Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

no spark hand proping

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
robm2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark hand proping

I cannot get a stihl 056 ( 80cc ) to produce any spark when hand proping. it has the magneto ignition system. i checked that the kill button is not grounded. If i use my electric sullivan starter with out the spark plug in, i get spark about when the electric motor is at its peak rpm. the sullivan wont budge it when the plug is in.

I saw the jump starter system listed on the c&h web site but if i buy that, might as well getthe whole cdi ignition system.

how can i get it to produce spark by hand proping?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Jester241

Default RE: no spark hand proping

I'm not sure if its even possible to hand start an engine with flywheel/magneto. I'm sure someone here will say its easily possible,but I've never seen it done. Thats a BIG reason most of us use Electronic Ignitions. The only engine I ever ran that had flywheel/magneto had a spring loaded started mechanism built in. Your probly gonna have to invest a big chunk of money into a massive starter for that big of an engine or simply put an EI on it for $40.00-$80.00. Its honestly really worth it to go with EI because of the conveince of it.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM
jeffy

you said that so well and you are right............
Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a lot of engines that will hand start with stock ignition. My Zenoah G38will hand start and idle as slow as any average ignition engine. You have to have everything just right and know how to start them by hand. It is something you learn in time....that is if you stick with it. When I get time...I will post a video for proof. Capt,n PS...did you poke that poor guy in the eyes enough by now!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jester241

I'm not sure if its even possible to hand start an engine with flywheel/magneto. I'm sure someone here will say its easily possible,but I've never seen it done. Thats a BIG reason most of us use Electronic Ignitions. The only engine I ever ran that had flywheel/magneto had a spring loaded started mechanism built in. Your probly gonna have to invest a big chunk of money into a massive starter for that big of an engine or simply put an EI on it for $40.00-$80.00. Its honestly really worth it to go with EI because of the conveince of it.
If you put the piston just BEFORE compression starts and then slap the prop, hand starting is relatively easy. I have seen it done many times.
I even succeded myself in starting a zenoah....ONCE! I like EI systems better.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Nosedragger

I agree with captinjohn, technique is everything , the zenoah manual explains how to properly start a zenoah by hand.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
jeffy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jester241

I'm not sure if its even possible to hand start an engine with flywheel/magneto. I'm sure someone here will say its easily possible,but I've never seen it done. Thats a BIG reason most of us use Electronic Ignitions. The only engine I ever ran that had flywheel/magneto had a spring loaded started mechanism built in. Your probly gonna have to invest a big chunk of money into a massive starter for that big of an engine or simply put an EI on it for $40.00-$80.00. Its honestly really worth it to go with EI because of the conveince<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" /><title></title><meta content="OpenOffice.org 3.0 (Win32)" name="GENERATOR" /><style type="text/css"> </style>

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" /><title></title><meta content="OpenOffice.org 3.0 (Win32)" name="GENERATOR" /><style type="text/css"> </style>

I have also started g23 and g38,s by hand but you have to remember, Its all about flying and enjoying the sport so try to make it easy on yourself

use a hand starter and EI works and your shoulder won't hurt so much[img]images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif[/img]

we are getting older and we should not have to make things hard on ourselves

ever have a engine that wont start and after a while someone says here use my starter and whamoo the engine starts.....its all about flying and enjoying the hobby....

Old 06-15-2009, 06:52 PM
flygilmore

Rather funny when you read all these folks who say that mag. engines can't be flip started/started easily! As allready stated, you have to have a bit of knowledge about prop oreintation etc. before you just go out and start flipping. Ihave seen many, many people who were either afraid or just wimps that could hardly get the prop to make it past the compression stroke. Point is, Ihave not met a mag. engine that Icould not start yet... Istart all my Zenoahs from G-62's down to the G-26 with absolute ease-conversion engines too. To me, it is fun to go out and start these engines-especially for someone else who says it can't be done. Oh, and Ihave my EI engines too BTW.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Joe Butch
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He He He, yes, I fly mags and electronic ignitions. I love them both, andIdon'tevenhave astarter. A G-38 has the neat three legged coil and it hand starts as easily as an electronic set up. On my mag engines I use a heavy leather glove wrapped in a towel wraped in tape. Have the engine coming up on the bump of compression with the prop blade between 12:00 and 1:00.SLAP the engine to start it ,and I mean SLAP. With the prop in the right position you don't push the plane sideways or lift the plane. The slap force is across and down. To make the glove, put one of those brown cotton gloves on your hand first, then a leather glove. Fold a small towel til it's about 4 inches wide, then wrap it around the glove. Then wrap it with tape. I use the heavy medical stuff, it is like cloth. The glove will be too tight to get off and on easily if you don't wear the brown one then take it out when when your donetaping. No batteries or wiring to mess with on the mag and no batteries or wiring to mess with for the starter. Choke it til you get the carb pretty wet, full throttle, pull the engine over about 3-5 times to get the fuel up in the cylinder. the squeeze and release of the 3-5 pull throughs get the fuel vaporized real well. Set throttle to fast idle.1to 5 slaps and your running. I'm not a big strong guy, believe me butSISSIES carry starters.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 AM
flygilmore

WORD!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 PM
adrian222
My Feedback: (1)

Or you could pull a starter motor out of a ride on mower or a old outboard engine which I use.

Adrian.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure your prop is in the right position first and foremost.  With the magnets just before the coil set your prop to about 2 o'clock.  Then the slap method works.  It CAN be a little hard if the carb is just a tad lean. 
Edwin
Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never had to slap my G38 with stock mag....what you guys have is a poor tunned engine or slow arm or both. Maybe even slow brain!!!!! Capt,n
Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Joe Butch
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll type this slowly so the cap can read it. I said a G-38 has the three legged coil and hand starts easily. Everyone has been trying to help then the cap comes on telling us we're tuned ( one n ) improperly and slow physically and mentally. Thanks cap