Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

hi tech radio and gas with ign?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:51 PM
clocknut
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi tech radio and gas with ign?

Hi everyone I'm new to this board so please bear with me. I'm working on a lazy eight biplane with 76" wing span and I have a 26cc homlite on it. A couple of my friends say that they are having trouble with the hi tech radios and the gas with cdi ignition and that i should not use the hi tech?
So has anyone else had problems with this they say they will lose control of the plane for some unknown reason.
Thanks clocknut
Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Default RE: hi tech radio and gas with ign?

You must keep the ign no closer than 12 inches to the reciever.The farther away from the ign the reciever and the attena the better.You must also use a resister plug.It has an R in the number.You also need to not use any metal when hooking up the throttle pushrod to the carb.I use nyrod with a metal or the plastic and metal ball links like used on helis.There is nothing wrong with the radio unless the crystal is bad.Its all about setup.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 PM
clocknut

Hey Buck thanks for the info I wrote it all down and I will do what you say.
Thanks clocknut
Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

I had bad luck with Hitec. The Eclipes 7 and I did not get along at all.
I went to Futaba and have not looked back.

I like to make a shield out of aluminum foil and place it in line-of-sight between the
EI set up and the receiver.

I have not had any trouble since I switched?

On your glow planes, were you getting "HIT" or raido interference?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 PM
av8tor1977

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually use electronic ignition, (or Gas/Glow), but a while back I set up a plane for a friend with a Homelite 25cc with a magneto. We had problems with interference until I used the braid off of a t.v. coax cable to shield his ignition wire. The interference went away and he has had many trouble free flights since....

Also note that the kill wires can cause interference and should be mounted well away from all the radio equipment.

AV8TOR
Old 02-14-2008, 11:27 AM
clocknut

Thanks everyone for your in put on this.I want to finish my lazy eight so it is ready for spring and I have a converted 26cc homlite on it with the melody spe-26 ign.And i have a hi tech box so I'm just now putting in the ign,gas tank receiver,etc and I would like to get it right the first time.I need to get a cable for the throttle and then i should have everything to finish it.I will upload a picture of it as soon as I can.But thanks again for the info.
clocknut
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 PM
av8tor1977

Don't use a metal cable for the throttle. Use a plastic pushrod assembly.

AV8TOR
Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 PM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am useing Hitec. The Eclipes 7. I have had no truble at all with it. A lot of people say it is the radio but it is not the radio that can give you fits, it is the the Rx that can if you trubles.

I run Futaba for all my Rx.s. and if I have a prob it is ezy fixed by the thing that was said in this post. Just run your engine and do a range test with the antina down with the engine running. If you get 70 feet or more out of it you are good to go.

Paul
Old 02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
av8tor1977

The general consensus that I have been able to discern is that the Hitec receivers are one of the best. I use them, along with Futaba, Tower, and some other brands.

Any radio system will have interference in a poorly set up installation. If you have interference problems, look at the airplane setup first, not the radio, especially if it is a "known" brand.

There is a lot of "expert" info here on the web. But unfortunately not all of it is really "expert". You have to "sort the wheat from the chaff...."

AV8TOR
Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 AM
KI8FR

I see that did not come out right. I was not saying that Hitec receivers are not any good. I just said that if there is a prb it is not with the radio it can be with the Rx. (If it is a radio prob). and I was just saying that I run Futaba Rx. Not becuz they are the best. it is just what I have and what I am running. I love my Hitec Radio. I have seen post were people are having gliches and there told to send the radio in to get it looked at and 9 out of 10 it will be the Rx from being in a crash at one time that needs to be fixed. I have seen people say that somthing is junk and would never run one but otheres will run it and have no prob.

I am sorry it I afened you av8tor.

I think I should read what I post before I send it. lol
Old 02-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Ralphbf

Your Right KI8FR

That's why there are so many diffeerent brands.

Hitec was my 1st raido and I had bad luck with it and CUSStomer service.

I love their HS 475 servo, so it's not all bad.
But the Futaba Cap7 raido is a dream.
It's so good that I have never had to call customer service.
And never a raido glitch.
At the field I was being hit often.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:30 AM
av8tor1977

Hey, no worries, you didn't offend me. I wasn't referring to you, and I'm sorry if you took it that way. It's just like you said; someone will have a bad experience with something that is probably not the fault of the unit, but they will then bad mouth it saying all things of that brand are bad. As I said, sometimes it is hard to discern what is good information and what is not. When I look for info on something on the web or in the forums, I am careful not to take just one or two opinions, I do a good study to try to get the whole picture, and hopefully accurate info in the end.

AV8TOR
Old 02-15-2008, 10:54 AM
clocknut

Hey guys I didn't mean to start a war here
I"m not saying the HI TEc is bad at all I was just saying that people had trouble and I don't want to crash my plane the first time out,so I want to set it up WITH THE HI TEC and get it right the first time.
Thanks to all for your in put.
clocknut
Old 02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
LunaSea

I am flying a 25cc Homie w/ the standard magneto ignition with a Hitec FM (not PPM or PCM) receiver with NO PROBLEMS. I think maybe the reason for that is that I followed all the guidelines mentioned here, including shielding the plug wire (all the way over the plug base) with woven wire shielding (stainless steel high-pressure hose shielding). I don't get even a single glitch...

