Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Need help setting ESC soft- start..

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Need help setting ESC soft- start..

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:28 PM
xodarap1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help setting ESC soft- start..

Hi,

Does anyone know the generic or standard ESKY ESC menu pattern to setup most ESC's that do not come with program cards?

All I have been able to find out so far is that by powering up the heli with everything connected with the throttle set at full (sounds scary, huh lol) the ESC should enter program mode.
After that, there should be beep patterns that come from the motor (which is cool) to let you know you have entered program mode.
To make changes to a setting, move the throttle to 1/2 stick.

What I don't know is how to tell which menu areas I would be setting and how to navigate the beep/menu system.
Are they all standard for soft-on ramp, brake etc?
I don't want to make any mistakes by setting the wrong pole for the motor.
All I'm really looking to do is set it for soft start and keep all the other stock settings the same as they are.
Any help would be great.
A link to a ESC setup page would be awesome.

*Of course I will doing this with the blades off the bird because full throttle to enter setup mode seems like a dicey way to enter a mode if it doesn't work lol.

Steve
Old 12-22-2007, 01:42 PM
J-MICHAEL

Default RE: Need help setting ESC soft- start..

*Of course I will doing this with the blades off the bird because full throttle to enter setup mode seems like a dicey way to enter a mode if it doesn't work lol.

Steve
Steve--

I was thinking the same, when I just was setting up my ecu on the Trex. I thought, geez...That's a scary thought if I did something wrong or not right, and watching the heli come alive would not be good for this noob !...Lol.. but everything worked out, took a couple times to get the beep code down, but wasn't so bad. Not familiar with the Esky process...But in time I will as the HBK2 is next in line for "New Family Members"...

Good luck,

-- Jeff
Old 12-22-2007, 02:52 PM
crimsonrain22

IM pretty sure the only setting on the esky speed controller are brake on or off. And when they are off you get 3 beeps when you plug it in.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:16 PM
xodarap1

Thanks for the reply. Since my post, I've learned that it is an EMAX 30A ESC and unfortunately it needs a program card (which must be ordered as an extra item for $10). I guess program cards for ESC's are great modern advances.. but only if you happen to have one lol. To me this is like buying a new car and then calling the dealership to have the dealership order in a key so you can unlock the hood of your car to change the air filter heheh. I sure would be happier at the moment if I could change this one soft start setting with beep codes and be done in a few minutes since I will never ever change any of the other programmed settings on the ESC.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 PM
KCinNC

yeah when i read to connect with TX at full throttle....1st thing that popped into my brain was ...WHAT IN THE $#@* ???

i should know by now.....what is meant by "soft start" ?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 PM
xodarap1

Soft start will let the larger heli's with more torque and larger blades spin up slowly instead of engaging at a low RPM instantly which can snap the blades back into the flybar or blade holders, which can damage the blades and put extra stress on the system. I just wish they would put some type of recessed micro dip switches on these ESC's so that you could instantly switch/toggle a few of the most common options. Not the aesthetic "playing music" on startup option lol, just 3 or so of the functional ones that most people typically set.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:39 AM
J-MICHAEL

I just wish they would put some type of recessed micro dip switches on these ESC's so that you could instantly switch/toggle a few of the most common options. Not the aesthetic "playing music" on startup option lol, just 3 or so of the functional ones that most people typically set.

Xodarap1--

I wondered the same thing...What happened to simplicity or convenience ?...

-- Jeff