Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Glow Plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Glow Plug

I am finishing a Little Toni with an OS91 Ducted Fan engine. What glow plug are people using with DF engines with props on them? I plan to prop it to about 19000 on the ground, which is a little low for these engines, but I am not looking for the last MPH and I think the engine might last a little longer. I plan to run 30% with some casteroil added to bring it up to about 21-22%.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glow Plug

For 30% nitro K&B HP Glow Plugs http://www.mecoa.com/acc/glowplug/glowplug.htm

For 15% OS #8

Don't run these engines too cool/rich at break-in, richer than you would like to fly it would be about right, good smoke.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Pylonracr

Thanks for the info
Scott
Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pylonracr

I am finishing a Little Toni with an OS91 Ducted Fan engine. What glow plug are people using with DF engines with props on them? I plan to prop it to about 19000 on the ground, which is a little low for these engines, but I am not looking for the last MPH and I think the engine might last a little longer. I plan to run 30% with some caster oil added to bring it up to about 21-22%.

Thanks.

With what prop? Sounds like about a 10-10? Watch them rpm versus prop diameter.

An option is Merlin plugs - call for recommendations, I did and bought an assortment of 20 plugs for various engines. So far so good.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Pylonracr

The prop is a 12.5x8.5 Formula 1 cut down to 10 3/4 Dia. I live at 4500' so things are a little weak up here.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:14 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Be real careful, that Master Airscrew Formula 1 prop is way over factory rating on the ground at 19K, even factoring in the cut down. 17200 for Master. Will it let go, I don't know, but I would never be in the plane of the prop arc. It could let go in flight as it unloads, if it does it could kill the plane, engine or both if it throws the blades.

When adjusting the needle be as far back as possible, even better use a servo driven remote needle, which is how most guys adjust these engines during flight. Remember to keep spectators out of harms way.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Pylonracr

Very true.
So far I have only got the engine up to about 17,500 with the cut down prop, which is only a little over the max. You will notice I said I plan to prop it to 19k, I am still looking for a suitable prop for that. The plane has not flown yet, and my running has been on a bench with a remote needle. I posted on another thread my desire to buy some of the carbon props, but I don't think a 9x10 is enough diameter for my plane. If you have any other ideas I am open for suggestions.

Scott
Old 05-07-2011, 07:26 AM
r-c-guy
My Feedback: (37)

Hi

I did the same thing with a 40 to 50 sized Stilletto Mustang a couple of years ago.
It was fitted with an Eagletree Telemetry system.
I used an OS 91 vrdf (best behaved), a Rossi 1.08 vrdf (a beast) and a BVM 96 vrdf (the fastest)
Fuel ranged from 15 to 40% nirto
Plugs which lasted were Rossi racing, Enya 4 and K&B 1L if you can still find them. I used an in-flight glow battery

PM me if you wish...

randy
Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

For that rpm range, I've found good durability with the YS/OS 4c (F) plugs. Not sure you can buy the KB 1L plugs anymore, but I did not find them any better than the F plugs.