RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Esky Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/)
-   -   Honeybee King v2 tuner shop (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/6043372-honeybee-king-v2-tuner-shop.html)

gpach 03-08-2008 12:59 PM

RE: Honeybee King v2 tuner shop

Sticky Swash

New to the HBKII, I am running HS55's on the swash and am finding the heli seems to have a delay/sticky swash in the pitch aspect. I have changed the feathering shaft for the harder one from US hobby. Running woodies with the blade grips somewhat tighter than the machine came. (grips still rotate freely and smoothly). Not sure what the potential cause may be. There is a slight amount of slop in the HS55 gears (backlash) and some play in the swash itself. Holding a hover, I can increase the pitch/throttle slightly, no response, again a bit of increase, no response then suddenly it will climb. Same thing downside.

Got caught at the park this AM from about 15' (didnt increase pitch fast enough?) and find the heli wont fly very well after you scrap a lot of the plastic covering off the woodies!:D

Anyone have any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

osterizer 03-08-2008 01:10 PM

The HS55s ought to work fine (they did on mine, if a little slower than I like). It really sounds like mechanical binding. That could be the grips. I'd be disconnecting the servos and making sure everything is free to move.

A small amount of play in the swash and in the HS55 output is normal as long as it's small.

crashcrash 03-08-2008 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: gpach

Sticky Swash

New to the HBKII, I am running HS55's on the swash and am finding the heli seems to have a delay/sticky swash in the pitch aspect. I have changed the feathering shaft for the harder one from US hobby. Running woodies with the blade grips somewhat tighter than the machine came. (grips still rotate freely and smoothly). Not sure what the potential cause may be. There is a slight amount of slop in the HS55 gears (backlash) and some play in the swash itself. Holding a hover, I can increase the pitch/throttle slightly, no response, again a bit of increase, no response then suddenly it will climb. Same thing downside.

Got caught at the park this AM from about 15' (didnt increase pitch fast enough?) and find the heli wont fly very well after you scrap a lot of the plastic covering off the woodies!:D

Anyone have any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've had this problem too. Won't lift but after a certan point....it jets upward in a hurry. All I can tell you is to raise or lower the swash about 1/8th"...see if it smooths out. You have a "binding point" going on. I found that lowering the swash and re-setting pitch clears it up. It's not a 5 minuet fix......you gotta play with it till it clears up, and you might go through 3-5 batteries before you find the happy place for the swash.

dclass01 03-08-2008 01:49 PM

Are you using the AR6200 and using it on a Honeybee King II? I hook mine up and now all the servos are off.

homeunt 03-08-2008 01:50 PM

with my next pay cheque, I'm thinking of upgrading my hbk2 motor, could somebody list me what I need for 3100kv esky BL motor?

I would appreciate for more help. I read a thread saying that there had to be tail adjustment for the brushless adjustment. Could someone direct me to instruction for upgrade?

gpach 03-08-2008 02:55 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am running an AR6100E on it. I went and had a look at it before flying it again and noticed that the hoop type linkarms that go around the blade grips were actually rubbing on the blade grips. Not sure if its a concern. The blade grips are very free, not binding. This was one of the first things I checked. From new the blade grips were extremely loose and the heli had a very "spongy" feel to aileron or elevator inputs. Tightening up the grips helped this.

After recharging my battery I took the king into the back yard and managed to have it try to attack me/deck railing. I now will be waiting till my ALUBLING kit comes and replace everything with AL. The tough as nails feathering shaft isnt "tough as my deck railing"!. :D

Took it back to the hanger and looked through my spares and the part I broke is not one I bought.

While looking through the spares I noticed that in the Esky spare blade grip package there is a couple of brass sleeves/spacers. Checked the manual and they dont show on the exploded diagram. Pulled my blade grips off and there were non installed on the heli orginally. They appear to fit perfectly on the feathering shaft and could be used to space the blade grips out about 1-2mm on each side. Has anyone noticed them or know what they are meant for. When I installed the extreme blades and tightened the feathering shaft, the roots of the blades would jam on the tips of the feathering shafts.

Great weather for spring flying

crashcrash 03-08-2008 03:10 PM

The tough as nails feathering shaft isnt "tough as my deck railing"!.

