Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

4 stroke 29cc Trobilt

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:57 PM
motorhd
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 stroke 29cc Trobilt

I saw a Ryobi 4 stroke 29cc trimmer at Lowes today. Looks different than the 26 cc. Maybe smaller? Anyone have any experience with these? Looks like a good conversion prospect.
Motorhd
Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: 29cc Ryobi

Motorhead,
Did you notice if the engine design was easier to mount? The European 4Cycles have a dual shaft and a pull start in back. When removed it makes a nice motor mount like Toro, Echo etc. How did it cost?

Dave
Old 07-27-2006, 11:23 AM
motorhd
My Feedback: (15)

They are Troybilt mod# TB525 and TB575. The case on one of them is more like other engines instead of cut off at a 45 degree angle for the oil pan and the pan is more like a backplate. Should be an easier mount. Current price is $160. and $190. Somebody needs to take a digital camera to Lowes.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:14 AM
hollbrow

I have not seen these yet- I may be wrong, but I think that what you are seeing may be a third rendition of the 'Ryobi' four stroke-The first ones years ago were dogs but they keep getting better- I think Zenoah actually had a hand in some of the design for the 2nd version. I am pretty sure MTD owns the rights to them now-
I know they own Troy-Bilt. This engine could appear in a plethora of equipment.
Someone get one and check it out- or as above- go snap us a pic of it.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:47 AM
hollbrow

I called a buddy of mine at a lawn and garden shop- he gave me the skinny on the 29cc-
says it is a half crank engine- says it reminds him of a cross between a ryobi 31cc two stroke and a honda GX31.
It has a backplate like the 31cc- so it would be easy to mount on a firewall- but the oil plug is in the backplate- so there would have to be a cutout or spacer for it. It has a cam/valve assembly similar to the honda- but unlike the honda, has a removable cylinder. The the pull start is integrated into the trimmer cover and the PTO end is similar- if not identical to a long shaft Ryobi with a clutch.
He couldn't comment on the power of it.
This may be worth looking into.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:03 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: 4 stroke 29cc Trobilt

I went to Lowes today in San Antonio and both of the Troy-Built 4C trimmers were the old style oil sump. They were 29cc though. I guess there must be different models available.

Dave