Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

big lama spinning clock wise

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

big lama spinning clock wise

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:46 PM
bjethier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big lama spinning clock wise

Just got big lama back together to test. Had lost throttle. I replaced 3 in 1 and reciever. Finally replaced transmitter. Got it to work and put back together. Seems like top rotor not turning anywhere as fast as bottom. If hit throttle hard will just spin around on the ground. Is the problem in the 3 and 1 adjustment maybe? Hope someone can help again. thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Owner1

Default RE: big lama spinning clock wise

ORIGINAL: bjethier

Just got big lama back together to test. Had lost throttle. I replaced 3 in 1 and reciever. Finally replaced transmitter. Got it to work and put back together. Seems like top rotor not turning anywhere as fast as bottom. If hit throttle hard will just spin around on the ground. Is the problem in the 3 and 1 adjustment maybe? Hope someone can help again. thanks
I would look for a basic mechanical cause first. I've had my set screw loosen from the gear attached to the outer shaft, and it gave me identical symptoms. To test it, turn the BOL upside down, then manually spin the blades that are spinning slowly and note which gear turns. Now hold on to that gear and try to spin the blades again. If you can spin them while holding the blade still, then you have a loose gear set screw.

Owner1

Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again mate,

The same thing happened to me once - turns out that I had plugged the motors into the wrong sockets on 3in1 and twisted them to reverse polarity. It seems to be an easy thing to do......and very confusing.......but easy fixed - just unplug/replug them into the other sockets and twist the plugs so the rotors spin the correct directions. Bottom rotor clockwise - top rotor anti-clockwise (when "sitting" in the cockpit)

Hope this solves the prob

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Owner1
I would look for a basic mechanical cause first. I've had my set screw loosen from the gear attached to the outer shaft, and it gave me identical symptoms. To test it, turn the BOL upside down, then manually spin the blades that are spinning slowly and note which gear turns. Now hold on to that gear and try to spin the blades again. If you can spin them while holding the blade still, then you have a loose gear set screw.
....or loose pinion freely rotating on the motor shaft Had that happen also[&o]

Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 AM
bjethier

I want to thank you Pete for the help. I was hoping you'd get back to me.  I was going to start trying to adjust the 3 in 1,  but decided to back off and ask questions before I dug myself a hole. Glad I did.  I'll try these suggestions this afternoon and let you know. Have to get ready for doctor app.
Also like to thank owner1 for helping also.  Will be getting back. thanks  Butch
Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again Butch,

Do you have a video camera? Would help with diagnosing the "problem" mate

Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 AM
bjethier

Hey Peter,
Just getting ready for work, 6 am here.  I do have a video camera.  I think my main shaft may be bent. not  sure how I did it.  Haven't flown it in almost a year. switched wires on 3 in 1 and rotors turning same speed now.  tested with out housing and had bad vibration.  I think extreme main rod is bent, put I have used chopper I bought to get parts from.  Will get back to you after work.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM
bjethier

Hey Peter, 
Back from work, but a little late and don't feel like getting into the old heli tonight. Update is that I got the rotors working properly I think by reversing wires on the 3in1.  I tested with the shell off in garage and found that I had an lots of vibration.  Didn't try lifting off or anything.  Thought main shaft may be bent.  It's an extreme shaft.  I did replace the upper rotors with some upgrades I got off another heli I bought for parts.  Maybe that caused the vibrating. I left old ones on lower.  

I think the idea of a movie is good.  I'll try doing that before I tear it all down  and start replacing stuff. Maybe you'll see something.  Another day, Butch
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 PM
pgroom_68

Hey Peter,
Back from work, but a little late and don't feel like getting into the old heli tonight. Update is that I got the rotors working properly I think by reversing wires on the 3in1. I tested with the shell off in garage and found that I had an lots of vibration. Didn't try lifting off or anything. Thought main shaft may be bent. It's an extreme shaft. I did replace the upper rotors with some upgrades I got off another heli I bought for parts. Maybe that caused the vibrating. I left old ones on lower.

I think the idea of a movie is good. I'll try doing that before I tear it all down and start replacing stuff. Maybe you'll see something. Another day,
Hey again Butch,

Anytime mate! A movie would be good - from before spin-up for 2 or 3 seconds should be enough - with sound. To check if your inner shaft has bent, remove and roll on glass or a mirror or something (such as a desktop with the top-head stuck over the edge). If will show up more obviously if rolled on a known flat surface.........[sm=wink_smile.gif]

P.S. You have to reinstall the fuse before proper flight though so the CG is correct - but a benchtest is OK without it!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 PM
bjethier

Thanks Peter, I get back to you.  We will be flying again.  
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 AM
bjethier

hey Peter
This is a couple of videos if I can get them on.  Trying now. then I add info or questions. Have to get videos in first    I'm not sure, but I guess I have to put on utube first , right?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
bjethier

Hey Peter
Here's a couple of videos.  If you have any ideas or need a video of trying something, let me know. Gonna try upload videos now.

Not sure how to add videos. Hopefully this will work.

Thanks Peter

Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 PM
pgroom_68

Hey Peter
Here's a couple of videos. If you have any ideas or need a video of trying something, let me know. Gonna try upload videos now.

Not sure how to add videos. Hopefully this will work.

