Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 PM
pgroom_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

ORIGINAL: luis_madureira
I have the same problem... About 5 minutes go down.
Hey luis_madureira,

Which way did it rotate during its plunge to earth? CW or CCW[]

Peter
Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Ariete

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68
Not a bad idea IMO. Air cooling will help out anyway. How would you do it without making a mess of fuse? The funnel-like piece would have to have as large a hole as possible to allow as much air as possible. You might be onto something!
Peter
Peter,
I am not sure how I will cut the hole but I think I will use a plastic bottle to make the funnel like piece.

Fernando,
maybe a revolution is a bit too much, but does this forum have a polling tool?
you could set a poll to see how many of the Big Lamas are faulty and then send to Esky. If they care about their business they'll take action.

Gerardo
Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Ariete
Not a bad idea IMO. Air cooling will help out anyway. How would you do it without making a mess of fuse? The funnel-like piece would have to have as large a hole as possible to allow as much air as possible. You might be onto something!
Peter,
I am not sure how I will cut the hole but I think I will use a plastic bottle to make the funnel like piece.
Fernando,
maybe a revolution is a bit too much, but does this forum have a polling tool?
you could set a poll to see how many of the Big Lamas are faulty and then send to Esky. If they care about their business they'll take action.
Hey again Gerardo,

When considering this mod ensure that you are not creating drag on ONE side more than the other or in FF it will pull in that direction.

Peter
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM
luis_madureira

Hey luis_madureira,

Peter
Hey Peter,

Same happened with you. The upper rotor stopped and it dropped to the floor.

Luis
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Ariete

Hi all,
I saw a close up photo of the walkera 53Q and that decided me, you can see two slots over each motor.
At the end I just cut two holes (not so handyman). It doesn't look nice but it works, no more dropping to the floor.

Test flights:
- First flight with stock battery: 9 minutes.
- Second flight after 15 minutes to cool down motors with 1200ma battery: 10 minutes.
- Thirth flight, stock battery plus Flycamone2: 7 minutes.

Keep in mind that on doing this I have void my guaranty. And I am not implying that if anyone do the same will have the same results. But in any case, who wants a helicopter that drops to the ground?

Gerardo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67352.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1176000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64364.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1176001  
Old 04-09-2009, 12:53 AM
pgroom_68

Hey luis_madureira,
Hey Peter,
Same happened with you. The upper rotor stopped and it dropped to the floor.
Hey again Luis,

My BOL is flying fine! No modding required - so far - but other people had a problem (it seems with the electronics shutting down due to excessive heat) and one person had a CW rotation & another a CCW rotation. I guess it was just the stronger path that switched off last.

Peter
P.S. I got about 7½ minutes fly time with a FlyCamOne2 - not charged yet - just experimenting a little!

Name:	Pn37584.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1176253  
Old 04-09-2009, 01:40 AM
RC_Addiction

I'm so Glad that your method worked for you Gerardo!!! En hora buena !!!

I will take my theory of [[heat conducting epoxy + heatsink + 3in1 = cooler diodes with no crazy drops]] to the practice tomorrow after work.

If my method (may take up to two days to let epoxy solidify completely) does not work ,i will try Gerardo's for sure!

I just can't convince myself yet to open two big holes onto the cabin even though mine had had a lot of abuse already...my cabin is like a frankestain. hahaha!!!

Thanks Peter and all of you guys for your helpful and honest opinions and advices.

I'll keep you all updated about my success or failure. In the meantime here's some pics i just took before bed about my project. See you soon.

P.D. Peter, it would be cool to watch an arial video taken with your flycamone2 !!!

Name:	Ge96785.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1176306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41089.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1176307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18509.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1176308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30356.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1176309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60308.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1176310  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 AM
downunderdog

Yeah, come on Peter! Let's see the arial video!!! You've got the camera, now get it charged and strap it on and get some footage! It's supposed to be sunny all Easter weekend here - hopefully we'll get some calm days with no wind.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 AM
aerobob427

Some BOL video...

My first FlycamOne2 video, admittedly a little jumpy. I have since worked out the vibrations:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lehIZlxlEA[/youtube]

Bob
Old 04-09-2009, 08:56 AM
aerobob427

Now here's what the Flycam can do with lower vibration. This was taken from my electric sport plane:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K75Pvd3_J8I[/youtube]
Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: downunderdog
Yeah, come on Peter! Let's see the arial video!!! You've got the camera, now get it charged and strap it on and get some footage! It's supposed to be sunny all Easter weekend here - hopefully we'll get some calm days with no wind.
Hey again DUD,

Slow and careful. I don't want to stuff up my chance at showing the big bosses just what rc is capable of.[sm=tongue_smile.gif] Also they have given me a modest budget - and I don't think a second FlyCamOne2 would be covered AND have enough dosh left to pay a real heli crew if it all goes bad...

