RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   GAS/GLOW HOW TO.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/8009384-gas-glow-how.html)

krayzc-RCU 01-06-2009 01:09 PM

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

:D

KI8FR 01-07-2009 12:56 AM

ORIGINAL: the Wasp

man,,,,,,,,,,, all this talk makes me want to get to the field and fly,, but it's cold out therrr and we got a good foot of snow eeerrrr, after all these years I have learned to hate the cold and snow !!

Jim
The only good thing about winter is that it will come to a end. :D

captinjohn 01-08-2009 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put sone skies on or belly land it in snow! Capt,n;)

krayzc-RCU 01-08-2009 10:00 PM

yeah baby show those planes love in the winter:)

WMB 01-10-2009 10:41 AM

What a great thread! I have a 26cc Stihl weed eater I would like to put in a plane. This sounds like the best of both worlds. No ignition needed. Can I just run with out the flywheel then? Does any one market a prop hub for this? Bridi makes some big stick type airplanes that would be a good match. I just thought that the added weight of flywheel in this small engine would really drag down performance. This size seemed caught in the to small for gas, too big for economical glow flying.
Thanks, MikeB

captinjohn 01-10-2009 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: WMB

What a great thread! I have a 26cc Stihl weed eater I would like to put in a plane. This sounds like the best of both worlds. No ignition needed. Can I just run with out the flywheel then? Does any one market a prop hub for this? Bridi makes some big stick type airplanes that would be a good match. I just thought that the added weight of flywheel in this small engine would really drag down performance. This size seemed caught in the to small for gas, too big for economical glow flying.
Thanks, MikeB
Hang in there a bit...someone will have the data you want!!! Capt,n

av8tor1977 01-10-2009 08:38 PM

Some guys use the magneto ignition, some convert to CD ignition sold by www.ch-ignitions, and some go this new Gas/Glow route. Gas/Glow is the lightest, and costs very little to set up.

With either the CD ignition or Gas/Glow you do not use the original flywheel.

There are several sources here to have pop hubs made. Try www.wackerengines.com. If that doesn't work, make a new post asking to have a prop hub made and several people will probably answer. You can also try sending a private message (pm) to buck1856 , as I believe he makes his own prop hubs and has converted Stihl engines. I could make one for you, but I just don't have the time right now I'm sorry to say.

BTW, the Stihl engines are good runners and make good conversion engines.

Have fun!
AV8TOR

Beechbum 01-16-2009 04:04 PM

Av8tor, and everyone...

Very interesting thread. I came across it trying to fugure out how to keep a spark plug inside a tight cowl. I was looking at 1/4 32 Rimfire plugs and some how found this thread. Glad I did!

Do you, or anyone know if anybody is running a DA-50 with this set up? When looking around I think I saw where a guy was running strait methanol in a DA. Is that possible? DA says running anythin but gas would void the warranty, so I want to be careful here. If I go this route I would break it in on gas first. It seems like 32-1 oil mix would be okay. As long as I follow your advice I don't think DA could tell what has been run in it anyway, Right? Thanks.

RACJ 01-16-2009 07:18 PM

AV8TOR,I have a G-26 I've been wanting to put in a plane but its weight is too much for this plane. If I'll run it on gas/glow you're saying I can remove all magneto ignition AND the flywheel?? Flywheel would remove a lot of weight. THANKS,RACJ

av8tor1977 01-17-2009 01:20 AM

You can run straight methanol and oil and a glow plug, but you may have to modify your carb. Some carbs will flow enough without mods, and some won't.

The reason people get "shaky" (engine suppliers in particular), about running alcohol is because it is hygroscopic and draws moisture right out of the air. If this happens, it can cause separation problems with the oil in the mix, and can cause corrosion in the engine as well. However, if you only use fresh fuel that has been stored in an air tight container, and always run your engine dry and use an after run oil, neither of these things should be a problem. Glow engines have been running for many years on alcohol, gasoline engines can do so as well. Zenoah even makes a glow plug adapter for their engines, and alcohol is commonly used in gasoline engines used in racing applications.

Yes, you can do away with the magneto completely; including the flywheel. The propeller offers plenty of flywheel effect and you don't need to run a flywheel when running electronic ignition or Gas/Glow.

AV8TOR

jadec241 01-17-2009 06:35 AM

If you need a spacer for the flywheel, try topcat1. He makes some great prop hubs & spacers. If you go on ebay look under rc planes & he usually has a add for anything you need to convert. He sells the plug adapter also.

fujiman 02-19-2009 03:32 AM

Hi guys, here's my 2 cents worth. back in the late 70's i bought what i thot was going to be a cheap way to get into gas engines. i bought a roper gas eng. new for about 30.00, stripped all un-neccessary stuff off it made a prop hub, left the mag. ign. on it, fired it up and HOLY SMOKE shook everything off my transmission rebuilding bench. vib'ed so bad the prop arc could not be seen!!! mounting this eng. onto an airplane was going to be impossible. i set it aside for a few years, i was real disappointed. i designed and commissioned a machinist friend of mine to fab. up a steel nose cone assy. that housed 3 alternator ball brgs, did away with the spark ign. sys. made a glo plug adapt. out of the old plug, (broke out the center stuff brazed up the hole, drilled and tapped the hole 10-32 tap. fab. another prop hub, fab. up a manifold with 2 perry non-pump carbs. inline with each other and rigged up a progressive type linkage, reministant of the old ford flat head v-8's with 2 carbs, filled up a fuel tank w/normal glo fuel and fired it up. made a totally diff. eng. out of it. ran super smooth, because it supported the crank with these 3 ball brgs. an didn't rely on the loose roller brg. up frt. it ran up with decent rpm's an idle super nice, OH and the progressive linkage on those 2 perrys worked out better than i had hoped for. it turned out to be a real fun project. does anyone know where i can pick up a carb. for running glo fuel. i have heard that the wt-199's where made for running glo. can't find any, they refer up to a wt-419-1. i have heard that the rubber parts in card. won't hold up to glo fuel. also that the fuel passages need to be enlarged to flo more oil content??????

