Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Bridi Big Bee $99.00 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 09:02 PM
ANeat
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bridi Big Bee $99.00 ???

Hello Guys; Is the Bridi Big Bee any good?? The reason Im asking is Sheldons Hobbies are closing out on some kits and they are selling them for $99.00 which seems to be almost half of what they are anywhere else. This is a 99 inch "Stick" style plane area is 1600 inch.
Seems like a good airframe to test some conversions like the Poulan 46 on.
Ive been out of the larger planes for a few years so I dont know if I missed anything on the Big Bee??

Oh and here is a link to the sale page. http://www.sheldonshobbies.com/listing/hotdealair.html

Adam
Old 05-02-2003, 10:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Joe Bridi told me over the phone that he had the Zenoah G62 in mind when he designed the kit. I have a unbuilt kit that I purchased from Shelden's about 4 years ago. I cannot see anything wrong with it. The structual design follows some practices from back in the 80's. The outline of the tail feathers appears to be from the early 90's.

It's a huge airplane with a long tail moment arm. The landing gear is built up 1/4" piano wire. It seems to be properly engineered for it's size and intentions.

It's just a big old Ugly Stick without the ugly. Kinda like a giant Ultra Stick but without the flaps.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 05-02-2003, 10:53 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If yas put a G62 on it ya have to cut off the nose about 2", put two high torque mg servos in the tail, use 6" wheels, and block up the landing gear 1".....buuuuuuuuutttt, it's well worth the extra effort....Mine flies like a big CUB......

Well worth the kit price....
BB1
Old 05-03-2003, 10:09 AM
JGM

I agree with Big Bird . I test flew one of these for a friend a few years back and it was a great flier with good solid feel and no nasty habits. $99.00 sounds like a super deal.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:12 AM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

A friend of mine has one that had a 31cc Ryobi on it & it did pretty good. Now he has a 33cc converted Homelite saw engine on it & its even better! the plane flies great with no bad habits. You could call it a big baby!!

Keep'm Off The Ground!!
Steve
Old 05-03-2003, 12:42 PM
ANeat

Thanks for the info guys; I did get around to doing some searching and everyone has had good things to say about it. I plan on using it as a sort of test mule for several conversions I have laying around. Im one of those guys that started playing with the conversions before I had a plane to use them in

On the Big Bee I believe the wing has a symetrical airfoil right? How about dihedral? I would like to build a 2 piece wing if its not to much trouble.
Big Bird; I like your alterations and putting the servos in the tail. I will probably go that route with mine also.

Adam
Old 05-03-2003, 01:56 PM
BigBird1

If you go with a lighter motor....leave the nose long....I used the big servos for balance...it's a loooong stretch for pushrods..the tail is long so you have to be careful about the weight on the front end..
Wing has his favorite airfoil, with double taper...with the top of the wing flat...building is a breeze, just need lots of room...joining a 8' wing in a 12' wide beadroom can be fun...
Don't know about making a two peice wing..have pickup truck with 8' bed...fits right in...
Wing tubes for that size and weight plane are huge and don't know if they will fit between the spars..

It a strong plane..Think tank....
With a G62 and a 22x10 prop up front the origional landing gear is way too short...

If ya need some pics of the one I have, just yell....
BB1
Old 05-03-2003, 02:10 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

I had one a few years ago with a Quadra 42. The Quadra easily flew it, but it didn't have much vertical. The 96" 1 pc. was a major pain to deal with. I reccomend building it with a 80-84" wing, and try to keep it as light as possible. The Poulan46 would be a good choice, especially if it is with electronic ign.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:05 PM
ANeat

Default Big Wing

Probably 10 years ago I had a T170. It was scratch built from RCM plans and had a 100" 1 piece wing that was a pain. Hauling it wasnt bad but it was around the shop and everywhere in between I was always wishing it was in 2 pieces. I did something similar to zx32tt's idea and ended up making a shorter wing for it. It still flew great; rolled better and was easier to move around.
I swapped out the Quadra 35 with a G-62 and I think that may have helped a little
Ill have to wait and get a look at the plans to see what my options will be. If one large tube wont fit then possibly 2 small ones will??

Adam
Old 05-05-2003, 08:10 PM
Warren
My Feedback: (72)

Here is a picture:

http://www.*********az.com/bigbee.html

Looks like a great relaxing flyer!

I like the Big Kaos too:

http://www.*********az.com/bigchaos.html
Old 05-05-2003, 08:48 PM
BigBird1

Not to get off the thread...

A Big Chaos and a RCS 180 are a great match....
Change the wing spars to hardwood don't use balsa...
I did one snap roll tooooooooo many and had to dig it out with a shovel...

Gonna' miss Joe....
Old 04-09-2004, 08:05 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Bridi Big Bee $99.00 ???

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Joe Bridi told me over the phone that he had the Zenoah G62 in mind when he designed the kit.

Jim
Is there only one version of the Big Bee? I am looking at the "Big Bee Trainer .90-1.20" at Sheldon's Hobbies, that is a long way from a G62 ! I am looking for the big 96" span floater for a gas conversion. Is that the same one as the .90-1.20 ? they don't give the wingspan or any specs on Sheldon's website.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:01 PM
BigBird1

Sorry to say that their is a bigger version.. 8' for a g38 up to a g62...
Joe Briddi is the only one that I know of that had the kits...and he's out, never more to make the kit again...as far as I know...[]
The only thing that he's advertising on his WEB sight in the big variety is the two meter Dirty Birdy (I bought one) and The Old Timer..

I'm sure that their are some Big Bee kits that are nestled away out their somewhere.....
I wouldn't give up mine for nothing....sweeeeet flier with a 62 and a 22x10 on the front..
Old 04-09-2004, 10:04 PM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: BigBird1

I'm sure that their are some Big Bee kits that are nestled away out their somewhere.....
This one I am looking at is called the Big Bee, is there a bigger bee than the Big Bee ? How many "Big Bees" are there? Is there just a "Bee" that might be smaller, this one specifically says "Big Bee"
Old 04-09-2004, 10:29 PM
BigBird1

Where are you seeing the Big Bee listed...only thing I see is the Killer Bee..

BB1
Old 04-10-2004, 05:23 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: BigBird1

Where are you seeing the Big Bee listed...only thing I see is the Killer Bee..

BB1
In the link in the first post in this thread, on Sheldon's Hot Deals page.

Where are you seeing the Killer Bee? LOL It's not there.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:24 AM
BigBird1

I did a search for Sheldon's Hobbies and looked in the Plane section...
Killer Bee is their...Got one of those in the box also..

I followed the link at the top of the page...sure enough it's still their..
They might have the 90/120 size mismarked..Never heard of one..might be wrong..
Give them a call and see if it's the real Big Bee...
Some where in the forums, theirs a guy that did build one with a two piece wing, did a lot of lightening with the ribs, fuse, etc..the thread still might be around..

BB1