Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

professional home build ignition new update

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

professional home build ignition new update

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: professional home build ignition new update

My electronic ignitions are inside the mount, the spark coil is on the outside like a G62 or G26....the battery wire is a Radio Shack shielded audio cable, no more interference than the stock magneto...
None of my planes has ever needed a shielded cap and wire...The radio is an old FM Proline Custom Comp converted to a MicroPro 8000 with Hitec receivers....
An 850 MA NiMh battery weighs 2 oz, works for about 3 hours....
Way lighter than the stock magneto versions.....
Old 07-29-2006, 09:55 PM
TIGITRIGHT

Do you have a picture of your E.I.unit?
Old 07-29-2006, 11:48 PM
TIGITRIGHT

Anybody looking to build a simple bulletproff Electronic ignition from a kit.Check out this site
http://www.jerry-howell.com/IgnitionModules.html Im going to get one and give it a try.
[sm=thumbup.gif]

I hope this helps out somebody.

Nothing Done Right Takes Too Long,,,,,,,..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47392.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	498888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54495.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	498889  
Old 07-30-2006, 12:47 AM
cochinito77

keep us posted on your progress tigitright, this could be a turning point for us penny pinchers..
Raf-
Old 07-30-2006, 12:20 PM
TIGITRIGHT

Ill be sure to do that cochinito77.Im currently talking to Jerry Howell about using CH SYNCRO SPARK with this unit.This is defently the way to go for saving alot of money,I think we all want to do that [sm=idea.gif].It will be awhile before I get around to it,but im going to try it for sure.This magneto Poulan runs good,but its hard as hell to start by hand,mainly when it's cold.Electric starters barely turn it fast enough(the big hobbico one).Iv been using a cordless power drill.Got the idea from the video on the Brillelli web site for the Poulan with smoke.Later [sm=thumbup.gif]

Nothing Done Right Takes Too Much Time,,,......
Old 07-30-2006, 11:34 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

i have 3 of them built right now.small engines dont need advance.most below 62ccs.you cant use a regular coil,it must be one like chs,roy shcolls,rcign,a chainsaw where the pickup and spark coil are two different items.some echos used this style and zenoah uses these coils today.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:38 PM
TIGITRIGHT

You say you have three ignitions? And advance is great when you have it,increases high rpm performance and power.its nice to have the engine firing about TDC for starting and idol and then advance to around 28-30 BTD in higher rpm's for the power.
Is this the coil your using\|/.

Nothing Done Right Takes Too Much Time,,,...

Name:	Ay73967.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	499840  
Old 07-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Antique

Face it guys, if the TIM circuits would work well in airplanes they would already be doing it..The reason for the cheap price is the lack of any DC to AC converter to work a high voltage transformer...
Unless you're really into tinkering, get a circuit from C&H and save yourself a whole bunch of aggravation....
Fixed timing works very well on all engines under about 50ccs.....Above that the retarded spark for starting is way easier on the hands..
And the syncro spark unit itself costs more than the ignition circuit....Not a lot of saving there...
The EI circuits are putting about 300 volts into the coils, pretty hard to get that without a step up transformer like the dedicated EI circuits have...
I am quite sure TKG can expand on this
Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subject: TM Circuit. I think it would be very easy to get the advance and retard needed with linkage to a ring that holds the pickup sensor. Am I correct on this or not? Thanks Capt,n
Old 08-01-2006, 12:37 AM
TIGITRIGHT

Tim-6 do not use dc>ac converters because there not CDI (capacitor discharge ignitions).They do not use a high voltage discharge to the coil when fired.The Tim-6 is a TDI (transistor discharge ignition),It uses a transistor circuit to charge the coil just before firing.This is why they need to have dwell like a points type ignition.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:18 AM
coralcape

I have been reading that EI engines are easier to start because of retarded timing. It seems to me, since the timing is set at appx. 30deg BTDT and it probably takes a couple of revolutions for the advance ckt to calculate and retard timing, that the engines are actually starting well advanced. Seems logical to me.Is this true? red
Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 AM
hollbrow

I would think that to insure the retarded timing feature at start-up it would by default be retarded, then advance only after reaching a setpoint rpm. That's the way I would set the logic up if I were doing it.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:17 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: TIGITRIGHT

This magneto Poulan runs good,but its hard as hell to start by hand,mainly when it's cold.Electric starters barely turn it fast enough(the big hobbico one).Iv been using a cordless power drill.Got the idea from the video on the Brillelli web site for the Poulan with smoke.Later [sm=thumbup.gif]

Nothing Done Right Takes Too Much Time,,,......
Is it possible to add a compression release for easy starts. Like on the old John Deere Tractors. Capt,n
Old 08-01-2006, 01:26 PM
TIGITRIGHT

