Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Garolite G-10 substitute??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garolite G-10 substitute??

Has anyone found a good, (and cheap) substitute for G-10 epoxy board? I need to make several manifolds for Poulans and Stihls, and McMaster Carr wants 65 bucks for a 12" x 12" piece! Too expensive for this poor boy....

AV8TOR
Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 AM
R. C. Day
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Garolite G-10 substitute??

I bought a white plastic cutting board to try, but haven't tried it yet.

R.C.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Scota4570

I too have used plastic. Cutting boards look promising. My stash is unknown plastic of various thicknesses. None has melted or given me any trouble. Perhaps a plastics shop would sell or give you some scraps? I have also used aluminum with only thick gaskets to act as insulators. That worked too and did not cause the gas in the carb to boil. Mostly I have been using 1/4" phenolic board lately. It has enough thickness and strength to give the carb screws a good bite. I have not noticed any problems in how it runs with the short intake plenum. Maybe try 1/4 or 3/8" aluminum with thick gaskets?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 PM
av8tor1977

I thought of using aluminum, and I have some plastic carb spacers I could use with it for insulation, but I was worried that the carb mounting screws themselves would transfer enough heat to be a problem. That's why all the stock manifold insulators use two bolts to mount the insulator, and two different bolts that attach only to the insulator to attach the carb. It doesn't allow a heat path from the engne to the carb through the mounting screws.

AV8TOR
Old 07-13-2011, 03:43 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Aluminum isulator blocks are used on r/c boat engines with teflon gaskets,between the block and engine and one between the block and carb.Should work on any engine.I don't know if the ones for the Zenoah engines would work,but they all use Walbro carbs. Maybe find a sourse for Teflon gasket material. http://www.cc-racingengines.com/inde...mart&Itemid=53
Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 AM
aero nut

Hi Robert!!! I have heard of people using PLYWOOD then coated with epoxy.
Are you still living in PeƱasco???
Regards
Old 07-19-2011, 04:56 PM
av8tor1977

Yep, still live in Penasco, though I've been spending a lot of time in Tucson this summer. Just herniated another disk in my back, gotta go back to Tucson to deal with that tomorrow in fact. Hope things are going well with you.

AV8TOR