RCU Forums - View Single Post - no spark hand proping
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Joe Butch
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: no spark hand proping

He He He, yes, I fly mags and electronic ignitions. I love them both, andIdon'tevenhave astarter. A G-38 has the neat three legged coil and it hand starts as easily as an electronic set up. On my mag engines I use a heavy leather glove wrapped in a towel wraped in tape. Have the engine coming up on the bump of compression with the prop blade between 12:00 and 1:00.SLAP the engine to start it ,and I mean SLAP. With the prop in the right position you don't push the plane sideways or lift the plane. The slap force is across and down. To make the glove, put one of those brown cotton gloves on your hand first, then a leather glove. Fold a small towel til it's about 4 inches wide, then wrap it around the glove. Then wrap it with tape. I use the heavy medical stuff, it is like cloth. The glove will be too tight to get off and on easily if you don't wear the brown one then take it out when when your donetaping. No batteries or wiring to mess with on the mag and no batteries or wiring to mess with for the starter. Choke it til you get the carb pretty wet, full throttle, pull the engine over about 3-5 times to get the fuel up in the cylinder. the squeeze and release of the 3-5 pull throughs get the fuel vaporized real well. Set throttle to fast idle.1to 5 slaps and your running. I'm not a big strong guy, believe me butSISSIES carry starters.