BTW - the Homie is a GREAT-running little engine, easy to start with a standard electric starter, reasonble top-end power, great low, smoooooooooth idle....
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: clocknut

Hi everyone I'm new to this board so please bear with me. I'm working on a lazy eight biplane with 76" wing span and I have a 26cc homlite on it. A couple of my friends say that they are having trouble with the hi tech radios and the gas with cdi ignition and that i should not use the hi tech?
So has anyone else had problems with this they say they will lose control of the plane for some unknown reason.
Thanks clocknut
Myself and several friends have used Hitec radio gear with gassers without problems. As long as you take practical precautions such as keeping the receiver away from the ignition and don't run long servo leads nearby (use ferrite rings to supress interference) you shouldn't have problems.

I ran an Supreme QPCM receiver on my Homelite powered gasser. Other than one or two momentary failsafes that occured in airspace known for glitching I had zero problems.....until an aileron failed.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:30 AM
KI8FR

ORIGINAL: clocknut

Hey guys I didn't mean to start a war here
I"m not saying the HI TEc is bad at all I was just saying that people had trouble and I don't want to crash my plane the first time out,so I want to set it up WITH THE HI TEC and get it right the first time.
Thanks to all for your in put.
clocknut

No prob here. You did not start a war here. av8tor Ralph and I chat on this form a lot. we all know one anuther and we all have no prob to say sorry. were all good.

Paul
Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 AM
clocknut

Thanks guys for all the info.I do feel A lot more confident about using my HI TEc gear now.
My Melody ign comes with a shielded cable so I should be OK there and the plane is large enough that I should have no problems getting the ign far enough away form the ign.(I don't know hat the ferrite rings are?)
I also have a 88" 1/4 scale tiger moth that I want to get ready for spring and that also will be running a gas motor with ign. So the thing s you have told me should save me a lot of grieve.
Thanks clocknut
Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Luna,, PPM and PCM are both FM. PPM and PCM are FM modulation techniques. I regularly use HiTech receivers and servos with both Futaba and Airtronics transmitters with no problems......
Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Ralphbf

Is this the year of the Tiger Moth?

There seems to be a lot of people with them now.

And a lot of them running on gas.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Homelite 30 with magneto. I use the Nyrod for the throttle and a resister plug. Nothing else is different. Never any trouble with a Hitec Supreme receiver and servos. Been using it for 4 years
Old 02-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Ralphbf

w8ye

I finally finnished and flew my Birdi Old Timer.
It has a US 35.

It flew just like you said it would.
To slow and it will tip stall, but keep the speed up a little and it's a very honest plane.
It needed very little trin and will hang on the prop, for a little while any way.
I flew it 4 times the first day, the last flight I was really having fun with it.

I plan on finnishing it as an E-IV like the one by my name.
This was my first kit and took me a whole year to finnish.
It truely was a box of sticks.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:44 PM
KI8FR

I have not idea on what I tiger moth looks like. Got a pick

Paul
Old 02-16-2008, 07:16 PM
av8tor1977

Here's some pics of mine as I was building it. 78" wingspan. It's from Nitro Planes. Ryobi 31cc on Gas/Glow.

It's got lots of lift! It surprised me on the test flight by levitating off the ground before I got past 1/4 throttle into a slight breeze.

I always liked the "lines" of this airplane. Definitely a classic.

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78893.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	880545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95667.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	880546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34625.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	880547  
Old 02-16-2008, 10:43 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Clocknut,i put a homelite 30cc with the stock mag on my sons 1/4 scale Balsausa DVIII.It has a WS of 84 inches.The motor wasnt quite heavy enough.Heres the way i set it up to balance it out so try this on your planes.A friend of mine has a lazy ace like yours also.The engine is bolted against firewall.Then between firewall and former no 1 is the gas tank and i have a 4.8 volt battery pack made up of sub-cs.The reciever,and the elevator and rudder servo are beneath the pilots seat.This quarentees me 16-18 inches of clearence from the ignition.The battery pack and the wire lead from the pack is wrapped in aluminum foil all the way to the switch.The switch is located on the dash in front of the pilot.(14 inches away from ign).Just for safty sake because this was a father son project i wrapped the RX in aluminum foil and the anntena is routed through a hole in the bottom of fuse right below the back of the pilots seat and then held on by a couple dabs of silicone against the bottom of fuse back to the tail skid.This might be a starting place for positiong your various components.hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 PM
clocknut

Hey Buck thanks that sounds great .I'll try it that way.I'll try to take a couple of pictures of my lazy ace tomorrow and post them so you can see what I have going.

Ralph try this link for a picture of the Tiger Moth.Hope it works for you.
clocknut

http://www.carrprecision.com/Photos/moth2g.gif

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.