Thats how it works,your timing starts at almost TDC,
Old 08-01-2006, 01:30 PM
TIGITRIGHT

I guess that would be possable sense some older large chainsaws had compression release.It was a tiny hole in the cylinder head with a small rod that would slide over it when it was off.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Antique

The compression release on the chainsaws were/are at least 2 different types...The Stlhl was a small valve (exactly like an exhaust valve)..It seats into a small piece that screws into the cylinder head..It had a flat piece of spring steel about 1/2 inch wide riveted at one end into the top of the cylinder. That piece fits into a groove in the valve stem..The spring kept it closed..Pushing down on the end of the spring opened the valve...
The one on Sachs and other engines is almost the same, but with an internal spring and a small button on the end of the valve to push it open..It can be put on any engine by tapping a small hole in the cylinder at or near the top...The one on the Quadra engines works the same but the spring is external...Both of these stay open until the engine fires..The Stihl release will close when pressure is removed from the spring....
All are designed for engines that get cranked faster, the compression from slowly flipping the prop is marginal for starting...
Old 08-01-2006, 11:20 PM
buck1856

i agree on advance but the engines ive converted 40cc and under i set at 24-28 degrees before tdc and they start,run,idle,no kickback ect just fine.its just extra money in my opinion.this way i buy more engines and servos.The pics are a tim6 with a grey coil from roy scholl with a quarter for size comparison.One with a tim6 and a chain saw coil.I have a G-45 with ralphs ign on it with a throttle coupled mechanical advance wich is a screamer.He did the work im sure on the advance unit.i tried the tim6 but couldnt get the magnet to work right yet because my sensor was stationary and not adjustable.when i tried it the sensor clicked on but the plug didnt fire until it was at 45 dgrees btdc or even higher so im still playing.

Name:	Ay75665.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	500456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82048.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	500457  
Old 08-01-2006, 11:58 PM
buck1856

heres pics of a mechanical throttle coupled spark advance with ralphs ign.you can see the pulse switch wire coming out from the mount.on the back of mine theres an aluminum plate wich covers the mount.Nothing can get into the ign,dust,bugs,dirt,ectt.the only way water could get into it would be if you used it for a sub.the rod coming from the throttle moves the ring where you see the helicopter ball linkage.i believe the ring is on a ball bearing race of somekind though im not sure.the sensor pickup is in the other pic in the bottom of ring.magnet is stationary on prop hub.the whole setup is set at tdc when you first set it up.when throttle is advanced it moves the sensor to advance the timing.

Name:	Hf10349.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	500466   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42936.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	500467  
Old 08-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Antique

The ring is pressed on to a 6003 2RS ball bearing..the bearing is pressed on an extension on the back of the hub....
My new lite conversions use a ring pressed on the front of the case and a syncro spark module...No moving parts and slightly lighter without the weight of the bearing....
Old 08-02-2006, 08:20 AM
captinjohn

RCIGN: You sure do nice work! How do you get that nice swirl pattern on the end of hub to hold prop in place? Thanks Capt.n
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 AM
captinjohn

Buck1856: How high of RPM can you get with the Tim6 ignition on the saw and blower engines. I am hoping for 7000 or 8000 on my engine. Do you think it will do it with right coil ect? Thanks Capt,n
Old 08-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Antique

That's a stock Zenoah hub, the pattern is theirs...
Mine have a different pattern, made by running a knurling tool against the end of the hub while turning the hub in the lathe after the other machining and tapping operations...Different tools make different patterns....
Old 08-02-2006, 05:02 PM
TIGITRIGHT

Iv been doing some searching on the web,Found some interesting sites and links.[8D]
Here is some links Iv found{(http://www.scooterworks.com/CDI_Unit...gnition__P2027)
(http://www.americanscootercenter.com...roducts_id=187)
(http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3422690/tm.htm)
(http://www.pazon.com/pages/products....ZIA2hVZVNzW2hq)
(http://www.v-e.cz/index.php)

Nothing Done Right Takes Too Much Time,,..

Name:	Tr49079.gif
Views:	64
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	500775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56584.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	500776  
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

The timing for the Syncro Spark is set at 30 dbtdc. It determines the engine cranking speed on the first flip. under 180 rpm full advance to set timing, over 180 rpm full retart to start engine. Instant prop rpm on a 70cc engine is around 500 rpm, on smaller engines its even higher.

ORIGINAL: coralcape

I have been reading that EI engines are easier to start because of retarded timing. It seems to me, since the timing is set at appx. 30deg BTDT and it probably takes a couple of revolutions for the advance ckt to calculate and retard timing, that the engines are actually starting well advanced. Seems logical to me.Is this true? red
Old 08-03-2006, 07:03 AM
coralcape

TKG, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now. I realize my mistake was assuming the logic took several revs to make a calculation. Thanks again, red

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.