Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Stihl Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stihl Engine

I'm getting a Stihl FS65AV, 20cc trimmer engine that I was going to use for an r/c boat engine ,but it is too small for that, so I thought I'd convert it to use on an r/c airplane.I did a search and found a thread where someone converted one, but he made his own prop hub, which I don't have the machine to do that.It doesn't come with a muffler either so I'd have to find one of those also. Are there any places that sell conversion parts for a Stihl engines. I looked on Wacker Engines site and Carr Precission, but no luck.Will any of the parts made by these sites fit a Stihl ?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:35 PM
rcairboater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stihl Engine

Send that sucker to AV8tor here on the forum. He knows his engines.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a 15cc Stihl weed wacker engine sitting here I was going to convert to use an air prop on it. This one spins clockwise. Its from a FS50E trimmer. I have no idea where I'll get parts, chances are I'll have to have the prop hub custom made. My engine is getting converted to glow ignition as the magneto is mounted to the inside of the fan shroud.

I am going to pull the flywheel off and not use it since I'm going with glow ignition, I wont need the flywheel. I'll just need to get a prop hub made for it and cut the unneeded metal off the crankcase. I'm going to run it CCW, which it should do easily. This engine uses Sub Piston Induction, without a reed block of any kind. The carb on this engine is 6.5mm.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Tidnab

I hope mine isn't mounted on the shroud. I think by the way the pull start is mounted it turns counterclockwise,but I'll see when it comes next week.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tidnab

I hope mine isn't mounted on the shroud. I think by the way the pull start is mounted it turns counterclockwise,but I'll see when it comes next week.
If the magneto is on the shroud, you can get a CDI unit which is better anyway.. Unless you want to run it on gas/glow.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:11 AM
Tauri Flyer

I've done one of these. The mag is mounted in the case so I'd advise going EI with it. You can use a bennett style muffler as they are a good match on the bolt pattern with just a small amount of work. The real problem is the hub. It will have to be custom made. See if someone here is willing to make ya one.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:40 AM
rcairboater

Here is my 27cc stihl AV8tor did for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46919.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1786723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47164.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1786724  
Old 07-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Tidnab

I got the little Stihl engine today and it has FS65AV Electronic on the pull start and the magneto is indeed on the case.I noticed it has three magnets on the flywheel.Is this the norm for all Stihl engines ? It also uses a slant sparkplug,which definatly rules it out for watercooling for r/c boat use,although it can be done,but much more work.On the spec sheet it has it is 19.8 cm3 displacement with a bore of 30mm and a stroke of 28mm. What size engine is it in cc's ? The way it sits in the pic without the red cover it weighs 3lb 5 oz.Would it be worth getting it converted to an airplane engine ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vm83626.pdf (424.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

cm3 is cubic centimeters or cc, so I'd say 19.8cc

Depends on what you want to do with it, boat engines don't "have" to be water cooled, air cooled works great if it's an open top boat... If you converted it to electric ignition or gas/glow it would make a decent candidate for an air prop, once you remove the pull start and related stuff behind it you probably loose about a pound so it would be a respectable weight by then.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:46 AM
rcairboater

ORIGINAL: rcairboater

Here is my 27cc stihl AV8tor did for me.
Mine is for sale by the way. It's listed in the for sale section.