Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Weedeater 24 cc conversion candidate

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weedeater 24 cc conversion candidate

I just got Weedeater 24 BCW trimmer Says 24 cc, also says California. Is this a good conversion candidate? I am guessing the "California" means it has been modified for lower emissions (?). Do these mods impact its use for RC? Can they be negated for bettter RC use? Any other comments on this one? TIA
Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Twin Star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weedeater 24 cc conversion candidate

In my understanding the Calif. compliant thing generally applies to the muffler and the carb. On the other hand unless it is extremely light, 24cc isn't much engine. About the same as a 1.00 glow 4 stroke at 4 times the weight.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:46 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need two needle valves on your carb
Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

does it have a 4 bolt back plate or a 2 bolt backplate? the 4 bolt backplate engines turn out pretty light and easy to convert.

the problem with the 24cc engines especially the california versions is the exhaust timing, they are in the 110* range where it should be in the 150* range. port it a bit and put an appropriate carb with 2 needles and it'll be a half decent engine, if 4 bolt backplate and the older style muffler that is just held together with the springs instead of crimped it will turn out at 3 pounds with everything but prop on stock ignition, look for my "small conversion" thread lower on the page for how I build them.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:00 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Four bolt back plate. I have another four bolt Weedeater engine, but I don't yet know what size it is. Maybe I can mix parts to get a "non california" version to convert???? Thanks for your comments.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

they do have many swapable parts, but really the only difference is a small carb and the exhaust duration, porting the thing isn't all that hard, if you have a dremel or chainsaw file you can port it if you print out a degree wheel and check your progress a few times. The chainsaw file method takes a lot longer but less chance to screw things up with the right precausions.