LOL.......the HBKII wasn't designed to be a frigg'in LOG SPLITTER....:D

osterizer 03-08-2008 03:18 PM

My MX450 trimmed my hedges pretty well..... :)

gpach 03-08-2008 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

You got that right!, My railing is aluminum!, I was sitting right beside the post it hit and I had a "Panic-Attack". I think people call it dumb-thumb. Anyway, remebered the kill switch about as it hit the post. Next time will fly it at the park instead of my postage stamp sized back yard.

Still curious on the brass spacers that come with the blade grip spare package.

crashcrash 03-08-2008 04:31 PM

You got that right!, My railing is aluminum!, I was sitting right beside the post it hit and I had a "Panic-Attack". I think people call it dumb-thumb. Anyway, remebered the kill switch about as it hit the post. Next time will fly it at the park instead of my postage stamp sized back yard.

Still curious on the brass spacers that come with the blade grip spare package.

Don't quote me because I MIGHT be confusing this with a different make of heli. On the early type grips, they used a brass spacer between the bearings in the grip. The later type was modified and don't require the spacers. I just checked the manual...I didn't see the brass spacer in the grip....dunno.

gpach 03-08-2008 04:39 PM

Thanks crash, just got PM from stump and he may have the part I need so can get back up and going. If so I will try to install the brass spacers between the inner bearing race and the metal washer that pushes up against the dampers. This will widen the grips by 2-4 mm. Beyond that just need some more woodies. Does anyone know if Blade CP pro woodies fit? Can get them locally.

crashcrash 03-08-2008 05:00 PM

Thanks crash, just got PM from stump and he may have the part I need so can get back up and going. If so I will try to install the brass spacers between the inner bearing race and the metal washer that pushes up against the dampers. This will widen the grips by 2-4 mm. Beyond that just need some more woodies. Does anyone know if Blade CP pro woodies fit? Can get them locally.

LMAO....I've done it. Your headspeed will increase dramatically and throw your rudder trim but in a pinch....useable.

osterizer 03-08-2008 06:47 PM

Glad I'm not the only one that's used them. Ran out of ESky once and I still had Blade parts. Flew like one of those little dervish things you get in novelty stores :).

crashcrash 03-08-2008 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: osterizer

Glad I'm not the only one that's used them. Ran out of ESky once and I still had Blade parts. Flew like one of those little dervish things you get in novelty stores :).

In a yank of despiration...took a walk on the wild side (LOL). All I had to do is tone down the headspeed and move the rudder servo...golden till the stock woodies come in. YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW WHAT I'M RUNNING FOR A TAIL ROTOR SHAFT/PULLEY on my MX-400 right now(LMAO). It takes 7 days to get parts...I ain't waiting that long, and it's flying GOOD.

lohchief 03-08-2008 09:27 PM

Chainsaw maybe ??;)
-lohchief

crashcrash 03-08-2008 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: lohchief

Chainsaw maybe ??;)
-lohchief
Tried using my HBKII serveral times as a sawzall to cut through the steel pipe supports in my basment....never even scratched the pipe. They don't make bi-metal blades for the HBKII yet though.

noobflyer01 03-08-2008 10:07 PM

hi guys...ive had my king2 for a month now. never flown anything before that. this is my first heli. i got it hovering tail in for the last 2-3 weeks no prob. whats the next step should i take to continue my learning without being too difficult. I was thinking about learning to hover left side in. suggestions. oh yeah i've tried the simulator and its ok but its no subtitue for the real thing. any suggestions are welcomed. if you have stories about your first learning experiences lets hear it.

King 2 . 3100kv bl - 25a esc - esky head lock gyro - dx6

crashcrash 03-08-2008 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

hi guys...ive had my king2 for a month now. never flown anything before that. this is my first heli. i got it hovering tail in for the last 2-3 weeks no prob. whats the next step should i take to continue my learning without being too difficult. I was thinking about learning to hover left side in. suggestions. oh yeah i've tried the simulator and its ok but its no subtitue for the real thing. any suggestions are welcomed. if you have stories about your first learning experiences lets hear it.