Thanks Peter

Hey again Butch,

Its times like this that I wish I was next door to you - I could have that bird running in a matter of mins.....[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
I think we can get this going for ya before your hand surgery mate

It looks to me like your inner shaft is not severely bent - that's great news!! (*phew*)[sm=52_52.gif] - but the screw under the bottom gear may not be tightened into the slot to stop it having slack......[sm=50_50.gif] To check this (with everything turned off - remember safety first!) grasp the head with one hand and try to stop the gear moving with the other - remember that the inner shaft and bottom gear drive the upper rotors (so the top gear drives the outer shaft up to the lower rotors[sm=wink_smile.gif])
The upper & lower rotors should begin within a couple of Tx clicks of eachother - but the top rotor will always stop spinning last due to the centrifugal forces of those weights at the ends of the flybar[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

That beeping sound is the electronics trying to tell ya that something is wrong That being said, my new BOL that I have just removed from its box has a similar sound - but quieter & solid - not "morse code".....this confuses me a little[sm=what_smile.gif] I hope that the correct spinning up of the rotors eliminates the "noise prob". Fingers crossed.
The red/green/red/green/red/green light on the side of 3in1 after you have switched off the Tx in the third video (the outdoor one with canopy on) just tells you that the Rx has lost signal - and is normal with the Tx off.....![sm=49_49.gif]

Read these instructions all the way through - and ask any questions before actually trying it:
Try this: Mark the top of both motor plugs with a marker - a dot will do! Unplug the top plug - hold it in one hand and unplug the bottom plug with the other hand. Plug the first (ex-top) into the bottom slot after "twisting" the plug upside down to reverse the polarity. Plug the other motor wire (ex-bottom) into the top slot after "twisting" the plug upside down to reverse polarity also.
Be careful when first spinning up that the rotors are turning opposite directions - the top rotor should turn CCW, and the bottom rotor should spin CW if you are looking down at the bird on the ground.
You wont damage the electronics by plugging/unplugging "hot" motor wires - so feel free to try some other combinations if this one doesn't make the rotors turn the correct directions mate! Just lower the throttle trim tab all the way first and put a large rubber band - attached one end to the steel frame passing around the rear of the Tx and slip the other end over the throttle-stick (this will ensure that your rotors do not accidently spin up). It's an old plank trick....... [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloQbpZ8GR0]Here's[/link] a video of someone else with this rubber band idea to show you what I mean - 1'52 shows you how it passes around the back

Tell me how it goes[sm=thumbs_up.gif] (or doesn't[])

Please lube your bird, preferably with labelle 107 plastic-safe oil - it will make it all-over smoother & quieter (& runs for longer eg. I regularly got 9½ mins from a standard Esky lipo)

P.S. "hot" means lipo battery plugged-in
P.P.S. polarity changes (+/-) will not hurt your motors - they can spin both directions nearly equally
P.P.P.S. (<- if there is such a thing[sm=regular_smile.gif]) The "flip-flop" polarity of the motor wires puzzles me also - there doesn't seem to be a norm. Three of my BOLs have opposite, and the other one has the same motor wires polarity[sm=confused_smile.gif]
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 AM
bjethier

Peter,
got your thread this morning, will read again after work. On my way to out to work. thanks. butch
Old 06-19-2011, 08:25 AM
bjethier

Okay Peter. 
Did everything you wrote about I think, except to oil her up.  I took some more movies to give you an idea how she's doing.  I think I have a vibration the may be caused by the shaft or something out of balance.  She still wants to spin around if i give the gas to her.  In the movie on the pool table the only time I use the throttle is when she spins around.  All the other times are just with the adjust or trim control.  I didn't crash it last to cause the shaft to bend, so was wandering if something out of balance.  Also, I go rid of that morse code beeping.  Just switching wires around and back and forth. Not sure what I did, but worked, thanks.  So I'm going to get some oil and not do anything else to it until I hear from you.  See if you have anymore ideas.  
This has nothing to do with the heli, but how do you get pics and movies downloaded on this, besides cut and paste link, like I do?

Here's my new movie, short but I think you get the idea. 

Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 PM
pgroom_68

Okay Peter.
Did everything you wrote about I think, except to oil her up. I took some more movies to give you an idea how she's doing. I think I have a vibration the may be caused by the shaft or something out of balance. She still wants to spin around if i give the gas to her. In the movie on the pool table the only time I use the throttle is when she spins around. All the other times are just with the adjust or trim control. I didn't crash it last to cause the shaft to bend, so was wandering if something out of balance. Also, I go rid of that morse code beeping. Just switching wires around and back and forth. Not sure what I did, but worked, thanks. So I'm going to get some oil and not do anything else to it until I hear from you. See if you have anymore ideas.
This has nothing to do with the heli, but how do you get pics and movies downloaded on this, besides cut and paste link, like I do?

Here's my new movie, short but I think you get the idea.

Hey again Butch,

Bummer mate I can see why you are so frustrated..... Do as owner1 suggested in post #2. If the screw under the bird is tightened onto the shaft correctly (onto the flat spot of inner shaft) we will try something else

It all depends on how you are replying to my posts mate. Above my last post is three options "reply, quote & forward". Click reply.
Pics are the easiest to show - under the rectangle that comes up in which you type is a link called "Click here to upload Images and Files". Click it and follow to where you have the pic on your comp. ONLY UPLOAD TWO PICS AT A TIME - THEN ANOTHER TWO - AND ANOTHER TWO. Just remember that the pic will not show in Preview - only when you finally click "OK" to post!
You have nearly done everything to get a video to show - the only thing to add is: Click the YouTube rectangle above your typing then paste the link between.......[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
eg. {YouTube}http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONIGn_n4gpo{/YouTube}. This is to embed it in your post!
To try this out here is a BOL video of mine: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VqwjPVn0y0[/youtube]

Old 06-20-2011, 05:06 AM
bjethier

Thanks Peter,
I wasn't even clicking ok "reply to message". This is much easier to follow. I try checking that screw again. Has to be a mechanical problem, not electrical or control. Butch