Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Club PAW

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:29 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my PAW 35 BR from Eric Clutton, I'm in love
Old 02-07-2018, 10:15 PM
sw74gls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interest in 3rd picture down.

Hi I am really interested in the `3rd model down which you are showing, the Rocket type orange and yellow model I find it fascinating, could you please tell me where I could possibly get the Plans to this model please plus it's name, I would be very grateful for your help, many thanks Simon.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 PM
sw74gls

Hi I am really interested in the `3rd model down which you are showing, the Rocket type orange and yellow model I find it fascinating, could you please tell me where I could possibly get the Plans to this model please plus it's name, I would be very grateful for your help, many thanks Simon.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 PM
ffkiwi

Default 'rocket model'

If you are referring to the models shown on page one of this thread, then the 'rocket like ' model is an APS 'Windbag' (actually a 'Model Aircraft' plan-but Aeromodeller absorbed 'Model Aircraft' from Jan 1966-so the plans service contains plan originating in both magazines)-it is MA 386-and still apparently available: Free Flight Unorthodox Various people have produced scaled up versions over the years but AFAIK only the original sized one is available as a full sized plan. Presumably Traplet in the UK would be your best source for the plan

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 02-10-2018, 02:08 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sw74gls
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8632
Old 02-10-2018, 12:36 PM
ffkiwi

Default APS Windbag

Whilst my earlier reply was correct in detail-a bit of internet digging indicates that the Colin Read 'Windbag' design is not original and is closely based on earlier designs by Roy L.Clough in the US who called his a 'Martian Spaceship'-it is possible that there are plans for this-or enlarged versions as well out there-though they may be a bit harder to locate....a google search under that title turns up some interesting images.....

I can state with certainty though that the APS 'Windbag' flies remarkably well, as I've witnessed one flying at first hand (at the NZ Nats way back in '86)

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

PS I can't help thinking though that enquiries along these lines might be better addressed in the vintage forums...
Old 02-12-2018, 10:34 PM
sw74gls

Thank you for all your help guys, really appreciate it Simon.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:59 AM
controlliner

I ran my PAW 35 BR R/C yesterday. Wow! the new fully metered carb is amazing. The engine will idle down to 1,900 on an 11X4. A long way from the older version carb.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:15 AM
iAlex

Figured some may be interested in this.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/v...engine-factory
Old 02-26-2018, 06:55 PM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting that, it was very cool to watch! I'm a big PAW fan, and it was nice to see where they come from. I found it on Google Maps some time ago, but it won't show the inside of the building, of course.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:14 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My PAW collection. SURE would like to find/purchase a PAW .49 TBR RC with the red/purple Anodized cylinder!

From L to R: PAW .60 TBR RC, .40 TBR RC, .35 TBR RC, .09 BR, .06 BR RC, .049 BR RC
Old 05-11-2022, 08:15 AM
wheelerdan1324

Default My First post on Club PAW

I am Dan Rawlings. I have corresponded with a few people who appear on this thread but this is my first deliberate post here.
I am been a diesel tinkerer my whole life. I am the only person at my R/C who flies them at my club. I have 3 E.D by West engines, a DDD converted OS40 FP, and a whole flock of PAW. Over the years I have owned dozens but the ED and the PAW are my current focus. By queer set of circumstance I now have one PAW of each crankcase size of the PAWs + Tony's very last twin. The EDs are a 25. 36, and 53. all engines are R/C.
The problem in the US has always been a fuel supply. Again by fortune I was able to buy 6 gallons of the last of the DDD fuel from the supplier. I also have a stockpile of John Deer starting fluid, castor, and so forth, so I imagine I will be set for a while.
I just love the way diesel produce powder. My original goal was to duplicate glow 4 Stroke performance in a better package. Frankly it is an easy goal to achieve. The PAW R/C engines in particular are especially suited toward this end.