King 2 . 3100kv bl - 25a esc - esky head lock gyro - dx6
I suggest a little L/R side in hover, then out side, fly it past you and fly it back past you side in the whole time....working your way to flying out 50yds, turn 180 and fly it back to you, then fly it out 50yds in the other direction, 180, fly it back to you again...this preps for flying a circle around yourself and establishing a pattern type flight.

kd5boc 03-09-2008 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
WOOHAA...Flies like a champ now!!! Only adjustments I had to make were fabbing a new anti-rotation bracket, replacing the stock servo ball-links with the ones supplied, shortening everything, and changing my end-points to I don't max the thing out.

Started to get scared until I realized that EVERYTHING had to be adjusted.

....and yes...my stock anti-rotation bracket is still on there...just in case. lol :)

crashcrash 03-09-2008 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: kd5boc

WOOHAA...Flies like a champ now!!! Only adjustments I had to make were fabbing a new anti-rotation bracket, replacing the stock servo ball-links with the ones supplied, shortening everything, and changing my end-points to I don't max the thing out.

Started to get scared until I realized that EVERYTHING had to be adjusted.

....and yes...my stock anti-rotation bracket is still on there...just in case. lol :)

Looks great:D:D:D

boatchief 03-09-2008 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the copter X upgrade but with the stock radio I'm only getting about 8 degrees pitch in both directions. My DX7 is in the mail with my new blades I don't know how it is going to fly. My extreme blades did the damage with some help from me that is when I decided to upgrade. But after the upgrade I finally noticed that I broke one of the extreme blades right next to the blade grip.

crashcrash 03-09-2008 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: boatchief

I did the copter X upgrade but with the stock radio I'm only getting about 8 degrees pitch in both directions. My DX7 is in the mail with my new blades I don't know how it is going to fly. My extreme blades did the damage with some help from me that is when I decided to upgrade. But after the upgrade I finally noticed that I broke one of the extreme blades right next to the blade grip.
Chief....you still running a RATE gyro? AFter running the 0704A HHG....I'll never go back to a rate gyro. Makes things soooooooooo much nicer and for under $40 to my door? Hey....I dont care if its Tele-Bee or what, HHG is a MAJOR improvement.

The DX7 will really open doors for head settings...you'll love it. BTW....I never broke a set of extreams to date (LOL)...it would be pretty tough to do that.

boatchief 03-09-2008 12:17 PM

I have a Telebee gyro coming with the DX7 but to tell the truth before the crash I never had a problem with the tail it was rock steady it could be that I'm new to heli's but I was able to hover tail in for the two battery's that I had I crashed it after pushing my abilities past where there are. I can build and setup better than I can fly.

PS I could hardly control the HBK2 before my first upgrades A BL motor and ESC and A 43 tooth pulley don't know witch helped more did both at the same time.

crashcrash 03-09-2008 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: boatchief

I have a Telebee gyro coming with the DX7 but to tell the truth before the crash I never had a problem with the tail it was rock steady it could be that I'm new to heli's but I was able to hover tail in for the two battery's that I had I crashed it after pushing my abilities past where there are. I can build and setup better than I can fly.

PS I could hardly control the HBK2 before my first upgrades A BL motor and ESC and A 43 tooth pulley don't know witch helped more did both at the same time.
HBKII LIKES 450 tail rotor blades (before the 43T mod), and the HHG made my HBKII too snappy and I had to lower the rate to 45% for normal but good control. As stock....my tail was sluggish and before the HHG, I kicked rate up to 125%...it worked to a degree pretty good. Once you figure out the DX7 and you get a feel for the HHG....you'll be super pleased. BL motor is the first and most important upgrade from stock. Better headspeed and tail improves with that...you didn't go wrong.

boatchief 03-09-2008 05:43 PM

This may be a dumb question but if I have 0 degrees pitch when all the servo horns are at 90 degrees and the trims are set to the middle except for the throttle which is set all the way at the bottom on a stock transmitter and I still can't get 10 degrees of pitch pos or neg. is this something I will be able to adjust with a DX7 to get more servo movement.

P.S. the swash is level and I marked the antirotation bracket with a grease pencil before I did any changes I am still on the mark and level with all the changes.