fujiman 02-19-2009 03:44 AM

hi, it's me again. 1 more ? i have 2 2500 25cc tigres for a D.H. HORNET project i want to do. i want to run 2 walbro carbs in these to help with fuel delivery issues. any suggestions on this, and what carb. #s to use????

j_t01 03-01-2009 01:45 PM

I started a Stihl Fs75 on glow today. It started right up and needed little adjustment to get a very slow idle. My concern is that when I mixed the fuel 93 octane mobil with the 10/10 glow fuel it seemed to seperate in 30 seconds. The fuel turned pink from the glow dye but there was 1/3 clear fluid on top. Is this normal? It seemed to run fine.

jim

KI8FR 03-01-2009 02:44 PM

Did you add 2 stroke fuel in the gas before you added the glow fuel? You do not need to add oil to the fuel The oil in the glow fuel does the job. Mixing mixed gas and oil with glow fuel seems to do this..

Paul

j_t01 03-01-2009 02:51 PM

No. It was straight gas and glow.

Jim

av8tor1977 03-01-2009 03:08 PM

No, separation is uncommon, but definitely not ok. Try another gasoline.

You might also try adding an ounce or two of acetone to see if it helps it stay mixed.

AV8TOR

j_t01 03-01-2009 03:48 PM

OK. Thanks for the input. It didn't look good to me but wasn't sure. I'll try a different brand of gas and see what happens. It might be the winter fuel that we have here with additives.

jim

KI8FR 03-01-2009 05:02 PM

I have not had this problem before but I have heard people with it.
Paul

aero nut 03-06-2009 12:19 AM

Hi Converts I"m back after a long drought.
Maybe there is water in the gas!!!!! some gas stations add water to their gas to rip off people.
How is it going Bob still in peƱasco????
Saludos to Raquel and "the little preciuos one"
Bill A.K.A. Aero Nut. "To much work and no fun sucks"

av8tor1977 03-06-2009 12:54 AM

Good to hear from you Bill. Yep, we're still here in Penasco and everything is fine. Trying to save up the bucks to buy both a twin cylinder and single cylinder ignitions from you!

Take care,
Still have my e-mail? Does your club have a website?
AV8TOR

diesel278 03-19-2009 11:18 AM

first off let me thank you and the others for the experiments you all did for the gas/glow conversions i love it. i just have a couple of questions. how do you recommend storage for the mixed fuel and is it safe to stored mixed or should you just mix as you go? also you recommended using auto trans fluid as after run oil, if you could explain to me how this process works. do i try to run the engine dry with this oil in or just cycle it through the engine by hand? thanks for your time and keep up the great work guys!
scott
p.s. does elevation have any impact on this conversion?

av8tor1977 03-19-2009 11:32 AM

You are welcome. Sometimes the experimenting was trying, but it was always informative and fun.

As far as storage, I mix up three quarts at a time. One quart of the glow fuel to two quarts of the high test gas for three quarts total. As soon as you mix oil, (which is in the glow fuel) to gasoline, it starts going bad. I have a rule with man carrying Ultralight Airplanes that I don't fly with premixed gas that is over two weeks old, though a month is probably safe. I have used Gas/Glow fuel that is two months old, but I really recommend not using it if it is more than a month old.

When one suddenly has engine problems, what is it? Glow plug? Carb? Fuel system? Fuel? Then you have to take time to trouble shoot it. Best to fly with fresh fuel and remove that possible problem from the equation. Besides the gasoline going bad, if you are in a humid climate, everytime you open the container the methanol can absorb some water. Mix up what you can use in a month or less.

After run.... What I do is run the engine dry of fuel. Then I dribble some ATF into the carb, and give it a spin with the starter, or hand flip it several times. Close the carb throttle and choke and that's it.

Engines lose about 3 percent power per 1000' feet of density altitude. If anything, the Gas/Glow engine might "cheat" that just a bit because of the nitro, but I doubt if it would even be measureable.

Have fun,
AV8TOR

andrew66 03-19-2009 12:28 PM

hey, have you tried gas/glow without nitro? I was trying to see if someone has in the other thread, but its a loooooooooong read. The reason i ask, is im going to try it in a glow engine, but dont want the nitro, cause its hard on painted finishes (latex with polycrylic clear)
thanks.

av8tor1977 03-19-2009 12:52 PM

I haven't tried it without the nitro. I like nitro for both it's power adding ability, but also for it's beneficial effects on idle and transition. The nitro content is very low, (about 3 percent) in the Gas/Glow fuel; it might not affect your finishes. Try a test piece....

AV8TOR