Peter
P.S. Also, just remembered, I have one set of blades left. But I may be able to charge & get some prelim footage from a vehicle to post!
P.P.S. I have already ordered three sets of blades from RC-711.com & a couple more 2G memory cards from Aussie site already - just awaiting delivery...

UPDATE: Just read it back and it sounds like a lot of excuses - just they are real reasons - honestly!
Also, ebayAustralia has this Melbourne-based store stocking a few (12) BOL spares now [link=http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/OZRcmodel_Big-lama_W0QQ_fsubZ704773012QQ_sidZ807021582QQ_trksidZ p4634Q2ec0Q2em322]OZRcmodel ebay store[/link]
- worth a look!

Peter
P.S. Here is an aerial shot of my campus as it stands... we are gonna be undergoing major construction starting soon!

Name:	Tr51001.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1176816  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: aerobob427
Some BOL video...
My first FlycamOne2 video, admittedly a little jumpy. I have since worked out the vibrations:
Hey again Bob,

Nice! Could you detail how you "worked out vibrations" on BOL (as I don't have a plane). I can compare notes and see which is the best method. Even a pic will do.

Peter
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Ber60

Hi Guy's

I am searching for a online-store who still has the 3in1 and the fuselage in stock it seems they are all sold out or only sell one of the two.

Thanks
Erwin
Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM
pgroom_68

Hey all,

It is nearing the middle of April. ANYONE heard of a date for Xtreme Productions BLADES yet?
I'M KINDA WAITING

Peter
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Ber60
Hi Guy's
am searching for a online-store who still has the 3in1 and the fuselage in stock it seems they are all sold out or only sell one of the two.
Thanks
Hey again Erwin,

I'm searching all my bookmarks for ya!

Peter

UPDATE: You're right about my main 6 sites! Found one bookmarked though - X-heli has got both! [link=http://www.xheli.com/eskybiglama.html]here's a link[/link] US$53.23 before shipping
Old 04-09-2009, 08:55 PM
aerobob427

Hi Peter,

I simply used double-sided foam tape and stuck the camera to the front of the fuselage instead of underneath. The fuselage is already mechanically insulated to a large degree from the vibration in the chassis and undercarriage. This is especially true of my particular BOL because of the way I mounted the MD500 fuse. I used small diameter rubber tubing and small screws go in from outside the fuse into the tubing, which is slid over the fiberglass rods that normally hold the fuse in place. Video came out much clearer.

Bob
Old 04-09-2009, 09:57 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again Bob,

Have you viewed [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_2BC6ox8Bw&feature=channel]this mount[/link] for your BOL yet?

I have made this mount with another layer to help insulate the cam from vibration - If I can, I will be testing it out this weekend, but I DON'T WANT TO TRY FLYING MY BIG LAMA OUTSIDE, (and for whatever reason) CRASH MY LAST SET OF BLADES - JUST TO FIND THAT XTREME RELEASES THEIR BLADES NEXT WEEK, OR THE WEEK AFTER[]

Peter
P.S. My mission today is to locate a Lipo Voltage Indicator (with LEDs - just like in video @ 1:22-1:34). Any help would be appreciated!

Name:	Nl29902.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1176908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22656.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1176909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17070.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1176910  
Old 04-10-2009, 07:37 AM
downunderdog

Hey Peter...

This one looks pretty good, but a lot of the comments complain that it's not accurate enough (0.03V accuracy for the individual cell readings):

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...y_Monitor_2-6S

This one looks pretty high tech (but USD$12.95, and possibly heavier than the others at 12g):

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...itor_2-6S_Lipo

This one just lights different colors at different voltages, and sounds an alarm below 9V... it does look like it would be the lightest of the bunch, though:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ery_Monitor_3S
Old 04-10-2009, 07:54 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: downunderdog
Hey Peter...
This one looks pretty good, but a lot of the comments complain that it's not accurate enough (0.03V accuracy for the individual cell readings):
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...y_Monitor_2-6S
This one looks pretty high tech (but USD$12.95, and possibly heavier than the others at 12g):
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...itor_2-6S_Lipo
This one just lights different colors at different voltages, and sounds an alarm below 9V... it does look like it would be the lightest of the bunch, though:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ery_Monitor_3S
Hey again DownUnderDog,

Wow, thanks mate! A choice of three - now that's going to be helpful. And they are in HongKong too! Just close to us.

Peter

UPDATE: Just ordered the maxpro (third option) - it has LED and buzzer!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:35 PM
scaldarera

I have had my BL for several weeks now and have had several good flights. Today I had trouble getting it to go beyond two feet off the ground. I gave it full throttle and still only two feet off the ground. At first I thought it was a low battery, but got another fully charged and still the same problem.
I appreciate any suggestions about what you think is going on and what to do about it.

