todate, I'm all smiles.....have to say my first real flyer...

Other favoreds todate:

Super Cub, Trainer, later night flights
FlyForFun jet pusher, two batteries for slower and fast, a hummer
Radian Glider, awsome 1 hour flights brushless motor
Hanger 9 T34 Mentor, recent addition, lands like an airliner w/progrssive settings, flaps, droops, loving it..
Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 AM
jarih

Thanks, I think it is the beaver, let me know how it comes out ,
I will look into T34
Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
robtest

I broke my front nose plastic assembly at the fireway. Ended up taking a dremel tool to it and then epoxying on a bigger set of gear. Since the steel rod used in that was so thick, Ihad to go with 3" gear. It is a little heavier, but this thing is good in grass now.

I have banged up this little frankenstein plane a bunch, but it taught me how to fly. I am now mostly flying a t-28...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71744.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1316469