Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Anyone with Poulan & Homelite 45 experience?

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Anyone with Poulan & Homelite 45 experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 02:14 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone with Poulan & Homelite 45 experience?

I have a Poulan 42cc on my Giant Big Stik, and I have a Homelite 45cc waiting to be converted. The Poulan hauls the Giant Stick around very nicely, including all aerobatics and good vertical, but it's not ballistic. Does anyone have direct experience with these two engines? Does the Homelite have significantly more power than the Poulan??

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 09-14-2006, 02:42 PM
waterloged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone with Poulan & Homelite 45 experience?

Hi
In my experiance i did not think the homelite was that much better, it's a good motor but if your converting just to go for the three more cc's its not going to change that much. Thats my experiance. if you do it and it makes a lot more motor for you please let me know. I did go up 5cc's once just for the power and i was disapointed that i could not see much if any difference. Im playing with one right now that i.m polishing and porting and trying to make a bearing plate so i can adjust the timing on it with a servo. I am a ex master mechanic and a machinest and for some reason i have had people tell me some of my ideas are nuts, Oh well Good luck its all about learning and having fun...
Old 09-14-2006, 04:54 PM
av8tor1977

Hi,

Well, it is not just for the extra 3cc's actually. I've repeatedly heard that the Homelite 45cc is a powerhouse, and so that is why I wondered if anyone knew if it really was that much more powerful than the Poulan before I bothered converting it and making the switch. I could go to work porting and such on the Poulan, (I already raised the exhaust timing to 155 degrees), but if the Homelite 45 was better, I would just do that as I have other projects in the works that I want to get to and don't have a lot of time to experiment right now. I really thought the Poulan 42cc would be a little more powerful than it is when I decided to put it on the Giant Stik. I don't want anyone to misunderstand.... the Poulan 42cc pulls the Giant Stik very well. It is just that I love having a huge excess of power!! Like I teach my students, that throttle lever moves in BOTH directions, and one can always throttle back!

AV8TOR
Old 09-14-2006, 06:48 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Which Homelite 45 do you have? The older one with the bolt on carb or the newer one with the carb as part of the case?

Which one is more powerful?

I have both as chain saws and the newer one is more user friendly but I would be afraid to pass judgement on the power.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 AM
av8tor1977

It's the older one with the bolt on carb. Let's make this easier... Does anyone have any rpm/prop tach numbers for the Homelite 45cc? Wasn't there a company that used to sell these converted? Weren't they called "The Brute"?

AV8TOR
Old 09-15-2006, 09:27 AM
flyjoe540

I have the older homelite45 , im fairly sure of these numbers 20x10 @7200 r.p.m. they are from 2 years ago .its my first gasser and i smoked the ring.havent had a chance to try it since rebuilding it
the site you want is bcma black baron shows up here from time to time hes a good guy too,very helpful sold me a new ring for my 45 dirt cheap. good luck
Old 09-15-2006, 06:00 PM
flipflop

I posted the rpm numbers on mine WAY back somewhere. All my engine test data is still on my old computer, I'll get it out one of these days. Over the period of about a months time, I flew the Poulan 42, Poulan 46, and Homelite 45 on my Texas Hurricane. All the motors were tried with the MA 20x10, MA Simitar 20x8, and Bambula 20x8. All on C-H ignition and stock carbs. On my motors the Homelite was noticably stronger, I couldn't tell much difference between the two Poulans. Wish I had some rpm numbers for you.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:04 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Flipflop,

I didn't find your numbers in one place. I've assembled some of your comments. The most info was in this thread...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1397409

Flipflop
Well, Cummingstools came through town yesterday, so I picked up a Homelite 45 for a good price. Got this much done so far. More later.

Looks lilke this is going to be a fine little engine. Cranked right up this morning with the first tap of the starter. Didn't even have to adjust the needles on a Bambula 18x8 which it turned at 8400rpm with the stock muffler. I know that's kind of a small prop, but I wanted to go easy on the motor until I get a couple of tanks through it. I did have to richen it up a little with a Pro Zinger 20x8. Looks like the Ultra Stik is fixing to get a major horsepower increase!

Alright, three more flights today with the 45 in my Ultra Stik. I had three flights last weekend with the stock muffler and the landing gear off a Wildhare Edge on it. It flew fine, nothing to get excited about though. Today I was back with the stock landing gear (with 1" spacers installed) and a B&B muffler. One pound one ounce lighter (the stock Wildhare landing gear weighs a ton) MA 20x10, 7320rpm and a Pro Zinger 18x10, 7710rpm. Unlimited vertical with either prop, hovers at half throttle with the MA. That's chugging along pretty well for a motor with 7 tanks of gas through it.

That's the new style 45 that you have to make the carb adapter for.(shown in the first picture) It's easy to make the adapter (if you have a lathe) because the intake stub is round instead of that weird oval shape like on the Poulan 46. Those are the Hanger Nine mounts, I do a slight modification to them so you don't have to use adapter plates. I've got a picture around here somewhere that I would post but I can't right now. My monitor died a couple of days ago and right now I'm using an antique 12" 16 color monitor that won't let me view my pictures with AC?DC.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58662.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	524646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64218.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	524647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25610.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	524648  
Old 09-16-2006, 03:10 AM
av8tor1977

I think I'm going to go for it... Thanks for the info!

AV8TOR