Sam[]
Old 04-10-2009, 11:07 PM
tkeeg

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BARRY.E

ORIGINAL: tkeeg

Successful 2.4 Conversion on Big Lama
Well after burning out two Spektrum AR6100 receivers in my attempts to convert my Big Lama to 2.4 GHz so I could use my DX7 transmitter, I finally had success! I can’t say for certain, but It seems that the micro circuitry in the AR6100 is not strong enough to handle the amperage from the 370 size motors and blew out the rudder channel in both of my micro receivers during each of my attempts. (Yes, two receivers and $100.00 out the window).
Today I tried again, only this time is used the heavier Spektrum AR7000 receiver. I plugged the throttle lead coming from the 3-in-1 into the throttle channel on the receiver. I plugged the rudder lead coming from the 3-in-1 into the rudder channel on the receiver and plugged the aileron & elevator servos into their respective channels on the receiver, (just like I did with the micro AR6100 receiver), but this time with the larger, heavier AR7000 receiver, it all worked perfectly!
I took the Big Lama for a test spin and everything worked great. Now I have expo control and can set more servo throw by increasing my end point adjustments on the transmitter.
The weight of this receiver, along with its satellite antenna came out to 18 grams on my scale. I weighed the Esky 6 channel FM receiver that came with the Big Lama, along with the antenna wire and the drinking straw that I used to feed the antenna through my fuselage, and that was also 18 grams. (So no more weight than the stock FM set up).
One thing to keep in mind, the AR7000 receiver will not work unless the satellite antenna is plugged into it. I Put some sticky backed Velcro on it and stuck it to the inside floor at the tip of the nose of the helicopter. It flies great with no balance problems.
Tom
Hi Tom,

Your Big Lama 2.4 conversion sounds great, gets rid of that long Rx antenna in the fuse and the eye poking Tx ant, i'm thinking of trying the same with my DX7 and AR7000, did you use Acro or Heli? and what settings did you use in the menu's, is your AR7000 still standing up the 370 motors? Any help much app.
Barry
Hi Barry,
Sorry that I did not see your question until just now. I've been busy with a new project and have not been on this forum since you posted your question on 3-25-09 and I’m just trying to catch up tonight.
I used the Arco setting and I am using the default end points (100) except for elevator. I put that to (150) and it gives me more forward speed I can handle. I have had well over a hundred flights and everything is holding up perfectly. I couldn't be more pleased. I have a perfect signal lock with NO glitches!
If you have any other questions and I’m not on the forum, jut PM me and I should get an email notification and will respond when I can.
Tom
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: scaldarera
I have had my BL for several weeks now and have had several good flights. Today I had trouble getting it to go beyond two feet off the ground. I gave it full throttle and still only two feet off the ground. At first I thought it was a low battery, but got another fully charged and still the same problem.
I appreciate any suggestions about what you think is going on and what to do about it.
Hey Sam,

I'll give it a stab! I think your motors are on the way out..... but, before you order two more - did you have heatsink(s) on them? Have you checked the gear meshes between pinion & main gear (x2) have not moved in a "heavy landing" and become to tight?
I don't know how much of a novice you are to this, so I can only offer my suggestions.

Happy flying mate

Peter
Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 AM
scaldarera

Hi Peter,

There are no heat sinks on the motors and I was wondering the same thing. I will also check the gears. I'll give it another try today and let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Sam
Old 04-11-2009, 12:21 PM
BARRY.E

Thanks Tom, I guessed you may have gone with acro, I'll go with acro and keep you posted.

Thanks Again,

Barry
Old 04-11-2009, 06:40 PM
pgroom_68

Hey guys,

Having trouble with my FlyCamOne2. In particular the SD card. The seller (brand new) included a 2GB microSD card & adapter with every FlyCamOne2 he sold - and when I insert it, it just goes all the way in and springs out about three-quarter way again. There is no "stop" or ridge to hold it in. My son has an SD card, so I tried that instead and there is no diff.
Is this correct, and if so - do I just push it in and tape it nearly all the way in?? I have emailed the seller already.

Hey again Sam,

You have two choices IMO - you can go with another set of the originals (this is the easy option) - but they may only last you another few weeks - or you can use this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8519627]list of materials[/link] and these [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8467970]instructions to rebuild[/link] your BOL so it has more power and less heat buildup. The Xtreme 380 motors x2 that I got are from USHobbySupply.com, [I will drop in a link if you want] and the heatsinks from an Aussie On-line store - I think you can get appropriate heatsinks from USHobbySupply.com also... not sure about light blue colour though!?! I returned to that store and added another two heatsinks - making two for each motor 'cause you can't have enough heat dissipation IMHO.

Peter
P.S. I've just been to USHobby and they are Out-of-Stock on the Xtreme 380 motors - but have heatsinks (plus a newer type - $3.99 in blue). You may only have to buy two instead of four heatsinks now. Try Miracle-mart.com - for Xtreme products now - until Michael @ USHobby restocks......
P.P.S I've just been to Miracle-mart.com and came across a pinion-puller that you will need if going the Xtreme motor way....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.