I know very little about 2 cycle timing, but can infer from comments that diesel can be made to perform as above or with different set ups more or less equal to glow engines, all the way up to very high RPM applications. For example Tony at PAW recently told me he built a 29 sized engine for a heli which makes over 20,000 RPM. Suffice to say, I would love to lean more about how timing changes diesel performance.

when Covid 19 hit in earnest in my part of the world the isolations translated into and opportunity to build. I completed a QB10, A Miss Martha, and Two R/C Specials (Bill Winter). The Specials have a 40 TBR and a 49 TBR respectively, The QB will get my PAW 09. The Miss Martha may get the ED 36, but that is TBD. I am also resurrecting a Skylark 56 which will probably get a PAW 29/35.

Comments welcomed.

Dan
Old 05-11-2022, 10:17 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Dan, I flew a PAW 40 in a VK Nieuport 17 and liked it except for the mess and smell. I still have smaller diesels up to .12 but I decided not to continue with the larger ones. I too still have castor and John Deere starting fluid, but have not run my diesels in awhile. I really liked my PAW .033 and .061 and I'm sure I'll fly them again.

I'll just comment on the Skylark 56. I flew mine (a very old one built in the 1960s) on an OS 25 FP. It originally had a Cox 15 medallion. It was RET, and I was not happy with it, contrary to many others who like the plane. I felt it did not have enough dihedral (which was stock) to turn well on rudder, and not sufficient fin for the amount of dihedral, causing some dutch roll. I increased the rudder size, but still got the roll and poor turn control. Then I sawed off much of the trailing edge of the wing and hinged it for ailerons. This made for very narrow ailerons, but turned it into a very nice flying plane. I also moved the CG a bit forward (it's pretty far back on the old plans) and that eliminated the dutch roll. Why? I think because it put more side area aft of the CG. I flew the plane a lot until the old silk gave out.

Jim
Old 05-11-2022, 10:31 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

While I haven't found that model diesels provide an equal or better alternative to glow or gas, I LOVE running them and would continue to do so on the bench IF there was a commercially available diesel fuel.
I have mixed my own fuel with inconsistent results and simply don't like dealing with the chemicals required.
It is unfortunate that a lack of fuel further limits the popularity of compression-ignition engines.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:22 AM
[email protected]

Originally Posted by wheelerdan1324
I am Dan Rawlings. I have corresponded with a few people who appear on this thread but this is my first deliberate post here.
I am been a diesel tinkerer my whole life. I am the only person at my R/C who flies them at my club. I have 3 E.D by West engines, a DDD converted OS40 FP, and a whole flock of PAW. Over the years I have owned dozens but the ED and the PAW are my current focus. By queer set of circumstance I now have one PAW of each crankcase size of the PAWs + Tony's very last twin. The EDs are a 25. 36, and 53. all engines are R/C.
The problem in the US has always been a fuel supply. Again by fortune I was able to buy 6 gallons of the last of the DDD fuel from the supplier. I also have a stockpile of John Deer starting fluid, castor, and so forth, so I imagine I will be set for a while.
I just love the way diesel produce powder. My original goal was to duplicate glow 4 Stroke performance in a better package. Frankly it is an easy goal to achieve. The PAW R/C engines in particular are especially suited toward this end.

I know very little about 2 cycle timing, but can infer from comments that diesel can be made to perform as above or with different set ups more or less equal to glow engines, all the way up to very high RPM applications. For example Tony at PAW recently told me he built a 29 sized engine for a heli which makes over 20,000 RPM. Suffice to say, I would love to lean more about how timing changes diesel performance.

when Covid 19 hit in earnest in my part of the world the isolations translated into and opportunity to build. I completed a QB10, A Miss Martha, and Two R/C Specials (Bill Winter). The Specials have a 40 TBR and a 49 TBR respectively, The QB will get my PAW 09. The Miss Martha may get the ED 36, but that is TBD. I am also resurrecting a Skylark 56 which will probably get a PAW 29/35.

Comments welcomed.

Dan
Dan where in the US do you live? Jack Hiner North Illinois.