Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Looking for Les Saxby and Derek Giles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 03:32 PM
Lessaxbyson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I know the last post was some 8 years ago but I thought I’d just update.
my dad Les Saxby is now 81 with dementia and is currently in a nursing home now.
it’s so nice to hear that his and Derek Giles engines are still sort after and very well known. There still are a few of my dads engines still floating about and I’m pleased to say that I still have three of them which I have no plans of getting rid of them.
engineers like my dad and Derek Giles are just not around anymore and legends in their own right.
my dad has always been my hero and always will be because of what he taught me.
I'm a toolmaker by trade but unfortunately took a slightly different root in my career with engineering.
but I’m more than happy to answer anymore questions and a big thank you for everyone’s kind words about my dads work.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:20 PM
modellersdaughter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Derek Giles's daughter here!

Im sorry to hear that Les Saxby is in a nursing home with dementia - please pass on our regards to your family
You're right they are both legends in their own right.
My dad is 86 and in good health at home with my mum. He prefers not to venture out too much these days and doesn't do any aeromodelling- a great shame. He watches YouTube - the clips from the Nationals and Old Warden meetings, various other nostalgic clips where he can smile and remember his flying mates.
Good to hear from you.
Best wishes.