Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

25cc 2 bolt Weed Eater

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Twin Star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25cc 2 bolt Weed Eater

I just got two of the 2 bolt rear cover Weed Eater brand wackers. They both run and I got to say I'm impressed lots of pep.

Has anybody converted them and what did you think of it.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 25cc 2 bolt Weed Eater

I've got one or two of those set aside.... I figured one of these days I would get around to seeing if they were any good to convert. They look to be lightweight anyway....

AV8TOR
Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

there's a few people that convert these and like them, search for poulan 25
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Joe Butch
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Search Featherlite and Joe Butch. See my .40 size Twist with a 21cc Featherlite. Joe
Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 AM
JIMARRINGTON

I had one flying a Dynaflite SE5a. It was on electronic ignition and had a larger WT-324 carb. Ran great. Was very reliable. No other mods. Used the original piston ring which is pinned on this engine. Flew it for 2 years. Unfortunately had a servo failure last week and crashed the airplane. I liked the engine very much. I have another converted for a scratchbuilt Sopwith Camel I am building. Plan on leaving the flywheel and magneto on this one. Need the weight up front. Have already had it running. I think these are great engines for conversion. Just dont expect them to be real high on power. They are reliable and easy to convert and will fly low wing loaded airplanes. Another factor is that they are very numerous. It would be cool to see someone with the machine shop see if they can hop up one of these.

Jim
Old 10-17-2010, 10:29 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

if you played with port timing I bet it would do wonders... if the new ones are anything like the old ones they are very pathetic in that department, don't need a machine shop to do port work
Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 AM
JIMARRINGTON

I have heard a lot of people talk about doing port work but have never actually seen a thread on how to do it. I would like to see someone do a thread on porting without a machine shop and show us what tools they use and how they use them.

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 PM
av8tor1977

The only things you need for porting are a degree wheel and a Dremel tool. I use a long thin carbide cutter in the Dremel for most of my port work, and ocassionally the small drum sander. Just be sure to lightly chamfer the port edges when you are done so they don't damage the piston and/or ring. Also, take off small amounts and check your progress often with the degree wheel. It takes less material removal than one might expect to make a big difference in the timing, because in a two stroke, changing the port changes both the opening AND closing events of the port. If you are going to leave out the base gasket to close up the deck height, be sure to do your degree measuring without the gasket in place, as leaving the gasket out changes the port timing in and of itself.

AV8TOR
Old 10-17-2010, 01:31 PM
av8tor1977

Here is a nice degree wheel I made. Just click on it to enlarge it, then click on the icon in the lower right corner of the picture to enlarge it fully. Then right click on the picture, and click save. You will then have the wheel, and you can print it out. I print mine out on photo paper, and then laminate them with plastic.

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52604.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1518446